Hawker Typhoon Airfix 1/24 Update 2:27- Across the Finish Line!

scvrobeson

I know it's been awhile since I've had an LSP build on here, teaching has been hectic, and I've been trying to clear stuff out of the stash recently. So I worked on a few smaller projects just to get some completions in.

But now that I have this full week off for Thanksgiving, it's time to dive straight into my birthday present, the big Airfix Typhoon.  This is an absolutely beautiful kit for those of you that haven't seen one in the flesh, you need to.  It's worth every penny of its asking price in the detail department. That detail does come with a mind-numbing amount of mold seams and ejector pins, so I've spent about the last week doing all sorts of clean-up before I can really get started.

This is just a holder post, I will try and get pictures of progress up later today. For now, here's the box sitting precariously on my desk.

20141113_143555_zps3jpxlhk4.jpg

Matt  :frantic:

Edited by scvrobeson

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Terrific choice for getting back in the saddle and I'll e watch with great interest as John Smith and myself are planning a Buddy Build for the Typhoon starting the 1st of the year.

Looking forward to you photo update.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Great choice, I have one sitting in the stash waiting to get started also!

There were a few made up at the Telford SMW and they all looked excellent, you should enjoy yourself with this one.

I'd love Airfix to give the Hawker Sea Fury the same treatment in this scale, maybe one day?

Have fun.

Matt

Terrific choice for getting back in the saddle and I'll e watch with great interest as John Smith and myself are planning a Buddy Build for the Typhoon starting the 1st of the year.

Looking forward to you photo update.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!  I look forward to your buddy build of the Typhoons. It looks like a beautiful kit once you get past the clean-up stage. There are a lot of mold seams I'm finding.

I've got some small progress so far, I'll see what I can do about pictures.

Matt :frantic:

Great choice, I have one sitting in the stash waiting to get started also!

There were a few made up at the Telford SMW and they all looked excellent, you should enjoy yourself with this one.

I'd love Airfix to give the Hawker Sea Fury the same treatment in this scale, maybe one day?

Have fun.

An Airfix Sea Fury would be fantastic, or even if they did a Tempest.  They include the large tailplanes in the Typhoon kit, would need new wings though.

Matt,

Oohhh ..oooohhh... Looking forward to your Hawker Typhoon. :wub:

really lovely choice to start modelling again...

enjoy the relaxing time fondling plastic.

I love the box art too.. :punk:

good luck

Thank you Maru. It's interesting going back to planes after spending some quality time around armor. Doing interiors again and the parts all seem so much bigger.  Especially in 1/24.

I hope the build goes well

Fantastic choice I'll be following your build closely...that kit is on my 'would really really really love to have one' list lol

Thanks Karim. The kit is really great, you should get one if you have the chance.  I think Airfix said that it wouldn't be in production for too long, so might be worth it to pick one up now. I'm glad I was able to get one, and look forward to building it.

Good luck I've read several wing root alignment problems . Will be curious how you handle this issues if they arise.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't really seen too many builds yet, so I will look out for those wing-roots. It looks like a kit where everything has to be just right for it to go together well.  Similar to WNW tolerances.

Ooooh looking forward to this one Matt! I have been resisting getting this kit, after this I am sure resistance will be futile...Lol

Thank you Anthony!  I tried to resist getting it, but the kit was just too alluring. I think you should dive in, and build one after you do your Mossie. I know I missed out on getting one of those when they were in production, wouldn't want that to happen with the Typhoon as well.  Resistance to great plastic is always futile, especially in big scale.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Clean up, what's that after being spoiled by Tamiya's Corsair. Looking forward to your first build photos and I'll surely be taking notes.

Peter

Pics Matt, pics!!!

yes sir, right away sir.

I've actually been messing around with this kit the last couple of days, and started throwing some paint at it.  Did most of the black bits in the cockpit section using Tamiya Nato Black, then went through and weathered it with about five different shades of dark grey and black.  Then a black oil wash and filter, then a light grey dry-brush to set it off. Still needs detail painting and a lot of weathering on the firewall to make that look complete.  But here are the first pictures of progress.

001_zps92a0e615.jpg

003_zps08431b72.jpg

004_zps9702ad03.jpg

005_zpseb98e822.jpg

007_zps9933a027.jpg

008_zpsf473cc89.jpg

009_zpsf2df2aaf.jpg

010_zpsc69ef428.jpg

011_zpsc4a26814.jpg

The oil tank was the first piece I can actually call complete, and it will be completely invisible once it's installed.  I used a combination of oils and Tensocrom products to weather the leaks.

013_zps2c664a74.jpg

014_zps2cc079c3.jpg

Also stuck together the pilot for Schlitzengiggle(bonus points if you get the reference)

015_zpse6d5d353.jpg

Also sprayed some Alclad on the interior frames and weathered them with the new Ammo Panel Line Washes in the Dark Brown shade.  I went with aluminum, since no one seems to have a hard consensus on what the interior color of the Typhoon was.  It's either Interior Green/Black or Aluminum, I went with the higher contrast option.

016_zps3bb1683b.jpg

017_zps6660fc8a.jpg

018_zps715a0df3.jpg

Anyone know what color the foot pedals are for the gun chargers?  They were red on the Tempest, would it be safe to say it's red of this plane too?

Here is the camo scheme I have planned for this one. Of course it's the shark mouth scheme.

020_zpsa220e001.jpg