Merit 1/24 Fokker Dr. 1

Sparzanza

My mother bought this kit for me as a christmas present, and I couldn't help myself but to put everything else on hold and get right to business. It's such a small model for being 1/24, and not a lot of pieces... so let's begin.

Started off with making my own cushion for it out of Milliput:

DSC00091_zpsupkt9erd.jpg

The internal framing thingiemajigs goes together well enough:

DSC00090_zpsssehxirt.jpg

Decided to glue every single engine component in place before painting for things to really sit properly:

DSC00093_zpstnqetjvo.jpg

Primed stuff with Vallejo black primer:

DSC00095_zps6zmmjxvo.jpg

RLM02 and Humbrol 191 on the internals:

DSC00097_zpskeuosp31.jpg

Pretty happy with how the wooden floor turned out; I first painted the plain piece of plastic with Humbrol 110, and when it was close to being touch-dry, I brushed through it again with a dry brush to create the brush strokes and thus simulating woody things. After that I made some streaks with a very dark brown, and then I gave it a black wash and on top of that I did some drybrushing with lighter shades of brown.

DSC00098_zpstpucds8c.jpg

The propeller and the weird > (that I had to paint in place myself) things on the cockpit walls also recieved this treatment:

DSC00110_zpsu3usjrfn.jpg

DSC00118_zpso2sqxkwi.jpg

DSC00106_zpsxnbyqkau.jpg

Cockpit more or less completed; There were 4 decals to put in there - all of them dials. They were a bit too big to fit in their intended slots, but MicroSol softened them up nicely and made them fit snugly. I also had to make my own seatbelts, which didn't turn out too bad at all.

DSC00111_zps2bzitznk.jpg

All right Sparz! Good show So far!....Harv

Thanks Harv, glad to have you aboard!

Looks awesome Sparz. Your skills have really come along, the product is terrific.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the compliment Jim!

Looking great and you make sure you give your Mum a big hug.   :D

That's a super Christmas present!

Very interested in this kit so it is wonderful to see one built.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Oh yes, I did indeed give her a hug. :) Hopefully I can do the kit justice.

Have you decided on a scheme yet?

I wanted an all red one, but I guess those serial (?) number decals on the sides wouldn't be correct for this, so I'll have to go with the horrid boxart scheme. I did consider the other scheme of Fritz Kempf as well, but alas... I really want a Richtofen bird.

Edited by Sparzanza

Wow! Looking great and you are really cruising along, too!

John

Thank you John!

Nice going, wonder how any of this would work in the old 1/28 Revel kit?

Some of the photo lighting appears yellow, what source is it?

Thanks for sharing, wanted to see details of kit too.

I'm snapping pictures with my cellphone, so this is as good as it gets I'm afraid. I've played with the white balance a little, but one can only do so much with such an old phone. :/

The filling process continues. I needed to keep the surface detail underneath the fuselage intact though, so after filling the annoying seam thoroughly I started rubbing cottonbuds soaked with acetone over the area to rid it of all excess filler, thus keeping the detail intact while still getting rid of the seam. I can't thank Boris enough for teaching me this technique!

DSC00122_zps9ganmco7.jpg
DSC00123_zpslib2f4i1.jpg
DSC00124_zpsqtzo6hpo.jpg
DSC00125_zps7gsjcssn.jpg

The engine still needs some work; washes and a flatcoat and whatnot, but here's how it stands thus far:

DSC00126_zpsattjma1n.jpg
DSC00127_zps8mudw5ne.jpg

And finally one of the machineguns. Not too good at bending PE, but this went ok...ish. I hope nobody can see the underside of it once it's all assembled though!

DSC00128_zps4bjama9j.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

And finally one of the machineguns. Not too good at bending PE, but this went ok...ish. I hope nobody can see the underside of it once it's all assembled though!

Looking great! I am impressed.

A little trick for PE gun jackets. Anneal the brass by running it thru a flame.  A candle is usually good enough. The flames on your gas stove are usually too much. (Ask how I know!). Then use a drill bit to form the jacket. It helps to press down on a soft surface allowing the brass to form around the drill bit.

Good luck!

Brent

Looking great! I am impressed.

Thanks Brent, welcome aboard!

Sparz

WOW ... The Fokker is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see the DR1 wearing some paint\Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, I too look forward seeing her painted up!

DANG....

Geez giant leaps in building Sparz...damn you shure hell improved tons since the last time....and not to.mention the photos yove taken.

Oh my impressive indeed....

Keep em coming.

/Mal

Thanks for dropping by Mal. :)

Well, I messed up one of the decals... I figured I'd have to put it on before doing any painting since... er I don't know. It's the one on the landing gear platform thingiemajig. The thing is, I had already glued on the sticks/stabilizers, meaning the decal couldn't go on correctly - I tried working around this by making holes in the decals but it looked like crap, so. Off the decal went. I don't know if I'll bother trying to paint that horrid whatever it's supposed to be green with streaks in it, or just go for an all red variant that I wanted from the beginning.

Edited by Sparzanza

Getting ever closer to slapping some paint on this bird!

Doing some dryfitting of the center wings and the now painted machineguns. Most of the stuff fits very well on this kit.

DSC00129_zpslvzdvms0.jpg

The machineguns aren't entirely done, I still need to do some weathering to the brown spots!

DSC00130_zpsun3o045x.jpg

Upper wings and landing gear platform assembled and filled/sanded... sadly I did the mistake of gluing the sticks onto the landing gear platform as well, which meant the decal couldn't go on. Oh well.

DSC00131_zps7rplswi5.jpg

Another pic of the engine after a Flory grime wash:

DSC00132_zpsaddddbgz.jpg