Pitts Special

CanIFlyIt

Hi all. I'm a big fan of the Pitts Special and would like to build one but can't find a really good kit. I have the AZModel S-2, but I'd like something a little bigger/better.

I'm aware of the now OOP AirshowModels.com kits, but I can't find those for sale anywhere (if anyone has a Bulldog or S-2B kit they want to part with, please let me know!).

Meanwhile, are there any S-1 kits out there? I see a fair number of kits of the two-seat -2 but none of the smaller single seat S-1s.

So I guess my question is: Is anyone here aware of a good quality Pitts kit, preferably an S-1?

There was a vac kit of the S-1 by Aeroclub. Jim Rice built one here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=13130

I have two of the Airshow S-2 kits, and have made some RTV molds with the goal being to eventually replicate all of the parts in resin. Haven't had time to persure that project in quite a while, though, and would REALLY like to see the Pitts done in a large injected plastic kit someday. 1/32 would suit me just fine, but 1/24 would be ok, too.

D

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

@ D Bellis: Jim's build is amazing...thanks for sharing. Has he posted any finished pics anywhere? Looks like that thread stops before the plane's finished. 

@Barney: Thanks...that would be great! I'll sit tight for now. BTW, are you the same "Barney" of the Barney's Air Force website? That's my middle name too. :)

Guest Peterpools

Can't help but love those Pitts.  Wish some AM company would bring out a resin kit in 1/24th scale, due to the Pitt's small size.

Nothing wrong with dreaming and wishing

Peter

@Peterpools: agreed! I'm actually a little surprised that with all the variations of the plane on the airshow circuit that there are not more models of the plane out there. Personally I like the stock S-1 and S-2 planes best, but I would have expected a model of Sean Tucker's plane, or Skip Stewart, etc...in injection plastic. I guess warplanes are more popular. 

@Old Dog Flying: Cool. Originally I was going to contact you via your website and bug you that way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents, 

We will be bringing back the AirShow Models line in 1/32  very shortly, The owner of the line has sent the masters and remaining decals and p/e down here and we are looking into molds and a limited run of the kits this spring. The Pitts, and the Eagle will be first out.

Best, 

Paul Fisher