Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

This is what I have been working on while waiting for my Spitfire's wingspar from Steve.

It will be built OOB as usual, with cushion made of milliput, and crudely made belts of Tamiya tape and extremely stiff and annoying fuse wire.

It turned out alright though.

1_zps1lfni7dh.jpg

2_zpsdbyzffkl.jpg

The instrumentpanel was painted with artistic license to some degree, as all reference pictures I found via Google varied enormously.

I put some Microscale Kristal Klear in the dials and it looks really sweet once dry.

3_zps0smlyauh.jpg

4_zpso8uyh3jb.jpg

5_zps9bc3a5ru.jpg

The cockpit floor (that a lot of you helped me out with in regards with colours in another thread) was painted up to the best of my ability, and then I noticed these two mysterious holes in it. Apparently they're dials (!) - for checking fuel in either wing, if I understood it correctly. So, I filled these holes with Micro Kristal Klear as well and it turned out better than expected.

6_zpsxoxqnncd.jpg

7_zpsfk211q7a.jpg

And with the seat in place it looks good enough to me.

8_zps9n4otaks.jpg

And then there were a couple of boxes on a rack that needed to be painted, so I did that... along with the machineguns.

10_zpsskoczj4o.jpg

9_zpsx8gqjjkp.jpg

The ammo belts were painted up, and then the propeller got some love as well, just need to glosscoat it for its decals.

11_zpsqmwuspho.jpg

12_zpsf5ktl5mb.jpg

Here are some rough pictures taken with the instrument panel and cockpit floor dryfitted inside the right fuselage half... very awkward to photograph, but I think yous will get the idea...

13_zpshbzkrpjc.jpg

14_zpsnkns5fgu.jpg

15_zpsggoibztg.jpg

And the rearwings.. tailplanes... horizontal stabilizers? Whatever they're called:

18_zpscghrgkwb.jpg

And finally the engine, which is more or less completed... I'd say 99%.

16_zpsgx21isuf.jpg

Exhausts dryfitted:

17_zpsvtebyhv5.jpg

I ordered the diamond treaded wheels from Grey Matter Figures because the kit ones were crap. Sadly the tyres was slightly misshapen so I couldn't fit the rims in them properly, and the tail wheel's rim started to come apart when trying to smooth out some rough spots. Rotten luck! weep.gif  Kit wheels for the time being then.

DSC00105_zps0vtulqjp.jpg

DSC00106_zpsemvlyxkf.jpg

I finished painting and weathering the tailwheel assembly.

DSC00108_zpsw7070g6t.jpg

DSC00107_zpsrkyefihh.jpg

I also added some oil stains on the engine. Not so easily spotted but oh well... less is more.

DSC00109_zps8j5bljo1.jpg

Wow, thanks for the praise man! :D

I used MIG's Dark wash on the tailwheel, completely soaked it. Then I cleaned up most of it with a cottonbud moist with white spirit, and after that I tried to modify it further with a brush moist with the same stuff, doing my best to get it where I wanted it to go. When that was done I used MIG's oil and grease stain mixture on the aluminium parts... just a couple of tiny streaks.

The cockpit got the MIG dark wash as well, but after cleaning up I realized it wasn't enough, so I covered it in Flory's black wash (along with ammo belts btw). After cleaning that up I was pleased. Then it was just a matter of drybrushing to highlight stuff.

The engine was weathered with Flory's grime wash, and after I cleaned that up I drybrushed some gunmetal on it...

Hope it helps!

Mine....

IMAG1595.jpg

:crying:

All the difference in the world....thanks for the recipe...sound like a lot of effort, but sure looks worth it.

I quite like your engine as well, it's cleaner and tidier!

Nice work is right!  Great detailing!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks a lot Mark, appreciate you stopping by for a little look! :D

Really nice work Sparz! Your modelling is improving right before our very eyes.

Kev

Thanks Kevin! I'm glad you think that! I really do my best!

Really nice work Sparz! Your modelling is improving right before our very eyes.

Kev

I was just thinking the same!

Try boiling the resin tyres for a few seconds and they will get soft and you might be able to straight them out :)

Thanks for your comment Anders, glad you stopped by!

And ... by boiling you mean... drop the tyres down into boiling water? For a few seconds? Aren't they going to go Terminator 2 on me then? :o

Doppa däcken i nästan kokande vatten tills de mjuknat. Sen borde du med ett lätt tryck och samtidigt med hjälp av fälgarna kunna göra hjulen hyffsat runda. Resinet behåller formen sen när det svalnat.

All the difference in the world....thanks for the recipe...sound like a lot of effort, but sure looks worth it.

Should mention that Flory washes are extremely easy to use. First you slob it all over the item you want to weather. Cover it in it (it's clay based, so easy to get it all off to re-do it), and when it's dry 20-30 minutes later, clean it up with cottonbuds or paper towels that are moist with either saliva (I find this works best for "detail work"), or water. The wash will stay in the recesses by default. Less saliva/water means you can do streaks in any direction you desire. By far the best washes I know of! Do give them a try!

Doppa däcken i nästan kokande vatten tills de mjuknat. Sen borde du med ett lätt tryck och samtidigt med hjälp av fälgarna kunna göra hjulen hyffsat runda. Resinet behåller formen sen när det svalnat.

Tack för tipset! Ska prova detta lite senare då... :)

Here's a small update. I've added more stuff inside the right fuselage half. There's a LOT of stuff that has to sit in the correct slot and angle before mating the two halves together. The fact that I like to have stuff movable doesn't aid me in this regard... I take one piece at a time, glue it into its slot, tape the fuselage halves together... and let it dry in position. Piece by piece. Time consuming to say the least. I still have the engine, firewall, cockpit, and tailwheel to install before I can slap this stuff together. At the moment I'm detailing the firewall, so I'm inching ever closer...

DSC00110_zpsltjf8vuj.jpg

DSC00111_zps4nxpyhhr.jpg

DSC00112_zpsqq8cobw6.jpg