Two Hase P-47's - Dave Schilling and Glenn Eagleston

Thomas Lund

Since my two 109's both are in the paint shop, I thought I needed to have something to glue together. I have had the lovely Hasegawa P-47D for some time and it was for sure that I wanted to do Dave Schilling's 'Hairless Joe'. Biggest problem was that the only places I could find the decals for the distinctive cartoon figure was on oop decal sheets, so it had been lying around for some time. I recently discovered that Peddinghouse decals did Hairless Joe too so I was back on track again.

Shortly after starting Hairless Joe I got my hands on another P-47 cheap, so I decided to do a double build. I like to get around on paint schemes with the aircrafts I build (reason I like the 109 so much) so the other one had to be NMF, but I had trouble finding one I really liked. Eventually I settled with Glenn Eagleson's skull and crossbone + eagle bird.

I prefer to work from photo's rather than decal instructions and color profiles, so here's a few of the originals

lm-s3.jpg

p47d-13.JPG

They are a couple of big buggers

10929194_10204993706396662_3256618507873

First a bit of work on the cockpits. Seats are not done since I'm waiting for HGW seat belts.

10945758_10204993709396737_4960112849965

10857857_10204993708836723_5231633335034

A few days later, the next step was to assemble the fuselages and mount the wings

009x_zpsdt0eiwsr.jpg

Then fix the two real problems with this kit. First the sink mark lines on the wings - two on top, one below on each wing

010x_zpstvkjp43w.jpg

Second problem is that the cowl/engine mounting stub is apparently set too high, giving a distinctive step.

013x_zpsxqisr0fw.jpg

015x_zpsiyqnjhv5.jpg

I've seen people put a little piece of styrene in to extend the lower bit down, but that doesn't fix the top bit that in my opinion is just as bad. I sawed off the mounting stub, put on a bit of styrene to replace that list to the saw and remounted it lower.

019x_zpsjppd556m.jpg

020x_zps5yxpaeiy.jpg

And then the fit looks so much better

022x_zpsetwpx6l1.jpg

He he Rick - just saw your P-47 build and you did the same. Only I took a short cut. I mounted the stub in the engine/cowl assembly without gluing it in, put glue on the evergreen spacer and held the cowl where I wanted it until the glue set. Remove the engine/cowl and the stub stays where it should and you can feed it a little more glue

Not my idea - saw it somewhere a long time ago :-)

But easy and works really well

Yes, Alclad is my favorite metal paint

:thumbsup:

Stay tuned on my "Slick Chick" thread.  I have one more set of panels to paint.  I must have used about a mile of Tamiya Masking Tape on this.  Will post pics later today.