Got wood? - 1/16 Fokker DVII from scratch

BiggTim

So, a few weeks ago, I got a little burnt out on plastic, and decided to do something in wood for a change. I set aside the P-38 and broke out an old Comet Fokker DVII kit, and started working on it. Well, the kit was too basic for my current taste, so I got some good technical drawings and blew them up to 1/16 scale, and started building it from scratch instead. I decided to challenge myself a little, and vowed to make it only out of wood, paper, or cloth, nothing else. Now, I don;t claim to know a darn thing about this plane, so it's not technically correct, but it's been fun so far. Here's where I'm at for the time being. We'll see how long it keeps my interest!

IMG_5149_zpsf7l1bhqp.jpg

IMG_5151_zpsslka0tuk.jpg

IMG_5150_zpseaxujik9.jpg

IMG_5147_zpspmwu7dfz.jpg

Edited by BiggTim

Nice work.

Are you leaving it 'au natural' or painting it up as you would with a plastic kit?

Matt

I haven't decided yet. I was going to cover it with fabric (hand painted) but I'm reluctant to cover it up now. There are a lot of seams and glue joints that don't look too good close-up, so maybe I'll go ahead and cover it, or maybe just halfway? I guess I'll see how the mood strikes me when, and if, I get it all framed. I may switch back and forth between a few things to keep from getting burnt out, but right now, it's pretty fun! 

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Brilliant idea and I'm blown away by your skills with balsa.

Keep 'em coming

peter

Edited by Peterpools