F-4C SCAT XXVII - DONE 11/09/2014

Dragon

Hello All,

I've been lurking this group build since it started and enjoying some of the great builds.  Consequently, I've decided to join, albeit late.  I purchased this kit last week, and it was delivered today.  So, now I can officially start.

I'll be building the F-4C flown by Col. Robin Olds.  Currently, the only AM planned for the build are seats and intake covers.

P1030073_zps41272dfe.jpg

Haven't made a decision yet on whether to remove the BDR patches.  I may try one to see how time consuming it is then decide.  

This is my first LSP jet (I've built the Tamiya Zero), so I'm going to keep the build simple plus I feel I'll be pressed for time to finish.

Mike 

Edited by M. Dragon

Welcome Mike! Great Choice!  :)  Removing the BDR Plates isn't a hard job, and it doesn't have to take all day either. One thing I did on my F-4J was take a piece of blue low tack tape and  burnish it down over the plates. then cut our around them tracing the plates with the tip of a new blade. Then you can use some fairly aggressive sand paper and not scratch up the rest of the plastic around them. Once you have it sanded down to the level of the tape, remove the tape and finish sanding with finer grits of paper until they disappear. Some of the raised panels are actually supposed to be recessed and belong on the plane, so check with the Phantom experts and make sure you scribe around the ones that should be there.

I'll add your name and build to the "who's doing what" in the group build thread.

Best of luck,

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Welcome aboard mate and nice choice of kit and finish.

The Tamiya f-4s are great kits and go together well, really worth the investment and time spent on them.

A lot bigger then your Zero too.

I plan to do an Old's a/c one day too - it's on the list.

I can recommend the quickboost seats as really simple drop in am replacements for the kit seats. I used them on my last F-4D build and loved them.

Good luck the build.

Welcome! This is a great build. I put this together right after Tamiya came out with it and really enjoyed it, in the same markings. I had to be careful because I had read at the time the decals would disintegrate in water and a test showed this would be the case for mine as well. I used Testors Decal Film painted over them and they held together just fine.

Cheers, Tom

Thank you everyone for the welcomes, making me all warm and fuzzy inside! :0D

@Paul - Yeah, they look to be tameable except for the ones at the tail end.  I'm not fond of scribing or riveting, and I'm nervous about starting something I can't finish or more importantly not having it turn out decent looking.  I've looked over what Harvey and P. Stoner have done, and I'll make a decision this week whether I have the courage to attempt.

@Teresa - Loved your 21!  In fact, I'm going to use that same scheme on a non-LSP 21,  Looking forward to the 33!

@Joe - Yeah, it's a beast!!!!!  In fact the fuselage piece is longer that the wing span of the zero!  Even the phantom's drop tanks are longer than each wing of the zero!  I'm not sure where I'm going to be able to display it when I get done.  The seller included a pair of seats.  He didn't say who made them, but I suspect they're by Avionix based on pics I've seen from another site.  I'll give these a shot.

@Uncarina - Thanks for the heads up on the decals.  I'll be prepared when I get to that point.

I worked on the build a bit last night.  I focused on the drop tanks, the resin seats and some cockpit pieces.  Nothing really to show yet, but when I have a few things completed, I'll post some pics.

Mike

Same guy! This kit straight out of the box is a really fun and excellent build. If you glue the seems perfect or close, there's really no real rescribing or rivet work. You can get FOD covers real cheap and save you time working on the intake trunks!! Try it Out of the box and trust me you'll build it again and again, then you can suffer from the same Phreakness as some of us!!! You'll enjoy this kit.

Go Phantoms!!

Paul

Hello Mike, welcome aboard ! Good choice. I'm doing "The Saint" member of the GUNFIGHTERS. F-4D and its a Tam kit. BTW, if you plan on useing FOD covers on your intakes, let me know. I have a set from Harold (AMS RESIN) you can have........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks again for the Welcomes!

@Harvey - thanks for the FOD cover offer, but the seller include a set with the kit.   

I've managed to put a little time on the build.  They're minor items, and I'll post pics this weekend.  I've have the intake trunks and drop tanks assembled, and I've painted the FOD covers, cockpit tub and IPs.  And I managed to lose a piece in the process.  It's part F30, I'm guessing the scope viewer?  Anyway, if anyone used a resin pit for their build and have this kit piece left over, I'm very interested in purchasing it from you.

The seller also include a set of resin seats; this is my first time using resin.  I managed to separate them from the pour block without incident, cleaned them with Simple Green, and laid down a good coat of primer.  But now I'm not sure what is the best approach to painting them.  Frame first then cushions or vice versa?  There's a lot of detail, and it's a bit intimidating.  

I also removed the triangular stiffener plate on the stabilizers, and after that exercise, I'm not going to remove the raised BDR/access panels from the body.  It's more effort than I want to do plus I'm terrible at re-scribing panel lines and re-doing rivets.  The re-scribed panel lines on the drop tanks can attest to that!  <_<

I hope to have more done by the weekend.

Mike

Mike, on the seats after priming, spray the frames black, then work on belts and cushions. Let me check on the F30 part for you....Harv :popcorn:

I do Have part F30. Its yours if you want. PM me

Edited by Guest