Chuck Yeager's X-1

Zero77

Here is a 1/32 revell X-1 I made on may. It was quite fast to build, only 2 sprues. The longer job was to engrave the panels and find a good mix to get an acceptable orange hue. It is almost OOB, i have only made some little scratch in the cockpit and added the 2 little scoops at the rear of the fuse. I also regraved the tires as the ones from the box were wrong. It was quite difficult and the result is not as clean as i want but it is not really visible.

The decals are from cutting edge, but it almost was a mistake as the decals supplied in the box were very good (i used them for the stars as i found them better than cutting edge's).

20130908_152631_zpse99923ea.jpg20130908_152529_zpsc0c0e319.jpg20130908_152505_zpsea817c1d.jpg20130908_152459_zps0edb8fb9.jpg20130908_152400_zps32a9a414.jpg20130908_152349_zpsaf6934fe.jpg20130908_152307_zpse735d4ee.jpg
Edited by Zero77

Thank you guys !

shes looks great! wheres the brook stick?

I haven't made it... There was no toothpicks at home at this time... :oops:

Seriously i did not made it because it was only used one time, so i consider it to be very anecdotal !

Very nice mate! For what it's worth, a broomstick is supplied in the boxing of this kit that I have. How did you go with the engine exhaust pipes? On my kit they're very undersized, and do not fit the rear fuselage opening at all. Yours looks great, but you don't mention needing to do anything with them.

May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Very nice mate! For what it's worth, a broomstick is supplied in the boxing of this kit that I have. How did you go with the engine exhaust pipes? On my kit they're very undersized, and do not fit the rear fuselage opening at all. Yours looks great, but you don't mention needing to do anything with them.

May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Thank you Kev !

Sure you can publish it on the website !

Yes the engine exhaust is undersized, but there was no problem for me as the engine is connected to the fuse with 2 rods (glued on the left side of the fuse if i remember correctly). So i only glued those 2 rods to their position on the left side of the fuse, and while the glue is bonding you are able to set it in the good position in the center of the aft fuse (i have dry assembled the fuse at this time to center it as good as possible). And although the exhaust is quite undersized, it is centered, and the only visual issue is that you have a slight gap between it and the fairing (but it's not very noticeable).

Well it is not exactly as the real stuff, but there no other to do it, except making it all scratch and thin down the fuse thickness like crazy.

bell_x-1_engine_nozzles.jpg

(i have just noticed that i have forgotten to add the fuel dump pipe.... I will certainly add it as it is not a difficult modification... Drill and add a stretched cotton-bud...)

Edited by Zero77