P-51B twins (2 down, 19 to go)

Here are my two Trumpeter P-51B's: Dominic Gentile's P-51B-05 43-6913 'Shangri-La' and Ralph Hofer's P-51B-15 42-106924 'Salem Representative'

To tell you the truth, if I hadn't had a build thread over on Works in Progress, I would probably not have shown these - that's how disappointed I am. They fought me right until the end and I am far from happy with the result. Perhaps it's because I was really really proud of the previous build, but these are just not very good. I had a huge amount of paint troubles, including the bottom of 'Shangri-La' boiling up not once, but twice and there are still rough spots all over. On 'Salem Representative' the gloss coat lifted in a number of places resulting in a not so nice finish. So in the end it was just a matter of 'finish the damn things and move on'.

2 down, 19 to go refer to a post I made a short while ago. I found that I had 20 builds in progress and committed to finishing a lot before I start a new one. I discovered another build I'd forgotten so its 2 down 19 to go...

Ok. Shangri-La

P-51_of_Gentile-px800.jpg

010x_zps9182fe70.jpg

011x_zpsdfeff025.jpg

Then 'Salem Representative'

Z_WIP_HASnap_9b.jpg

004x_zps6d40c34a.jpg

007x_zpsf4651e51.jpg

Moving on !

Thomas,

Looks great, two of my favorites.

Glad you fought through and whipped these.

Will look great in your collection two examples if

of two fine pilot's steeds.

The "Kid's" mustang is very nice and the whitewall tires are so 1940's!

The red rims on Gentile's plane don't look bad.

I still have to finish my stalled Shangrila Stang.

Bravo.

Jon

Edited by fastzx

I love these two.

Maybe you're not very pleased with them yourself, but I'd say just about everyone else is loving them. I mean, who's going to notice the minor flaws you mentioned when they stand there on a shelf? I think they look great!

And if you smash these, I will plant horse eggs under your pillow.

:D

Edited by Sparzanza

I love these two.

Maybe you're not very pleased with them yourself, but I'd say just about everyone else is loving them. I mean, who's going to notice the minor flaws you mentioned when they stand there on a shelf? I think they look great!

And if you smash these, I will plant horse eggs under your pillow.

:D

LOL Sparzanza - No I'm not THAT displeased with them, but the pictures (I am a lousy photographer too) dont really reveal how they really look in the flesh. Slightly grubby and not in the good way...

Anyway - Thanks everyone.

Thomas,

Sorry bout the paint woes, I live that through every build I do, since I was a kid, its the part I love doing the most, and yet the part that I fret and seem to have the most problems with.

If there were ever the ultimate "war weary" Mustangs, these two birds are the perfect example, I have a feeling "Dom" and "The Kid" put these mounts through their paces, and by the looks of your photos, you "captured" that amazingly.

I dont know the first thing about injection molding or manufacturing a styrene models, but I cannot imagine it could be that hard for Trumpeter to fix those rear windows.....and sell about a million more of these kits...LOL.

Anyway, great stuff, glad to see them completed, they look great to me, and these two liveries are certainly on my to do list.

:thumbsup:

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Both of the 'Stangs look mighty good and while they gave you a tough fight, in the end both are finished. I would have to say, you're the winner in turning out two good looking Mustangs.

Peter