1/32 USMC A-6A Intruders (Vietnam) & A-6 Stencil decals available

ziggyfoos

The new 1/32 decal sheets are now in stock and ready to ship - www.AOAdecals.com

Here are some random close-up photos of the sheets:

32001-a

32002-a

32002-b

32-001 Intruders from the Beach - USMC A-6A Intruders in the Vietnam War

This extensive and comprehensive decal sheet covers the three land based USMC A-6 Intruder squadrons during the Vietnam War: VMA(AW)-225, -242, and -533; and was made possible only with the assistance of the Marine veterans themselves. Primarily seven schemes are featured, however this sheet provides the option to represent one of many possible Intruders from any timeframe for each squadron.

23 Marking Options (14 Aircraft) Included:
3 options (2 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-225 Vikings while at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1969-71
7 options (5 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-242 Batmen while at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1966-70
5 options (3 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-533 Hawks while at Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1967-69;
8 options (4 aircraft) while at Royal Thai Air Base Nam Phong (aka “The Rose Gardenâ€), Thailand, from 1972-73

Accurate stencils provided for one A-6A; for the first time in any scale these are FULL airframe stencils.

Decals also included for MER/TER numbers (various types), crew helmets, and fuel tanks.

Instructions provided on mini-CD, containing:
- Introduction
- Trumpeter kit modification information
- Possible A-6A configuration information
- Marking notes
- Typical ordnance loadout charts for the three squadrons
- Stencil placement
- Single page for each marking option (3 view)

Decals are printed by Cartograf.

Price is $20 (free US shipping)

32-002 Intruder Airframe Stencils (High-Viz) - A-6A, A-6E, A-6E TRAM, & KA-6D

Provides the extensive A-6 Intruder airframe stencils for one aircraft (A-6A, A-6E, A-6E TRAM, or KA-6D) in the high-viz Navy light grey/white camouflage scheme.

Includes:
- Full pylon stencils
- Two styles of JET INTAKE - DANGER chevrons
- Two styles of engine exhaust DANGER arrows
- Three styles of crew RESCUE arrows
- Two styles of optional DANGER triangles
- Two styles of port and probe area warning circles
- Two styles of SPEED BRAKE WARNING
- Three color options for stabilator trim indicator arrows
- Both GRU-5 and GRU-7 ejection seats
- Crew boarding ladder stencils
- A-6E TRAM and KA-6D specific decals
- Covers AN/ALE-18 and AN/ALE-29A chaff systems & AN/ALR-15, AN/APR-25, and AN/APR-45 receivers

Instructions are printed.

Decals are printed by Cartograf.

Price is $11.50 (free US shipping)

Edited by ziggyfoos

Received mine too, and without delay.

In a word, exquisite - thoroughly researched, complete to the last detail, Cartograph quality, and on and on...

I'm still a ways off from the "sticker stage" on my Intruder project, but with this set in hand, I'm all the more eager to get there.

Thanks Ziggy!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my high-viz stencil set Steve and all I can say is that AOA is > AOK !

Absolutely outstanding work and crystal clear instructions, which will make my eventual build a complete joy.

Thanks again

Tony

Wow, they look great. Anyone who can tell me what I need for the Trumpy kit besides 180 smackers?

Presumably the Avionics pit and the Eduard PE. Who does resin wheels? Anything else? Is the kit a mess that needs all sorts of corrections, or one of Trumpy's A Team efforts?

Thanks guys, good to know they're appreciated.

Wow, they look great. Anyone who can tell me what I need for the Trumpy kit besides 180 smackers?

Presumably the Avionics pit and the Eduard PE. Who does resin wheels? Anything else? Is the kit a mess that needs all sorts of corrections, or one of Trumpy's A Team efforts?

Bill it is definitely one of their A efforts, thankfully. It does have some non-A-6A specific details that are easily fixed that are only appropriate for the later A-6E and TRAM variants (mentioned in the decal instructions) and other than that only some minor issues, one of which is the ALQ-100 antennas on the pylons are a bit too scrawny. Also only include the early perforated style fuselage brakes.

There is a review on LSP for the Avionics cockpit set, the ejection seats are kinda a mystery in that set, they're not really GRU-5s or 7s.

Harold/AMS Resin has GRU-5 seats (the kit seats are closer to the later -7 seat)

AMS also has resin wheels available.

It's a really good kit, luckily I had picked a few up for around $130ish during one of those Squadron sales.

Unfortunately not one book.

The best/cheapest source are the Verlinden Lock-on, Squadron Signal Walk-Around, and the Detail & Scale books - but these are all "recent" books (80-90s) so they focus on then current A-6E TRAM (with the exception of the D&S books).

For the A model there really isn't anything comparable. The old first Squadron in Action title is actually pretty good though for photos of A models in general since the book was printed in the early 70s, so the majority of the coverage is naturally the A model and has many photos from Vietnam. The later second In Action book has very little on the A model and primarily picks up where it ended and covers the E model mostly. There is also one of those Squadron Signal special booked called "Intruder" that is good bargain, but not much as far as detail shots.