I've decided to stretch my skills a bit and go for an air show finish (because goodness knows I'm not too flash when it comes to spotless gloss). Here's the bird I'm trying to replicate:
I've got the 1/32 academy kit, together with loads of aftermarket goodness:
- Dmold resin intakes,
- Rhino burner cans,
- Aires cockpit,
- G-factor landing gear,
- cutting edge decals (thanks very kindly to LSP member Rohan C, who sold me the latter); and
- some really beautiful Airscale cockpit decals and placards.
Being a glutton for punishment, I'm going to try to find someone to turn the decals into masks and do the whole thing as paint masks ... not sure if it's brave or foolish. Haven't been able to get anyone to commit to make the masks yet so fingers crossed we can make it work.
Anyway, on with the photos! I managed to get almost a full weekend at the bench last weekend as Mrs ClumsyDude took the kids up to Cairns to visit the outlaws (big win for everyone really). I didn't take photos of all the stuff, I figure y'all know what the academy hornet box looks like ... but I did get a nod to tradition with the "Washing of the Resin Bits".
The quality of all of them is really superb. The Aires pit is just superb - thanks Nic (Zero77) for your awesome review. It will be a serious test of my skills to do justice to it.
So construction (as the kids say) starts with the cockpit. I got going first on the Aires seat (detail is amazing) and had a crack at the seatbelts. They may be inaccurate for a RAAF hornet - I've only found one decent reference photo and it isn't clear at all what's happening with the belts. So I've gone off a really detailed set of photos I found over on Aircraft Resource Centre. Seat is likely to look like a NASA hornet, hopefully they're pretty similar to the Aussie ones.
For starters, there seems to be an extra lap belt (seems weird but the photos don't lie). So I used an Aires buckle and added a belt made from a sliced up US $1 bill.
Here we are with some PE origami for the main belts and buckles:
SEAWARS cylinders made out of Albion alloys micro tubing
Ready for primer!
I had really been dreading the PE belts, but with a solid bit of annealing they turned out OK. Very pleased!
More PE origami on the rudder pedals:
Edited by ClumsyDude, 23 December 2017 - 10:24 AM.