A Texan in the Heart of Darkness - T-6G in Biafran war

dutik

Hello!

Finished my first piloted LSP build, a Caudron 714 in gaudy colours. Time to start a new build. Another prop with another odd paintjob. How about a North American Texan in the Heart of Darkness? Just one word:

Biafra.

A lot of darkness, indeed. And some small aircraft.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

What we have now:

biafra1brbns.jpg

Kitty Hawks kit

Eduard self adhesive zoom interior

Eduard pre-painted seatbelts

Eduard masks

Biafra decals

The kit arrived today. All we need to start now.

You don't see the decals? That's quite right - the Biafran Texans didn't wear any markings :wicked:

Enjoy!

- dutik

Don't forget about the landing gear placement... 

Sure! I thing below the wings might be a good place? :hmmm:

:rofl:

Thank you for pointing out, assistance is always welcome. I am aware of the needed relocation.

We have a nice discussion of the kit as well as the French Texans here in the forum. Have to check the details at the linked French homepage. Looks very interesting.

Regards

- dutik

First steps:

biafra20djh0.jpg

It took a whole week to remove the parts from the sprues and to clean them up. Fit is good and instrutions are well, but the sprue gates are very large. Jurassic, to be correct. I highly recommend to use a razor saw. Cutting with a knife or nippers would damage the parts. There was also flash in some places. Not that little bit of fishskin. Really solid flash. 2 millimetres thick at the trailing edge of the wing center part... Reminds me of short run kits of the 90ies, Pegasus, AER, Toga and such. Also recommend to drill out all alignment holes, or most of the pins will not fit.

If you are past this exercise things start to work in good order. Now after painting the cockpit interior it just needs some wheatering before I put the PE parts on and build the whole cockpit assembly up.

Regards

- dutik

Dryfit of the cockpit frames:

biafra3x8uik.jpg

The Eduard PE is really nice. Recommended! The tub still lacks the seats, a crossbar and the long side paneel. Folding the PE seatbelts at the moment. Fiddly, but another winner. Looks much better than the kit parts, even with closed canopy.

Regards

- dutik

Nice. I am working on this kit right now as well.

I am up in the air between a French bird in Algeria or a Portugese one in Mozambique. Leaning towards latter.

I was kinda thinking of doing a Biafran one a little later so I will definately watch this build.

Zach

Guest Clunkmeister

Dutic, of all the people on this site, I had to go and remind YOU about the gear legs. ;)

You, the master of research.. heck you probably knew about the gear issue 2 years before KHM decided to kit the darn thing!

I must confess that you inspired me to read about the Nigerian Civil War, which I had not even heard of before. And people say this is just a silly hobby. You just gave me a history lesson!!

Tim

I've learned a lot about history from modelling as well as tabletopping. The north african/Arab, Somalia/Black Hawk down and South African wars are somewhat better known in the west, but there was a lot more of fighting in the last century. Biafra (Invaders and Texans vs. Mig-17 and Il-28), Kongo (heck, the United Nations used swedish Tunnan jets to fight the mercenaries in Katanga) (wish someone would make a Tunnan in LSP scale), Ogaden war (were a F-5 pilot downed 5 Migs), even the Great African War, an epic struggle the size of a small world war...

Dutic, of all the people on this site, I had to go and remind YOU about the gear legs. ;)

You, the master of research.. heck you probably knew about the gear issue 2 years before KHM decided to kit the darn thing!

ROFL!  :punk:  One of the nice things here in the forum is that the members share a lot of knowledge and discuss the pro and cons of every kit in depth and civilian manner (except WW2 German stuff, that always ends in a knife fight :whistle: ). So it is easy to learn about any project even before you opened up the box, and you even don't need to buy references. It's all here in the forum. And if something is not here - just ask, and someone will answer :speak_cool:

OK, cockpit glued in place:

biafra46mu3i.jpg

More to come soon.

Regards

- dutik