Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter FGA Mk9

TaffyMan

Hi Folks - Not been around much lately but have been following the work going on. Some pretty darn good stuff as usual…. I'm trying to find some work?? not much luck at the moment but now the election in the UK is over I'm hoping things might loosen up a bit now

So if anyone needs some Graphics or knows of anybody needing some done please give me a shout! :thumbsup:  Need to earn some money to feed my plastic habbit!

As I was saying bit bored with the work/job hunt(er) :whistle: …….. So I thought I would start my next build. Keeping with my early British Jets theme - next one up for me is the Hunter Mk9 also bought some bits for her!

Obligatory thread starter photog

001-Hunter-Mk9_zpsrc7zeegr.jpg

Also got some Masks for the paint work….. but then when I get to the glassing I forgot about them and wasted my time cutting them!

You know how it goes :doh: - “I thought I had bought some masks for this?†I said out loud. Rummaging around for a bit….. move stuff ….. even attempt to clean the desk area!!!!!

Give up and cut them ………. pick up the piece of paper that is in the upturned box top ……. and surprise ….. I thought I had bought some masks!!!! :shrug: Well I've painted it now so a bit bleed-en late! Doh!!!!!

Anyway been bashing away at this one for about the last month on and off so her it is.

Cut the fans out of the Flightpath Brass - WOW this is thick Brass PE after going through three blades in quick succession. I resorted to some small nail clippers and scissors. Means a lot more cleaning up….. But a dammed sight easier than trying to cut it with the knife.

I left the kit fan part as a backing just sprayed it a dark mix of grey and metaliser.

Pic with the intakes spayed with Aluminium Primer. Polished with a bit of kitchen towel. Then a layer of MM Semi Gloss and a light oil was to finish

002-Hunter-Mk9_zpssyi8pr4g.jpg

Then on to the cockpit. This is my first time using a resin cockpit detail set. Its okay but I like to use decals for the dials rather than the moulded raised details. Just my choice. So to that ends in a fit of madness :mental: decided to spend a couple of hours scraping all the raised detail out of the dials, with my smallest micro chisel. Uhhhhhhhhh not a fun job, defiantly hard on the eyes. So got them done and level and smooth - or as smooth as I am going to get them - ready for some Airscale decals.

For the cockpit I used a couple of bits of the PE - Floor and the Foot Pedals. I also used some Airscale's brass on some of the handles to give the a bit more depth.

Okay won't bore you with the constructing bits, get to the painting.

003-Hunter-Mk9_zpsvtvfjdhl.jpg

First a coat of a mid grey followed with some mixed in Humbrol Semi Gloss black next the colours. A gloss coat followed with oils followed by decals finally sealed these in with a drop of floor polish.

004-Hunter-Mk9_zps3edvxu6o.jpg

Still thought this was all still a bit too glossy so gave it a very gentle once over with some MM Matt. Then re-glossed the dials

Right what was next - Fuselage …. Oh yeah inspired by Eric and the work he did on his Sabre's grills thought I would give it a go…… So after much cutting out of the grills and a hole in the bottom for a PE door, plus the hole for the air-break ram… ohhh plus many other holes in it! It did look like it had a sever case of AAA Flack Rash….. Then it was a case of filling these holes back up.

The grills

006-Hunter-Mk9_zpsrw7erhz1.jpg

The other side

005-Hunter-Mk9_zpsd7qp5x1t.jpg

One of then went a bit wonky so cut it out and re did it.

For the Air-break I did intend to use the Flightpath one but after constructing it decided it looked way out of scale more on the side profile the length is fine but the depth looks way over to me.

All the PE cut out and cleaned up ready

007-Hunter-Mk9_zps5vz7yqr9.jpg

her you can see the PE with the kit part. Nice detail in the PE but just looks way to deep and a bit clunky too me. So I will use the kit part with a very slight sag so you can see into it.

008-Hunter-Mk9_zpsf2i2qtn5.jpg

Okay with all the Pit done painted. The Jet pipe done and painted. Plus all the holes filled that needed filling at this stage it was time to seal her up, fit the gunsight and start the glassing. Then you realise somehow you managed to break the arm of the gunsight :fight:

So a small bit of plastic later and some shaping with a tiny fine file It was ready to paint again. Okay, just don't look to close

009-Hunter-Mk9_zpswz1hxq20.jpg

Okay Guy and Gals - started will be back with some more in a minute

Taff - :D

Okay back with part two

The jet pipe - wished I had thinned the outside down a bit now - uhhhmmmm close in picture syndrome! (CIPS) Really doesn't help.

016-Hunter-Mk9_zpslcoq0pw7.jpg

So whilst this dried I fitted the front wheel bay and guns. I pinned this front leg on the horizontal ….. :hmmm: Uhhhmmm I am now wondering if I should have pinned it on the vertical as well! But it does seem quite sturdy…. Fingers crossed.

010-Hunter-Mk9_zpsyo4h4zjt.jpg

With the guns and front wheel bay in, it was time to add some weight to the nose - held in place with some Milliput. And also with the gunsight in I could now put the front canopy on. This was stuck on with some ClearFix and left over night

a bit more Hunter-esk

011-Hunter-Mk9_zpsrnnkvtur.jpg

I blended the front canopy into the fuselage using some Supper Glue and talk with some Mr S 500 painted on afterwards. Then some gental rubbing down.

012-Hunter-Mk9_zpscoooctac.jpg

Gave it a quick blow over with a mix of dark grey and matt black to check.

013-Hunter-Mk9_zps8srf0rqk.jpg

Looks okay to me - will need to add some of the canopy rivet detail back in. But other wise looking pretty good to me.

Next it was move to the nose. for this I drilled yet another hole in her for the gun camera. The camera was made from some thined out micro brass tube pushed into each other. A blast of Alclad Steel  and a home made lens from some stretched clear sprue polished and shaped. Finished off with a punched out bit of clear packaging.

Looks kind a nice ….

014-Hunter-Mk9_zpsnn2moaa0.jpg

I have also given the nose a spray of my Aluminium primer and a light coat of its finished colour so that I can mask the camera of easier with out too much worry of messing up the nice clean colour area.

Side profile - I do like her - The Hunter, IMO, has some very nice sleek lines. :wub:

015-Hunter-Mk9_zps94g76t5f.jpg

But as you can see from the above pic I had a hell of a job getting the nose to line up! This was a compromise with the left and right in line, but with a slight gap. But the top and bottom giving me a lip.

So some more talk and glue for filler and some more MrS 500 to blend I finally got it in line just need to tide up the and scribe some lines.

Couldn't resist tapping the wings on for a check fit and look see - Ohhh nice!!!!! :thumbsup:

017-Hunter-Mk9_zpsxlcprn1u.jpg

Okay folks, a bit of big-un for the opener but have been meaning to start this tread for a while so next episodes should be in smaller lumps.

Any suggestions , comments always welcome.

Till next time have fun - Taff :D

Well Taff,

We share something in common on different sides of the "POND"  

I LOVE the HUNTER and built 1 and have 2 more in the stash

I too have gotten bored, mad, sad, Pi$$ed off, worried,loooking for work

Building helps some days better than others,

I did a quick build on mine and did a Desert Camo,

Looking forward to your rendition and both our builds will slow because we have to go to work

jack

WOW, nice. And in such a short time. So you'll be done tonight ? :innocent: Will watch.....Harv :popcorn:

Cheers Harvey - I wish I could turn them around that fast ..... but no I am back to Glacial pace - Had to do repairs to fences, trellis and greenhouse this weekend! Thanks to the high winds we got last week. But I have made some time tomorrow, after cutting the lawns so might get some progress soon.

The Hawker Hunter is one of the most beautiful, elegant and epic aircraft designs ever - and you do it justice. I love this WIP :wub:

Lothar

Cheers Lothar - Yep I do find her sleek lines :wub:

Not a big Hunter fan, but this is some terrific work Taff. Awesome stuff! Good to see you back, too, buddy, and best of luck with the job hunt!

Kev

Cheers mate - nice to be back but still pounding the internet for work ..... just got keep on smiling and trying! 

:D

Taffy.

GOOD start... like it... :m0152:

its coming along quite nicely indeed..

everytime I see a Hunter I think I wish I still had MINE...

Ta Maru is that a 1:1 scale one or a model? If it was a 1:1 I am very envious! The closes I got was an open day at my Dads Base. I have a picture somewhere of me aged about 6 with a massive helmet on my head sat in one.

I love the Hunter and have this kit and the Flightpath detail sets in my stash.  Following this one closely.  Good work!

Hi Amurray - I hope I don't lead you astray then! Oh and good luck with the Flightpath PE it is very thick I have resorted to nail clippers and a small pair of scissors. Just couldn't get my knifes to go through it.

Taff

Fantastic progress on one beautiful airplane.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for looking in Peter - She is a looker lets hope my Banana fingers can work some magic with her!

Well Taff,

We share something in common on different sides of the "POND"  

I LOVE the HUNTER and built 1 and have 2 more in the stash

I too have gotten bored, mad, sad, Pi$$ed off, worried,loooking for work

Building helps some days better than others,

I did a quick build on mine and did a Desert Camo,

Looking forward to your rendition and both our builds will slow because we have to go to work

jack

Cheers Jack - love the Hunter and I looked in on your desert one  - very nice and I was tempted to do one. Looks nice and smart in the desert scheme! Yep done a couple of days looking around for work so tomorrow, after cutting the grass, is a build day for me.  :thumbsup: 

Good luck with the hunt mate..... just have to keep plugging away

Thanks all for looking in and your comments - Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi Amurray - I hope I don't lead you astray then! Oh and good luck with the Flightpath PE it is very thick I have resorted to nail clippers and a small pair of scissors. Just couldn't get my knifes to go through it.

I have a hacksaw at the ready!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, loverly. The Hunter is a nice looking airplane and you are making a great job of this kit.

I did the Revell Hunter in 1/72 and that was a nice kit. This one looks good too.

I have a hacksaw at the ready!  :)

Hi - Hacksaw ...... :hmmm:  good luck some of it might be on the thick side but it does bend in a slight breeze!!! I'm finding the best method so far is to cut out the bits then score bend and snap. Does mean loads of clean up with a file but that's better than a dented finger and a load of blades. Working on the landing flaps at the mo so much to cutout !!!!!!

Oooh, loverly. The Hunter is a nice looking airplane and you are making a great job of this kit.

I did the Revell Hunter in 1/72 and that was a nice kit. This one looks good too.

Pretty nice kit and seems to go together okay at the moment - not to many issues yet, see how it goes to the end?

Any pics or links to your 1/72 build?

Hello Tafffy..

how is this coming along..done any more

thank you

:)

Cheers Maru - Yep fighting piles of metal at the mo - someone wrote on LSP that the Flightpath flaps where a masochistic exerciser :mental: - They weren't kidding its like being whipped with big sticks and nettles, as they say around my neck of the woods.

Lovely work, love the Hunter too!

Cheers Radders hope to get a bit more progress up soon.

Cheers for looking in - looks like rain all day today so should get some time on this - These flaps are driving me nuts :frantic: ........ more ribs to cutout - clean up - and stick!!?? Took me most of the day to do the port one with some clean up still to do - plus also watching the FA cup final! So should be starboard Flap, Wheels and Legs tomorrow with luck.

Happy Days -  Taff :D

• 2 weeks later...

Loic - Thanks for looking in mate! :thumbsup:

how-de-do-de folks

Well I'v been ticking away at this one so it's about time I pulled my finger out and updated this build!

Okay the heavy metal fight with the Flightpath Flaps - :fight:

Wow this really pushed me to the edge - still not sure if I'll use them ……… after a weeks worth of fighting - bit crazy!!!! :mental:

So after much cutting, filling, fileing, bending and gluing got this for my efforts.

021-Hunter-Mk9_zpsmnn8ey9i.jpg

Not the best but I am getting better with this PE stuff - the old adage “Practice - Practice†The old Micro Photog doesn't help. God they look as rough as a Badgers arse! (Local saying)

Okay that was one side down …… tuther to do - also note where the big finger print of glue was! :hmmm: With a bit of paint this won't show? fingers crossed!

So onward……… :frantic: AHHHHHHHHH more cutting!

Right after a couple of evenings work managed to get them ready for the paint - I primed of the areas with some Car Aluminium Primer, a bit of pre-shading - just to give them a bit of tonal variation. Then sprayed a thin coat of Alclad Aluminuim.

This is where I got to. This has been given a coat of floor polish to give it some protection - just need to give it a bit more weathering but not too much and a little bit of a pin wash.

023-Hunter-Mk9_zpsl5budjhe.jpg

So after all the pleasure of the flaps. I thought I would get some light relief with the main wheel wells ……….?

Okay after once again struggling with the :shrug: hieroglyphics that Flightpath give you as instructions I started the cutting away of the top part of the kits wheel wells. I did this by using my home made sanding block and grinding down from the top. This left me one end taken away whilst leaving the other end still in place…. Think that's what the instructions say……. But hay they are more vague than your average politician! And the illustrations aren't much clearer than the written instructions.

So enough whinging - Pictures

018-Hunter-Mk9_zpsqxt7dmww.jpg

The edge that I had left from the kit part crumbled away on one side so I decided to cut it away completely and replace it with some small U plastic. Not accurate but then not convinced the whole wheel well is, when compared to my ref pictures. Also the bit in the top corner (with the holes in it) is on upside down, couldn't work it out from the instructions so took a guess! Then thought to look at my ref pictures and :doh: Doh! 50/50 chance and I got wrong!

But in hindsight I think I would have been better to cut the plastic back bit out - it would have given it a more realistic look.

First thing I did next was give it a coat of primer then a coat of Alclad steel. To brighten this a bit, it was given a very light coat of aluminium. It was at this point I suddenly thought… I haven't tested the leg fit. :frantic: Ahhhh because you cut the roof away there is no attachment left for the ram. I made this out of some of the Airscale cockpit brass PE and some Meng plastic nuts. Fewwww - wwwweeeee okay I can live with that so I can get back to my wiring.

019-Hunter-Mk9_zpsaemlkvin.jpg

The final bits in place - just need some final weathering and a pin wash - which I will come back to later.

024-Hunter-Mk9_zpskt67cj3y.jpg

Okay no where near accurate but adds a bit of interest - for those with the inclanation to take a look.

Next up was the Wheels - I looked at the Flightpath offerings here. And to be honest the main wheels IMO isn't worth the pain - first trying to work out from the instructions what to do then second I asked myself “does it add any more than I'm getting from the kit part†- and my thoughts are no! In fact I think it will make them look flatter and more 2D! And the kit wheels aren't that bad that you could use them and not bother with the PE at all.

But the front wheel is worth doing IMO. I gave up with the instructions and just cut away the bits I thought needed removing to what I could see in photographs. I also gave it an axel with some micro brass tube as this wheel has to take quite a lot of weight and I wasn't convinced that just the PE inset would hold it. In fact I am thinking I might have to revisit the front fork and drill it to insert some brass rod for more strength, hense I used tube and not rod for the axel - I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I also adde some small - I think they are bolt heads? - that are missing of the PE with some thin candle alluminum.

020-Hunter-Mk9_zps2qdutpo6.jpg

So after spending ages doing all this fiddly and FAF stuff It was nice to get to sticking some big items together. At least that looks like progress to me. First up was sealing up the main wings. Whilst they where drying I moved to the tail feathers. This involved removing the moulded on detail from the tail and then my least favorite job rescribed the lines in that got removed. Cut off the PE replacements, I also soften the edges of these with some fine sand paper as they look to be more rounded on my Ref pics. And then finally, sticking everything together.

022-Hunter-Mk9_zpse2dne5ny.jpg

Yeah!!!! :D  Next a bit of a fight with trying to get the main wings to sit in properly - some FAF and a bit of plastic shaving later got then to sit as good as I could. Still a bit of a gap on the connection between the inner air intake and the mouth. Not sure what to do about this? If anyone has got any pointer or ideas about this area - please let me know? :help:

So last pic for this update

025-Hunter-Mk9_zpsh1lpfgk2.jpg

Hummmmm....... starting to look like a hunter at last! Need to do a bit of clean up work on the wings - so that should keep me occupied for a while…… till next time Happy Modelling peeps!

Taff :D