Revell 1/32 He-111 H4

Bigg943

Hi all, I have toyed with the idea of building Revell's 1/32 He-111 for a while, but my mind was made up when I spotted the new H6 boxing for nearly £25 under its RRP!

I have decided to post my build for the first time so when the photos start coming please be nice!

I want to back date this to a BoB late series H4. The late H4's used the same power plants as the H6's (Jumo 211 F1), meaning I won't have to splash out on aftermarket ones. Can anyone help me with the other changes I will have to make to get back to a H4?

I'm not sure if I will really go to town on this, I will definitely be replacing the MG's as they are far to small (almost 1/48!) adding either PE or textile seat belts and maybe the Eduard cockpit PE set

Any help would be great. I will get the first photos up over the coming days.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have started and already run in to the first issue with this kit. This is a reboxing of the older P model with the early Jumo 211 engines with the supercharger on the left of the engine, Revell have add the the new engines but have been lazy! The new engines are included but the supercharger intake is from the older kit which is molded to go on the left of the engine. The new intake is on the right. On test fitting a large gap is left as a result of it being for the older engine.image_zps468da3e3.jpg

Naughty Naughty Revell.

My the fix is simple but take a little time. I backed filled the intake with some Tamiya masking tape and then filled the gap.

image_zps67f73d79.jpg

With a little work the ended up looking like this.

null_zps8b65faa8.jpg

Surpricing they went cheap on that one intake, but very nice save.

You asked about the differences H-6 to H-4 and while not being an expert (big exclamation point) I was interested and looked a bit around:

- Check your prop blades. The H-6 introduced the broad propblades as opposed to the narrow blades of the earlier H-4. Not all H-6 had them, so look what the kit's got

- Some H-4 flew with the Jumo 211F-1 as the H-6, some with the 211D-1. It appears to me that H-6's had individual exhausts as did some H-4 while some had collectors on them. I GUESSING it followed the engine, so look at your reference

- Check your ventral gondola armament - loads of changes there over the versions. A bit confusing to me.

- Some planes used the nose cap that followed the general nose contour with 1 pcs 20mm MG FF while some used the more bubbly 2 pcs 7.92mm MG 15 nose. I THINK it was used on both variants, so again check your references.

Might be more, so I hope som real experts chip in

Thomas thank you for he info. I have ordered a full prop set from Revells spears department for the P1 kit, so at least it will have the correct props.

Just a small update on the build, I have finished to two main wheels minus the brake units.

null_zps1f77ff0f.jpg?t=1370942120

The hub is Revell Semi Gloss Black and the tyre is Tamiya NATO Black. The hub was given a very light dry brushing with Tamiya Sky gray just to bring out some of the detail. They were then klear'd for the red decal, sealed again with klear then a light dusting of Revell matt coat.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay but have heen busy with work and my son's first birthday party!

I have been working on the undercarrage bays, thay are nearly finished just awaiting a wash and dull coat. Hope you like them.

null_zpsb889ae49.jpg?t=1371577157

The bays per shaded with Tamiya NATO Black.

null_zps64b2b9ae.jpg?t=1371577176

As were the legs.

null_zps9e65825d.jpg?t=1371582020

The base coat was then applyed which is Revell 45.

null_zpsfde1434b.jpg?t=1371582040

Raisd detail was dry brushed with a 50/50 mix of Revell 45 and Revell 05 matt white.

null_zpsa2d7cff5.jpg?t=1371593273

null_zps4a8fd22e.jpg?t=1371593297

null_zps0637d2d0.jpg?t=1371593322

null_zpsc70040e3.jpg?t=1371593553

All thats left to do is a wash and dull coat.

Thanks for any comments.

More soon.

Good work mate! I think that perhaps your pre-shading is showing through a little strongly though. Not a criticism at all, but my preference would be to subdue it slightly more. Probably too late for this one, and that's OK; model still looks good!

Kev

Will follow with interest!

Do check the review link (written by...ahem...me) - I wrote it precisely for modellers like you guys

To be sure you will need:

To know which precise airframe you are building...

Pics of the aircraft and or...

Crash date (crash reports often listed how many guns the plane carried, which will tell you definitively what type of ventral gondola)

I am talking with Ali of A2zee btw - he is looking at making some upgrades which will be very useful re nose cone, and ventral gondola for the modified Ps and Hs (pre H-5) with the extra gun station at the front of the gondola

Nothing certain yet, but just keep that in mind

Let us know about the aircraft, and we can try to help

Nick

Hi all thanks for your comments. I'm having a little trouble trying to find a Battle of Britain or Blitz H4 photos / decal set. I was just wondering if anyone could help? I don't want my H4 to use the external bomb racks as a) Revell haven't done a very good job in reproducing then (short cuts again me thinks!) and B) I don't really like the look of them on the real aircraft.

I have been toying with the idea of backdating further and doing a H2 using CMK engine set and xtradecal set X32044 http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=9524. But I can't seam to find anyone who has the decals in stock!

If anyone has and thoughts or comments or knows of someone who has the decals in stock please let me know.

Build wise I am currently building the 2 Ton bomb load of 8x Sc250's, this being the H6 boxing the kit still has all of the bombs but none of their decals. But I'm guessing as they will be tucked away inside the He111 it won't be to much of a problem.

That sheet never existed as far as I can tell...just checked their entire listing at Hannants

I have made a spreadsheet compiling all the 'do-able' BoB 111s inc various features - there are some others too, but mostly BoB

Email me at Nick AT scaleplasticandrail DOT com if you would like it

You will need the accompanying reference books to make the most of it, but it will be a start...

PS don't laugh at my excel skills!

Nick