Using brass for detail parts

Peter asked how I use brass to create details so here is a little infomercial I did a while ago on LSM about the techniques I use...

First get the right brass - I use K&S shim which I get off Amazon - it's about £9 GBP for this pack which has four thicknesses:

0.01 - thinner than paper but good for the 'T' part of T stringers & rivet details and skinning cowlings / control surfaces etc where there is a plastic or kit part substrate

0.02 - multi-purpose - general detailing but not self supporting as it's not rigid enough

0.03 - ideal for replacing panels - self supporting and rigid

0.05 - used as internal cores for control surfaces, will give a razor sharpe thin trailing edge

..this is the pack..

001_zpsb0d03adf.jpg

..draw out the shape you want in pencil...

002_zps63158f52.jpg

..get a bit of perspex - I got this offcut for £1 GBP..

014_zps900a87ae.jpg

,,,tape the sheet to the perspex and cut straight lines with a scalpel - use new blades as thin brass will tear..

003_zps90c6cc7b.jpg

..cut curves with scissors or snips..these are just cheap IKEA scissors...

004_zps93be2c61.jpg

..once cut out you can see the edges are a bit flared & bent...

005_zpsf444642e.jpg

..tape the part down and burnish the edges with a hard, curved surface - in this case scissor handles..

006_zpscc41156e.jpg

...use a rivet wheel to add detail - either the depression for flush rivets, or the dome it creates for domed rivets. You can vary the size by either riveting straight onto the perspex for the smallest depression...

007_zps764d70e4.jpg

..onto a bit of tape for a bigger impression..

008_zpse446253b.jpg

..or onto a cutting mat for the deepest impression..

009_zps5a8710cb.jpg

more...

..you may be able to see the subtle differences in rivet size here - you will also see the part has bent along the lines of rivets - no problem we sort that later..

010_zps8ac72384.jpg

..you can scribe access panels etc - I use a pin in a pin vise - tape the two down so things don't move about...

011_zps0df556b6.jpg

..add fasteners etc..

012_zps5f5e6037.jpg

..the detail looks a bit 'blown' for now - no worries we sort that out later too..

013_zps25202d2d.jpg

..if the part will need bending, then we need to 'anneal' the brass - no witchcraft here - just hold it over a flame until it glows - afterwards dip it in water to cool..

015_zps2a5f1f79.jpg

016_zpsf12a74b3.jpg

..now we tape the part down and burnish all that 'quilting' where the part got deformed...

017_zps2d082754.jpg

.. I like to clean the part up so onto a sanding pad - sometimes it's hard to get it to move as it's so thin it just grips the pad - get a bit of white tac / blu tack to make it move..

019_zpsfa2c23ff.jpg

..you can bend it if needed - I use a tool - before I had this it was just as easy with a steel rule and a blade..

020_zpsb38acceb.jpg

more...

...if the part is curved - tape one end to something of a smaller diameter and work away from the end you taped down...

021_zpsb433c8de.jpg

..here is our demo part - it can now be primed - I use Mr Metal primer..

022_zpscbd2044a.jpg

..I use this method for a lot of parts - I find it easier and certainly more realistic than plastic - it's easy - give it a go!

WIP832_zps3a0bb45a.jpg

WIP830_zpsa819c04f.jpg

WIP800_zpsf8cf716a.jpg

WIP801_zps06945535.jpg

WIP798_zpsd9f50af3.jpg

WIP786_zps27f3644a.jpg

WIP783_zpsdb673a7e.jpg

WIP758_zps28df684f.jpg

hope that inspires someone to try it - the method revolutionised how I go about detailing..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Absolutely fantastic tutorial ... I'm charged up, making my shopping list and will be adding "brass details'  to my next project.

Thanks so much for such an in-depth and picture perfect tutorial

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank-you for the fantastic tutorial Peter. It's one thing to do what you've shown but altogether something else when you take the time to photo document the processes to show us all. You're a real gentleman for taking the time to do so! :clap2:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. The photos and minimal descriptions document the ideas well and really show us how to get it done. Seeing it finished makes it not too scarey, so we can all go make those parts that we just wish Eduard or Profimodeller would give us. This is what I like best about LSP's forum; great people and great ideas.

Tnarg