"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

This will be my diorama entry for the 2017 US NATs. I have never entered a diorama in any contest ever.  "Die Bergung" translates to "The Recovery". Which this is..................Ive wanted to do this one for QUITE some years now, but up until last year I did not have all the pieces of the puzzle so-to-speak, thus the dio had to wait until I had a (preferably) IM version of what I needed. 
I initially purchased some card/paper models as a sub, but as it was not IM plastic the desire to start the project was diminished. Having finished up my last commission build for a while, I wanted to start on something unique, different, and a bit more involved.........but mainly something for ME.

In this case, this dio idea I had, fits all those bills, and thanks to Profimodeller, I finally had all of the IM pieces of this diorama fall into place as well. Since I wanted to enter the dio class for the US NATs next year, + the fact that scalewarship.com has still not come out with all the pieces to start my Fly Wessex, I figured this would be as good as time as any to start this diorama.

It will consist of a Scheuch Schlepper tractor & Hydraulisch Anhänger backing up in process to recover a recently landed Me-163 from 2/JG400, a small two man recovery crew, an Me-163 pilot walking back from his rocket plane, all on a custom made grass board.

As customary with anyone who knows my builds, I like to do the prototypical WIP start and show some pics of what I am starting off with. 
Here is an overall pic of the main components of the build:

DSC05718.jpg

First up of coarse is the Komet. I chose the Meng kit, as I am not fond of rescribing, and the other niggles of the kit I can work around.

DSC05723.jpg

Next up, are the other two main components of the diorama, The Scheuch Schlepper and the Hydraulisch Anhänger. Both are from from Profimodeller, and replace the Orlik paper Schlepper and Anhänger I initially was planning on using. Both are REALLY nice little kits, and are highly detailed. Im no expert on either vehicle, but they look good from some of the original grainy B&W combat photos I have seen, and will fit the bill nicely for what I want to do here:

DSC05719.jpg

Next is the lovely set of decals from Rocketeer that are currently sold out. Although Im thinking of saving having to cut up the sheet for just a few decals, and making my own in combination with the kit decals (If anyone is interested in this untouched set of sold out decals, I would only ask to get my money back out of them + shipping):

DSC05720.jpg

Next up is the Aires Me-163 cockpit set, which is quite lovely for sure, and one of the most unique parts of the build, some really awesome resin 2/JG400 badges w/Oracal 810 masks for the dio base thanks to Mikkel AKA Mebo here on LSP:

DSC05721.jpg

Last up is the "Boarding Preparation Set" from Zoukei-Mura that I intend on modifying to suite my needs. This is technically for the Kettenkrad, but after I modify them, they should work with the Schlepper nicely. Then there is the walking Me-163 rocket pilot from Retro-kit, also a nice bit of molding, and saves me from having to re-create the Komet pilots chemically resistant flight suite. There is also the Me-163B one piece canopy and mask set from Alley Cat:

DSC05722.jpg

I will be putting lots of my own mods into this one, some to correct and others to enhance. I plan on making my own decals for Werke # 191904 as it appeared in early/to mid 1945, as apposed to when I was captured by the Allies later in 1945 (minus the "1" as most evidence I have in this scheme, there seems to be no # at all behind the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage ). I will also be going with a more defined hard side mottling as you see below, as opposed to the less defined more soft edge mottling. It may or may not be accurate, but I like the look a lot better, and think it will add to the overall visual impact of the diorama: 

2b5419452c2f70cd29a7a94d506c4089.jpg

Thats it for the start of this one guys. It took me SEVERAL hours to clean and clear the bench after my last couple of commission builds. In this case I think its going to feel really great to not only work on some scenics with a few different models, but also to be able to do some custom non-OOB stuff, as well as being able to actually keep the damn thing at the end of it all!   :lol:
I dont build quite as fast in the summer months, so Im not entirely sure how fast this one will go, but I know Im looking forward to it. Thanks for stopping in on me, and I hope you'll be around for the ride. I hope to have some starting progress soon. 

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

You've kept this one quiet, Brian! Looking forward to it, mate, as it looks like a very interesting project.

Kev

Haha, thanks Kev. The only thing I really let on about it, was the post some years back in 2013 asking for help from our German friends which is why I settled on the name of the dio.............that and I didnt trust Google translate as far as I could throw it.   :lol:

I haven't quite figured out what the size, shape or material the base will be made out of, but that is a bridge I will come to in the future. For now, Ill be getting a start on all the machinery, then move slowly to the base, and how/where to attach the 2/JG400 badges, and what to make the grass landing strip out of. 

Cheers,

Justin, Mikkel, thanks for dropping in on me.  :) 

Looks real good Brian, cant wait to see that Schlepper come together. I have something similar planned, so ill be watching 

Thanks again for the EXCELLENT badges my friend!   These will REALLY set off the project nicely.