So my last post was somewhat gloomy. Which, if anything, should be taken as a testament to my own process and fumblings. I've been trying new techniques for the last year or so, and while learning alot, I've also had my share of face plants.
With that said, I've more pics of my efforts to close up the main wing section.
A follow up pic of the main landing gears and bays. These were done with a base coat of Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black and then Gunze C69 Off White. Details were brought out with Mig Dark Wash and everything blended together with light spot coat of Gunze C156 Super White (which was rather finicky in the airbrush). Of course, the gear is still unpainted.
Holes for the cannon barrels (to be cut from thin walled brass tubing) were drilled deeper for later. The shell ejection ports were also covered from the back and will be painted black later.
Here, a great reference shot of the cannons. It appears that the guns are loosely placed on this museum example, hence the strange slightly cockeyed angles.
The kit piece for the outlet vent on the upper spine was a little narrow by the time I finished cleaning up the opening, so a new vent was scratch built from sheet styrene.
A reference pic- now that it is posted here side-by-side with the kit piece, it looks narrower, longer and located further from the spine. hmmm.
The NACA duct on the belly was cleaned up, grated and covered over to force the dark internal shadow.
A reference pic. I didn't have anything like this type of grating, so I used the square pattern mesh that I had on hand.
Once all the internal details (including the engine) were in place, the upper and lower wing sections were glued together. Despite test fitting dozens of times, it wasn't until I was halfway done that I noticed that the gear bay was too big and touching the upper half. The result was a big gap along the leading edge. I forced the pieces together to close the gap and glued the heck out of it. However, I was still concerned that it might pop later on, I decided to pin the area. Holes were drilled and scrap brass rod pins were driven in each hole. The pins were cut short so the either end resulted with a counter sink. The empty hole is were my cheap chinese drill bit broke, becoming an impromptu pin.
The left side was cleaned up and panel lines replaced where needed. The plates for the strakes were quite misaligned, so I made a rubbing, sanded them off and cut a replacement from lead sheet. Here, the first one is in place. The second one next to the slat is next.
The wing section as it sits now. The trailing edge and rear section still await glue, but I want to settle accounts along the leading edges first. The good news is that the wings look straight and aligned from the front.
Still alot to do, but overall, this is coming together relatively fast.
Thanks for looking!
Edited by EmperorKai, 07 July 2015 - 02:36 AM.