OK, I've started snipping plastic off the sprues. My sample shipped with extensive bubble wrap, but in a relatively flimsy plain cardboard box, so the trailing edge of one of the wing roots suffered some crush damage:
This shouldn't pose too much of an issue, and I'd imagine the final retail package won't suffer from this possibility.
One thing I noticed immediately is that the sprue attachment points are on the mating faces of the parts, rather than their outer visible surfaces:
This is a double-edged sword. On the positive side of the ledger, it means that clean up - when done carefully! - should not mar the visible surfaces of the kit. On the negative, injudicious use of the sanding stick will produce a local depression in the plastic that could result in gaps come assembly time. On the whole though, I think I prefer this approach than the other, which risks damage to surface detail.
Here's the fuselage taped together after cleaning up the sprue attachment points:
The fit is pretty good, though not completely crisp along the mating edges, and there's a notable 'unfinished' look to the plastic either side of the seam line:
This will be taken care of during the clean up of the fuselage seams, but it did strike me as a little odd. Here's the wing assembly similarly cleaned up and taped together:
And then the two assemblies brought together:
Fit is pretty good, though the trailing edge of the wing roots will need careful assembly and clamping to ensure there are no steps:
I suspect a little bit of filler will be required, but nothing too dramatic. Next up I'll start work on the cockpit.