Azur Caudron CR 714 C1 "White 11"

dutik

Hello!

This is Azurs Caudron CR 714 C1 in the French colours in June 1940. Pilot is ppor. Marian Lukaszewicz of 1st Escadrille GC 1/145 at the airfield of Dreux in France. Construction number is 8550, callsign I-208. The aircraft was written off after a forced landing at 8/6/40.

caudron25rtjgx.jpg

caudron28iljt9.jpg

caudron29szjx3.jpg

caudron26p3kfb.jpg

caudron34d7rhf.jpg

caudron354poz3.jpg

This is a pure out of the box build. Only areas of concern were the rear joint between wingroot and fuselage, where a real large gap had to be filled (I think the wing got warped in the box) and the placement of the cockpit front bulkhead. The lower antenna has to be tilted back on the ground or the rear wheel will not touch the ground. I used Lifecolor French paints and Humbrol Maskol for the camouflage pattern, as well as Montex masks for the canopy. The kits decals were trimmed and rearranged into the "white 11". Building the kit was a joy. Highly recommended!

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

It fought, yes, but apparently not very well. The Poles had limited success before losing most of the 35 they received to German fighters. The Finns disliked them so much they withdrew their's from active service before they even had a chance to see combat.

I believe the main problem was an under-powered engine and no room to put in something better.

• 2 weeks later...

Love that camo scheme.

But to call it "wacky"? :wacko:

It does what it is supposed to do, break up the contours of the airplane so it is difficult for another pilot to see it, to focus on it, to aim at it. 

This  is no more wacky than many of the Nazis schemes for their fighters. The Italians had very interesting camo schemes as did the French.

Only the Americans had the simple idea that one color on top was camouflage. That to me is wacky. But I was not there when the guys who ran the USAAF in the early 1940's were making their decisions. So I cannot say.

But all good camouflage schemes, up to stealth, are "wacky".

If you really want "wacky" look at how the USA & Brits camouflaged their ships in WW1. Those are very interesting.

StEphEn