Horten 229: Finished!

Uncarina

Here's my work in progress of the Zoukei-Mura Horten 229. I'm a few weeks into it, and it is a unique build. The instructions are amazingly detailed, with half a page in some cases dedicated to the multi-perspective drawings depicting one or two parts to be added. You can see the passion that went into designing and creating this kit, and I've very much enjoyed the build so far. With one exception.

One of my dogs was accidentally trapped in my modeling room for a while when I was away at work. When I came home that evening, this is what I had:
IMG_0681_zps7b18ce1c.jpg

Volks USA to the rescue, with three replacement sprues and fast shipping! While I was waiting, I started on the wings, so here is where I'm at today:

IMG_0737_zps3574f8df.jpg

IMG_0679_zps1207618c.jpg

IMG_0739_zpsb7b5efe5.jpg

IMG_0740_zpscdc88066.jpg

IMG_0743_zpse7267060.jpg

IMG_0741_zps5600f324.jpg

IMG_0742_zps6a81f033.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Harv,

Thanks! It's nothing special: Tamiya Buff base coat followed by a raw/burnt umber oil mix, applied with a 1/4" flat brush. I'm struck by the fact that this technologically advanced aircraft would rely heavily on such an ancient building material, radar qualities aside.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks! Yes, I used Tamiya and MM Metalizer paints for the engines, then weathered the exhaust with some powdered graphite. Today I added the guns and engines. In the instructions R3 should actually be R6 for the ammo container bottom. There are some miscellaneous typos like this, but I overwhelmingly like this kit and the thought that went into it. For example, almost all parts in a given step are contained on one or two sprues, so it's easy to access parts. Revell Germany might take note!

Cheers,  Tom

IMG_0747_zpsa6967609.jpg

IMG_0748_zpsc1f444b1.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsc72aea0a.jpg

Thanks. You won't be sorry. I've built a Zoukei-Mura kit previously, but this one really makes you feel like you're building the real thing at a smaller scale. The instructions even describe the function of each part!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks! Yes, I used Tamiya and MM Metalizer paints for the engines, then weathered the exhaust with some powdered graphite. Today I added the guns and engines. In the instructions R3 should actually be R6 for the ammo container bottom. There are some miscellaneous typos like this, but I overwhelmingly like this kit and the thought that went into it. For example, almost all parts in a given step are contained on one or two sprues, so it's easy to access parts. Revell Germany might take note!

Cheers,  Tom

IMG_0747_zpsa6967609.jpg

IMG_0748_zpsc1f444b1.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsc72aea0a.jpg

Tom, A number of the parts on sprue R are incorrect:

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_060.html

Very well done so far! Any idea which IP you'll be using?