RFI Kitty Hawk OV-10A Black Ponies

Out2gtcha

This is the forthcoming (August 2015 release) Kitty Hawk 1/32nd OV-10A.

What can I say...........................Its a great kit. VERY few flaws, great fit all the way around, VERY few large omissions or errors, and will have a price point (at least as far as I can judge by the cost of the D model Bronco that is) that most everyone will be able to enjoy it.

Normally this is where I tell you to "go buy the kit!"................but alas you cannot...............not YET anyway. Upon its release in August of this year, I will definitely be getting another one and building it as well!

This was a commission build for Glen @ Kitty Hawk models and will be used to promote the kit. After these pics were taken she was boxed up, and is now ready to be shipped out to Glen. I was a bit forlorn as I think she turned out very fetching looking if I do say so myself.

Thanks to Randy (AKA sluggo) @ StencilPal for the paint masks used on the very first ever OV-10A kit built, and thanks also goes to Steve (AKA ziggyfoos) from AOA decals, as well as Danny (AKA Vandy 1 VX 4) for their OV-10 knowledge, as well as all who stopped in and gave helpful advice, and en encouraging word............cheers to you all.

Some of the pics give the model a funny optical allusion, looking like it has a bit of anhedral to the wings, but I can confirm they are straight and level.  Things are quite pic heavy ahead, so without further ado, here is the soon to be released OV-10A for I built for Glen and Kitty Hawk:

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04510.jpg

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04514.jpg

DSC04515.jpg

DSC04516.jpg

DSC04518.jpg

DSC04519.jpg

MORE.........................

Edited by Out2gtcha

Some shots of the underside:

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04542.jpg

DSC04543.jpg

One final glamor shot..........

DSC04537.jpg

Thanks again all, and heres wishing Kitty Hawk and Glen all the success in the world with the OV-10, and ALL of their current and future models.

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Woe Brian....another masterpiece from your workshop...it looks fantastic, also painted insignias always pays of in my opinion...

Build is great...nice and well ballanced weathering.

High numbers from me on this one buddy.

/Mal

Thanks Mal!

Awesome!

I never even heard of this aircraft... But it looks to be very well put together, and the painting & weathering is very nice indeed.

Ten out of ten cookies from me to you!

EDIT: Oh and... did you use enamels or acrylics? :D

Edited by Sparzanza

Awesome!

I never even heard of this aircraft... But it looks to be very well put together, and the painting & weathering is very nice indeed.

Ten out of ten cookies from me to you!

EDIT: Oh and... did you use enamels or acrylics? :D

Thanks for the very kind words Sparz!    

With very few exceptions, I am an enamel guy. Mostly I find the enamel particulate much finer, and smoother, along with enamels having a smoother finish IMHO in the end. I mostly can get Model Master enamels where I live, which it just so happens is what Kitty Hawk uses for their color call-outs as well.

This is MM "Field Green" over MM "Camouflage Gray" as called for in the KH instructions.

That is an incredible looking model!

My favourite version and I will definitely be getting one :)

Thanks!  It was indeed a great little kit, and with the price point of this thing (anticipating it will fall around the Ds pricing) at around $80 USD or so, you CANT go wrong.

Looking forward to the official release myself

Thanks Mark!  QUITE a high complement coming from a modeler of your caliber.

I'm surprised the props are green, not black.  But what do I know?

I actually was too, but from what I have been able to see/hunt down/ask about, pretty much most all of the Nam OV-10As were that I can find, with the exception of some/most of the USAF OV-10As, as well as even some of the later OV-10As (credit to AOA decals for the 1st and 3rd pics).............

34004-4.jpg

usmc_ov10a_parked_burin_155484-1.jpg

COVER-32004.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha