Airfix 1/24 Messerschmitt BF109-E - Finished!

Sparzanza

Thanks for you comments, Kev, BJG, Peterpools, and mattlow!

I had a lot of fun with this kit. It is my second Airfix 1/24 "Emil", first one being built in my teens. It doesn't have a lot of parts, but it looks accurate enough. For modellers better than myself I recommend scratchbuilding wheelwells and adding a clear piece for the gunsight, as detail of neither are included. I also recommend a set of instrument dials, since there are no dial details on the clear part behind the dash to drybrush. It didn't take me long to build it. I used pieces of sponge to paint large areas, brush for details, and as always Humbrol Enamels only, with my own mixture of RLM02. It was also my first time applying a gloss coat where decals were to be applied, and it worked a treat.

Oh, and if anyone happens to know how the gun hatches underneath the plane opens, do tell me.. I want to glue them in open position!

I waited all day for the sun to appear.. it finally did! Unfortunately, as I was taking pictures.. it kept jumping in behind clouds. :( At the very end I had to resort to lamps. Ack.

BJG, I added a size reference in the shape of a Tamiya's extra thin cement bottle. I just assume you know the size of that. (normally I would've used a lighter, but it seems to have vanished) I also added the 1/24 Stuka and FW190 for comparison. The Stuka is a house in comparison, hah. Well, here's a whole bunch of pictures for your enjoyment:

finished1_zps881cc9a2.jpg
finished2_zps4b3f6ac0.jpg
finished3_zps83433aa2.jpg
finished4_zpsdb251513.jpg
finished5_zps75322200.jpg
finished6_zpsbb3b6ae7.jpg
finished7_zpsb7dca48d.jpg
finished8_zpsff070ac1.jpg
finished9_zps0c042dd4.jpg
finished10_zps7b7eeb32.jpg

Well, The pictures still sucks. :) (no offense), Many of them are out of focus and under or overexposed indeed. Maybe 2 IKEA lamps + 2x 60W blue light bulbs would help. What type of camera are you using, lens, settings an so.

Regarding the kit, I missed out the build so now it's too late to be constructive and helpful, maybe next time.

Cheers

Martin.

Well, The pictures still sucks. :) (no offense), Many of them are out of focus and under or overexposed indeed. Maybe 2 IKEA lamps + 2x 60W blue light bulbs would help. What type of camera are you using, lens, settings an so.

Regarding the kit, I missed out the build so now it's too late to be constructive and helpful, maybe next time.

Cheers

Martin.

I don't know, it came with the phone. It has a press-sensitive autofocus button, unfortunately the very same button is used to take the pictures. My brother told me that I have to press the button gently at first and let it focus, and when the phone beeps, I have to press harder to take the picture. Sadly 99 times out of 100 it doesn't work and I stand there almost pushing my finger through the phone.

Other than that I think you're being picky, they're miles better pictures than the previous phone took. You can clearly see what the images depict. I also have no control of the cloud covering the sun every 2 minutes. But thanks I guess.

Edited by Sparzanza

You are welcome. A phone is a device that has been designed to communicate with :), but You can manage to take a decent picture with it. There is also a free software available on -line so you can enhance your photography (http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php). Should I feel sorry for you. Take an advice and improve.

Yes, well, a phone will also serve as ones camera since ones budget is limited. I prioritize kits after the essentials. I'm not asking for your sympathy, nor do I need any more of your "advice". Thanks but no thanks.

I had forgotten to paint the wing light thingies. The instructions did not tell me what colour they were supposed to be, so I based it on the Stuka's lights - red and green.

Also attaching a picture of how messy it is just to get one picture right .. ish. :P

finished34_zpsf35a8917.jpg

decent_zps7869e038.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza