1/32 Fw-190 D-9 Lt. Heinz Sachsenberg "Finally on diorama"

David Mooney

Hello fello modellers, i have tried to create the Fw-190 D-9 flown by Lt. Heinz "Heino" Sachsenberg from JV44.  As squadron commander, his particular aircraft was known as "Red 1". The inscription on his Fw 190 D9 was "Verkaaft's mei Gwand I foahr in Himmel!" meaning "Sell my clothes I'm going to heaven". The aircraft in the protection squadron were painted red on their underbelly with prominent white stripes to help in their identification by ground crews. The legend of the Papagei Staffel (parrot squadron) was born (the name was given after the war and is truly misleading as it was not used by the squadron itself). The decision to paint the aircraft in this manner was made by the pilots themselves, perhaps as result of the failed Operation Bodenplatte, where a number of German aircraft were lost to friendly fire. I used the Hasegawa kit that i had in my stash, but ended up having to buy the truely awesome EagleCal set of decals as the Hasegawa ones were a real nightmare and broke. There are probably a few inaccuracies in my work here, so please feel free to point them out as I like critism as it helps me improve where i'm going wrong, Thanks for looking and hopefully you enjoyed looking :-)

fw-190d-9038_zps26580cc4.jpgfw-190d-9034_zpsda35a391.jpgfw-190d-9029_zpsea03f876.jpgfw-190d-9026_zps4742fca8.jpgfw-190d-9014_zps2aad5a34.jpg

Edited by David Mooney

Fantastic build and finish! Even the landing flaps have extra detail. Your photography is excellent as well; thanks for sharing. One question: were the original propellor blades wooden or metal?

Cheers, Tom

Fantastic build and finish! Even the landing flaps have extra detail. Your photography is excellent as well; thanks for sharing. One question: were the original propellor blades wooden or metal?

Cheers, Tom

Hello Tom,

That's a very good question to ask as I did wonder myself about the which material they was made form. From what I could find and work out was that the earlier A marks were made of wood and the D models were made of metal, my aircraft is depicted in a state at around 1944-45 so I would believe the props would indeed be metal at this time. I will add that my research could well be flawed, so if anyone knows the real facts................please back me up lol

For a while I've been a bit tired of looking at candy striped Fw190D's. That changed right here! Absolutely fantastic finish - looks so real. Excellent result.

You are correct about 'Papagei staffel'. I've heard the 'Sachsenberg schwarm' being used, but dont know if that was also a postwar thing.

But you are incorrect about the prop blades. Early ones (mostly A's) were metal, while the broad later ones were wood. But all in all a small thing on this wonderfull model

Metal - bent

FW-190Carr2.jpg

Wood - broken

Fw190D12.jpg

Edited by Thomas Lund

For a while I've been a bit tired of looking at candy striped Fw190D's. That changed right here! Absolutely fantastic finish - looks so real. Excellent result.

You are correct about 'Papagei staffel'. I've heard the 'Sachsenberg schwarm' being used, but dont know if that was also a postwar thing.

But you are incorrect about the prop blades. Early ones (mostly A's) were metal, while the broad later ones were wood. But all in all a small thing on this wonderfull model

Metal - bent

FW-190Carr2.jpg

Wood - broken

Fw190D12.jpg

Bugger it!!!!! Seems I've made a bo-boo there then lol! Can we pretend they stuck an A model one on in desperation lol! its an easy fix though as i'll give it a blast off black to cover the silver up, that's for the correction Thomas :-) 

Bugger it!!!!! Seems I've made a bo-boo there then lol! Can we pretend they stuck an A model one on in desperation lol! its an easy fix though as i'll give it a blast off black to cover the silver up, that's for the correction Thomas :-) 

Yeah, if you can get to it then do that, but be ware that german props were not black, but rather RLM 70 Schwarz Grün, eg black green. Very very dark, but still green.

Doesn't change it's one helluva job you've done. We've all been there :-)

BTW if you do go back to it can I suggest an antenna wire (you did ask for critique :innocent: ) With a 'blown' (bubble) canopy it's supposed to be slack when the canopy is open.

Edited by Thomas Lund

I did my own mix for the prop so I just said "black" as I wasn't sure what colour to call it accept a bluey, grey, greeny black colour lol! i have considered sticking the antenna on, but as I've managed to knock the flaps off a couple of times i think holding around the fuselage is the only option. So at the moment i'm leaving the antenna off so i don't snap that off too :-). Once i get a diorama done then i'll rig it up and wont have to move it about then