Fok. D.VII Seven Swabians -4/28/14 - All Done!

seiran01

She's all done and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out - here's the end result of the build, the original thread begins below the photo

photo+1.JPG

Well ADHD got me again, so sue me, this makes # 29 in progress.  Have started building Wingnut's Fok. D.VII (OAW) with the goal of having it done no later than April 25th. The large local contest on the 26th has the WWI theme and I plan to take all of my completed wingnuts kits to display.

This one will be the Sieben Schwabben (7 Swabians), available on this wingnuts decal sheet. Lozenge decals will be Aviattic and I can tell you, boy do they look beautiful on the paper.

Progress so far: lots of thin strips of masking tape and preshading of some fuselage parts. Wings are painted now in Tmaiys XF-57 Buff.  Ailerons will be a slightly different shade to vary up the finished look of the fabric once the decals are on.

2014-03-07.jpg

2014-03-07.jpg

Not as much progress this week as I had hoped but the basic painting of the engine is mostly complete as well as the ammo and spent ammo bins.  I didn't even see the ejector pin marks in the spent ammo bin until i looked at the zoomed in photo, so these will be cleaned up as well as some touch-up aluminum painting on the feed chutes.  Engine was painted completely in Tamiya semi-gloss black and then masked to spray Alclad dull aluminum.  I put some Tamiya panel line accent into the recesses which is really just a super-thin enamel. The wavy shading effect you see half way up the crankcase is a result of the accent soaking in to the paint instead of staying in the recesses. Not the effect I wanted, but i kind of like it! Will use some other sort of wash when I go to dirty up the engine a bit.

2014-03-12.jpg

2014-03-12.jpg

Coming along nicely.  Leave the crankcase stains - they look very convincing.  The cartridges in the ammo feed chutes are particularly well done.  I'll probably end up using your build here as a guide to building mine (someday...)

Thanks guys, I'm not going to repaint the engine, I rather like the look of my oops!

Ron, the ammo chute is just Tamiya buff and copper, both hand painted then Tamiya black panel line accent used for the wash. Very easy to do and to my eyes it looks very convincing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for those in the know, need your input on this! 

As this is an OAW-built D.VII, would it be more appropriate to use the Albatros logo instead of the Fokker logo, if i were to make a display base for this? I have the 1:1 scale decals for both companies from wingnut and they're so nice that they deserve to be used in a nice display.

Progress:

Well the lower wing is 3/4 decalled with the Aviattic sheet and I absolutely love how this has turned out so far! 

I am, however, VERY disappointed in myself -  I made a very amateur mistake and didn't put a clear gloss coat on the wing before decalling.  The top wing looks perfect, however if you look at the photo of the bottom wing, the wing at the bottom of the photo is the underside of the completed wing. Air bubble city, and this all happened in the process of applying the topside decals. It actually looks significantly better than it did, now that I've put a ton of microsol on the underside and stabbed the decal with an x-acto several hundred times. Won't be a contest winner but it'll show up on the contest table anyway with any and all other WNW kits i can finish.

2014-04-06.jpg2014-04-06.jpg

Question for those in the know, need your input on this! 

As this is an OAW-built D.VII, would it be more appropriate to use the Albatros logo instead of the Fokker logo, if i were to make a display base for this? I have the 1:1 scale decals for both companies from wingnut and they're so nice that they deserve to be used in a nice display.

Albatros, as OAW was a subsidiary. Engine looks killer.