PCM 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk VII High Altitude Fighter (conversion).

alaninaustria

Scale: 1/32

Kit: Pacific Coast Models (PCM) Spitfire Mk IX (32005).

Aftermarket accesories:

Barracuda Studios Resin: Main Tyres.(http://barracudacals.com/index.php)

Airscale Decals/Placards. (http://www.airscale.co.uk/)

Radu's Seatbelts. (http://www.radubstore.com/)

Self created and cast resin main canon and landing gear and rear gear doors (vac formed).

Paints used:

Mr. Surfacer 1200 (spray can) primer.

Final painting:

Mr. Color laquers.

Cockpit:

Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya Aqueous colors; thinned with isopropanol alcohol (ISP).

Clear coat: Gunze Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III cut at 50/50 using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

Masks are from DN Models (https://dnmodels.com).

Main references:

Aero Detail #27. Spitfire Mk.VI-XVI

Greetings! Unfortunately I have lost some of the earlier pics! But, here are a few to show where I am at with this build. It is a conversion from the PCM Mk IX kit. I have scribed the wing and fuselage areas and added the rear and forward pressure bulkheads. The canopy rails were also added, as well as the elimination of the normal boarding hatch (the Mk VII is a pressurized aircraft).

image.jpg10_zpshro0lunu.jpg

The ailerons were shortened by one frame, and the underwing vent scoop also added. Some parts such as the extended wing tips were sourced from the spares box (ex Hasegawa).

image.jpg8_zpsbahlde74.jpg

image.jpg7_zps3nsf3krk.jpg

Here is the landing gear and Barracuda Resin tyres (great products!). The rear radiator flaps were also scratch built.

image.jpg5_zpsizkcvfsz.jpg

The four bladed prop was also sourced from the spares box (ex Hasegawa).

image.jpg9_zpsdseo2hdt.jpg

Although not 100% accurate, I wanted to add some depth on the wing root fairing so I glued some strip styrene down and sanded it paper thin... The kit plastic in this area was rather rounded and did not offer a crisp edge. It may appear to be too high in depth, however it has been sanded to an almost flush thickness.

image.jpg3_zpskqa8p11c.jpg

Given the fact that the original aircraft had a retractable tailwheel, I scratch built the oleo, and vac formed the gear doors. The rear tailwheel has be sourced from the Tamiya Spitfire kit! ;) as well, it is possible to see the rear fuselage access hatch, I have added a section of ultra thin stretched sprue to imitate the hinge line. I also replicated the hinge line on the forward fuselage access hatch using the same technique (as can be viewed on the above photo).

image.jpg4_zpsunkum4dy.jpg

Radu's beautiful seat belts really bring the cockpit to life!

image.jpg2_zpscjdt9ubn.jpg

I started this build way back in 2008/2009 when PCM first released their Mk. IX Spitfire kits. I am trying to finally finish off the remaining unfinished kits I have!!! That's it for today, more to follow as I try to wrap up this build.

As you probably already noticed, the wooden base will be the future home for this elegant and beautiful high altitude fighter!

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Guest Peterpools

Alan

Terrific progress on the Spit ... and from the photos, the prior work photos would surely have been a a huge plus for us to see and enjoy.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you gentlemen! I am still hunting for the original pics!! If I find them, I'll include them! Thank you and best regards! There is no better feeling in this hobby then actually bringing old (started and unfinished) kits to the finish line!!! I really hope I can keep the pace up!! ;)

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Hello gentlmen! Thanks for the nice words! Just a quick update... no joy on the original pictures... :( Seems they were lost when my hard drive crashed last year!

Oh well, made a little progress today:

The Baracuda Resin tyres painted up a dream... and received 'creep mark indicators' (the small red marking... these markings were important on tyres with tubes.. the contact on landing was a delayed spin-up of the main gear and the outer rubber tube tended to 'creep' away thus causing pressure on the inner tube stem - which if damaged would deflate the tyre)... so, after a certain amount of 'creep' was noticed - it was time to realign the tyre and the inner tube!

image.jpg2_zpszrurvbvk.jpg

Next up is to paint the inner windshield and other transparancies and get a new layer of primer on her!

Cheers and happy modelling!

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Alan

Awesome progress on the Spit. Very nice work on the twheels and tires .. looks spot on

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I was able to break away today from my chores.... and I continued the painting of the main canopy... Lots of alignment probs and lots of small adjustments! Anyways, here is today's work:

image.jpg1_zpslwvxquky.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsavzy6hkp.jpg

Cheers and happy modelling!

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria