AZ Model/Admiral 1/48 Heinkel He 70K *FINISHED!*

mywifehatesmodels

Here's another build for a friend of mine that will be our second in a row that's wearing Hungarian markings. However, this time the kit probably won't be as easy to build (the last was Zvezda's Bf 109F-4). So far, I've just been working on cleaning up the ejector pins/marks, of which there are a ton and most are in the worst possible places. The pour stubs are also the typical, thick attachments found in so many short run kits. I have a new tube of putty in the waiting and will probably become very well acquainted with it in the coming days. I'll post more as soon as I have some real progress.

John

20140630_093707_zpsfc6daa4d.jpg

20140630_101300_zpse3236a85.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Maru,

I believe "PUR" stands for polyurethane resin. So far as I can see, the only PUR part in this particular boxing is the engine, which is molded as a single part.

Old Dog,

From a couple of builds/reviews I've seen of this kit, the main problems seem to be with the fit of the wings and the instructions even hint at this when they suggest dry-fitting them and adjusting. I'm used to that with a lot of the limited run injection molded and resin kits/conversions I've done, so it probably won't be anything too bad. However, the ejector pin issue is starting to drive me a little crazy. The worst of them appear to be in the wheel wells and are going to be very difficult to eliminate.

Thanks for checking in,

John

Only minor progress, so far. My mother is still visiting and, as luck would have it, her house sold while she's been here and we've been house shopping for something closer to me. So, that's been keeping us more than busy and the upcoming move will certainly take a couple more weeks away from my modeling time. But, enough of my life issues...

Here we have the cockpit basics put together. I've used the Fine Molds seatbelts on this one and it will probably be the only "detailing" that I do, since they'll really be the only thing visible once the canopy is glued in place. The kit does not include any detail/decals for the instrument panels, so I'll have to do that myself. But again, I'm even sure if they'll be visible once complete. So, this will be a "just in case" measure.

20140713_140536_zps47c4fd6b.jpg

With belts (and after spraying with primer, which is still wet in this shot):

20140717_204336_zps51fede36.jpg

The windows on the sides of the fuselage will have to be installed from the inside, so that will likely come before I paint the interior. The future is curing on them as I type. Once the cockpit and fuselage are together, the rest of the build should be fairly simplistic, spare some foreseeable filling/sanding, especially at the wings. I may also add a few details to the resin engine, but I'm having my doubts about it's accuracy, especially in how the attachment points for the pushrods are located on the front of the crankcase. I'll have to double check some references on that and move ahead accordingly. I believe this variant used the Gnome Rhone 14K engine.

More to come as I progress. Thanks for following along!

John

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try to get as much time as I can at the bench in the coming week, but then I'll likely be away from it for a couple of weeks. My fingers are crossed. I got on a roll a few months back and got quite a bit done, so I would hate to lose that momentum. "Modeler's Block" is one thing, but life getting in the way can be even more frustrating when you actually want to get something done. :frantic:

Thanks again,

John

Another small update. I got the instrument panels almost finished. They were completely devoid of any real detail, other than having round recesses where the gauges are supposed to be. I started by painting the entire panel white. Then, I used black watercolor to fill in each instrument face. After that was dry, I chucked a straight pin in my pin vise and etched the "numbers" and hash marks into each face. After that, I carefully painted the RLM 66 on the rest of the panel and then went back with Future for each face, creating the glass. This is the same technique I used on my recent F4B-4 build, but much smaller. 

20140718_190731_zps35dfbddd.jpg

Just a little touch up and they'll be ready to install once I get the rest of the interior painted.

John

Thanks, Maru!

A bit more progress to post. I got the belts painted, the IPs installed and the fuselage buttoned up.

First off, I had to install the fuselage windows. Then I just pust some tape over the outsides and masked the insides with Micro Mask before priming/painting the interior.

20140718_234855_zpsd03c6a38.jpg

Here is the rest of the pit before gluing the fuselage sides together:

20140723_120906_zpsae446f61.jpg

20140723_120928_zps482f01fb.jpg

I also made a throttle lever/knob from stretched sprue. I wasn't sure if it would be visible, but decided to add it, just in case.

To get the two halves together, I had to take down the right side of the rear bulkhead and cockpit floor a bit. It took me just a minute with the Dremel tool. Then it was close enough that I could give the halves a firm pinch and hit the CA glue with accelerator to harden them up. I'll have to work the seams and restore the panel lines, next. Then, I'll be working on getting the wings together and installed.

20140723_122703_zps09a43df0.jpg

The wings might prove to be tricky, but we'll see how it goes. I think I'm going to smooth out the rest of the ejector pin marks in the wheel wells and get those primed/painted before putting the wing halves together. They should be easier to work with by doing it that way. I'll post more pics as soon as I get the wings on.

Thanks again,

John

Old Dog,

I did  test fit of one of the wings and I think the biggest gap is going to be at the fuselage joint on the bottom (at least on that wing). The rest will need a little filler, too, but isn't really so bad. Now, that's assuming that I can get it glued on in the correct position! :lol:

As for the interior, if I were using a vac canopy and posing it open, I would probably do a lot more detail work. I just don't think you'll be able to see much of it with the kit canopy in place, however. I ran this by my friend, for whom I am building it, and he agreed that if it can't be easily seen, then we'll go ahead and just build it OOB. This is the same friend who I built two Classic Airframes SBC Helldivers for and I ended up scratchbuilding a majority of the cockpit detail in those. So, I was relieved to not have to go through that again!

Thanks again,

John

Wings and horizontal stabs are on!

A word of caution on the horizontal stabs. Pay attention to how the "pins" are spaced on the tailplane parts and drill corresponding holes in the fuselage for them. I'm glad I thought of this and did a test fit, ahead of time. The tail planes actually fit pretty well. I put some filler on both top and bottom seams, but the top was probably good enough for the paint to have filled them in.

The wings were a bit more tricky. I did the right wing first and I noted right away that the forward most portion at the wing root, of the top wing panel, was going to be protruding a bit, no matter what I did. I sanded this down quite a bit before installing the wing and left the rest for after I have the filler putty in place. This area will take a bit of "sculpting", but I expected as much. The right wing actually fit pretty well, overall. It was better than I expected. The left wing, however, took a lot more work. I did the same thing by installing the wheel well on the lower wing half, then gluing the two wing halves together before checking the fit of the entire assembly to the fuselage. This plane has a lot of dihedral, but the left wing was sitting way higher than the right, if I were to just have stuck it in place. After scratching my head for a bit, contemplating the best way to fix this, I decided to pull the wing halves back apart and install the upper panel first, setting the dihedral to match that of the right wing. Then, I had to sand off about 1-1.5mm from the wing root mating surface of the lower wing panel. Otherwise, the upper and lower wing parts would not have matched up. There's still a lot of filling/sanding to do, but the dihedral problem is solved and everything is together, which is the most important part.

Here are some pics:

20140724_162239_zps0ec1bea5.jpg

20140724_162253_zps03ee2775.jpg

20140724_162313_zps117e770c.jpg

20140724_162331_zpsb8024ec1.jpg

There's still a lot of work to do before I can get to painting, but I feel better now that it's looking more like a complete airframe. I want to get as much done as I can in the next couple days, but probably won't get to painting for another week or two, until I'm finished helping my mother move.

Thanks for looking,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a "vacation" (would much rather have been building models!), I got back to the Heinkel, today. I had got the putty in place on most seams by the time I left and even got a good start at sanding them.

20140724_215706_zpsb118cd65.jpg

20140725_203854_zps63fa5c02.jpg

20140725_203908_zpsac44b280.jpg

The nasty step that was at the forward wingroots is now gone!

20140726_115926_zpsd4dd149a.jpg

Masked the canopy, then painted the framework RLM 02 before shooting a coat of Mr. Surfacer.

20140818_194411_zps17ec3ab7.jpg

20140818_212315_zpse38a5b29.jpg

The cowl got the same treatment and was also primed with white, in preparation of the RLM 04 yellow (of which the paint is still wet in these photos).

20140818_194551_zpsfc2196a6.jpg

20140818_212239_zpsfec05d3c.jpg

The primer revealed some need for touch-ups, but nothing major. Once those are fixed and primed again, I'll be painting!

Thanks again for following along,

John