My 1/24 airfix Mustang was started in the fall of 2006, before I joined LSP.
The build of this model was executed intermittently.
Between that, it resided on the shelf of doom.
In the meantime I learned a lot about the Mustang, among others from LSP threads by Ironwing and XM53Wrench.
They know their Mustangs!
Main reference books used were the Detail and Scale and the Squadron Signal Walk Around books on the Mustang,
Also the cheap Topshots booklet on the Mustang proved very useful for detail shots, although not for color information, because all aircraft photographed are flying Warbirds.
The Airfix kit is a child of its time. Gimmicks were in fashion in the early seventies, so it has moveable control surfaces, detachable cowling panes and a sliding hood. Designed to be put on a stand and to be equipped with an electric motor for a spinning propeller, it was not required to look at the underside.
As a result, the landing gear is moulded extended and wheelbays are non-existent.
Because the Mustang for me is one more nice plane,
for my standards of this build, I think the shapes are pretty good, with the exception of the nose.
The subtle shapes here had to be compromized too much for the detacheable panels.
However, I did not correct it, because I left the panes loose.
Anyway, I decided to finish this one and it is almost done.
Only the spinner refuses to be painted nicely at the moment.
I made pictures during the build so this WIP will describe what happended in the past.
I'm afraid any constructive comments on the build cannot be incorporated anymore!
Enough rant, now lets start with the old pictures.
Obligatory box contents shots, dated October 2006!!
That year this version of the venerable Mustan was issued. The contents on the picture below are the well known
This picture shows the new parts and decals:
The grey sprue contains two additional propellers, the gills on the nose for the British Mk.IV version and the parts for the photo-reconnaissance version.
The additional clear sprue contains a Dallas hood and the clear lenses for the photo reconnaissance version.
A generous decal sheet gives you markings for four versions.
I opted for the box top version.
The build started in 2006 with a little enhancement of the wheelbays,
I used the builds of Rodney Williams here on LSP as a reference.
The tail wheel bay:
And the main wheel bays:
You already noted that the wheelbays are wrong, they are following the cutout of the bay instead of giving a view on the rear spar of the wing.
Ofcourse, I found this out after the wings were closed and joined to the fuselage.
The correction will be shown in a future instalment of this WIP.
That's all for now, time for Top Gear!!