104 replies to this topic

#46 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Allright - I'm back and I brought the Mustang brothers

I had quite a while finishing up for a contest. Only one in 1/32 I brought was my zero, but also a couple of others you can see in 'Non LSP work' plus one you can see in the 'LSP discussion/... binned kits' (such is life).

After that I spent a very long time prepping these for paint - very tedious, especially for Salem Representative as it was to be partially NMF.

So that's the reason why it has taken so long.

I also spent some time researching the paint schemes. Shangri-la is well documented, but I found out one thing that escaped me earlier and even some of the decal manufacturers. The basic OD/NG planes of the 8th AF had the white stripe on top/bottom of the wing and horizontal stabilizer - but Shangri-la did not have it on the stabilizer. Here you go - Shangri-la at the end - no stripes

shangla.jpg

So, painting is underway - I deliberately overdid the variations in the color, because in my experience when you put on a few coats of varnish, they easily disappear.

002_zps86169791.jpg

A little liquid mask under the paint for later chipping

003_zps23635577.jpg

004_zps67d6cecc.jpg

So, next up - painting the red nose... I admit, I've chickened out of painting the chequers. I tried to cut some strips of 2.25mm consistently, but failed. I am going to have to match up the red to the decals - fortunately i have two sheets with Shangri-la so that should make it just a little bit easier

Now Salem representative was a bit harder and gave me some worries. Natural metal birds often had the black stripe in the same position as the white above. I would be doing Salem Representative with invasion stripes so it didn't matter with the wing, but the horizontal tail was again the question. If you look at the picture I posted earlier, in my opinion the jury was out. Coupled with this image I thought the black stripes were overpanted with OD (wing, tail and fuselage top was OD):

xi_rev.jpg

Clearly the stripe is not very black, so I thought black showing through the OD. However fielding the question on hyperscale it was replied that many thought the stripe was actually red. SR had a red stripe on the vertical tail (that's for sure) so it was not completely unlikely. The deal breaker for me was this image: It is well known that Hofer had 'Kidd' written on a red field on the left UC door. In this image it is clear that the field is not black so red is very likely. Also the stripe on the wing is not black either, so I suppose it's red but still it seems odd to me. Think I need a little time to adjust ;-)

Hofer_zpscb6a1153.jpg

So far SR has gotten alclad NMF (perhaps a few more shades to follow) and the white for invasion stripes

008_zps9c0e8a51.jpg

010_zpsa770c4da.jpg

Starting to look like something I think

Edited by Thomas Lund, 12 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

In progress      Trumpeter Bf109G-6 Manfred Dieterle
                        Tigger (ID) Ki-45 Nick vacuform
                        HpH SG38 Schulgleiter
                        Hasegawa Spitfire Mk Vb converted to XIVe (nut, I know)
                        And then some other stuff, but you know...

Recovering from recent disaster
                                   Trumpeter P-40B AVG

Recently done        Two Trumpeter P-51B's Don Gentile and Ralph Hofer  Tamiya A6M3 converted from A6M5 
                                  Trumpeter Me262A-1a Rudolf Sinner  Hasegawa Ki-84 Anabuki  Revell (Hasegawa) Fw190D-13 Yellow 10
                                  PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#47 Sparzanza

Sparzanza

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Awesomesauce! Nice little history lesson, too!

"Live and let dry."

Finished kits:
1/24 Airfix Junkers Ju87 B-2 Stuka

1/24 Airfix Focke-Wulf 190 A6

1/24 Airfix Messerschmitt BF109 E-4

1/24 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk1

1/24 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a

In progress:

1/24 Trumpeter Messerschmitt BF109 G-6

1/24 Trumpeter Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero

To be acquired:

1/24 Airfix P51-D Mustang

1/24 Airfix P51-K Mustang

1/24 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkVB

1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon

1/24 Airfix De Havilland Mosquito

#48 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Awesomesauce! Nice little history lesson, too!

Thanks Sparzanza - in the recent years I've been more and more interested in researching and getting it right, backed up with pictures etc. History has always been a big thing for me

HpH SG38 Schulgleiter

Trumpeter P-40B AVG

Recently done        Two Trumpeter P-51B's Don Gentile and Ralph Hofer  Tamiya A6M3 converted from A6M5 
                                  Trumpeter Me262A-1a Rudolf Sinner  Hasegawa Ki-84 Anabuki  Revell (Hasegawa) Fw190D-13 Yellow 10
                                  PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#49 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

BTW - unfortunately the 'Kidd' on the UC door was gone by the time the invasion stripes were on - refer to the first pic in post #39

HpH SG38 Schulgleiter

Trumpeter P-40B AVG

PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#50 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thomas

Nice progress on the Brothers .. looking forward to see the guys with te gear and markings on

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

28146136-1604-47fb-8199-6da5bdad1698_zps

On the Bench

Fisher Sea Fury FB.11

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

Tamiya P-51D Duchess Arlene, Tamiya P-51D Mustang Old Crow

Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt "The Farmingdale Jug",   Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc  George "Buzz" Beurling, Canadian Leading Ace

Trumpeter F8F-1 Bearcat, Tamiya P-51D Mustang... Big Beautiful Doll

#51 Mal_Belford

Mal_Belford

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

WOW..

This i Like Alot. .:D

Just love the paint job. preshade its just perfekct, and i am really curious when you take that chipping off :) (i love chipping as you allready know) want to se the result :D im gonna follow this thread for shure :D

/Mal

#52 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 22,341 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Terrific work Thomas!

Kev

#53 Ironwing

Ironwing

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Tom,

Looking really good. You're dedication to get the finish right is just lovely to see.

Best,

Geoff

#54 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks guys

Brian - I am very carefull to have fun building. Some years ago I got NOTHING done so I stepped back and noticed what was wrong. Too much AMS = too little fun. So relaxing a bit with the accuracy made it all a whole lot more fun.

Kev - I too dont have an eye for shape issues, I usually say I am blessed not to have it. However if pointed out I can sometimes see it. I'll have to look into the rear window thing now... :-)

Wrench: Funny enough, I plan to do a partial NMF bird one day and Hofer's is on the top of the list (do you guys do lists as well?)

You hit the nail on the head for me.  I have too many builds where I started going nuts trying to figure out all the corrections and never really got to building the thing.

I'm going to do a 15th AF bird with my 51-B....got the Aires replacement wheel wells and cockpit and some exhaust pipes (Moskit or somebody like that).    It'll look good next to my 15th AF B-17G!

And then there's an FW-190A..... :thumbsup:

Tim W.

#55 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

You hit the nail on the head for me.  I have too many builds where I started going nuts trying to figure out all the corrections and never really got to building the thing.

I'm going to do a 15th AF bird with my 51-B....got the Aires replacement wheel wells and cockpit and some exhaust pipes (Moskit or somebody like that).    It'll look good next to my 15th AF B-17G!

And then there's an FW-190A..... :thumbsup:

Tim W.

It's a fine balance Tim, not too much fussing about, but also enough for one to feel good about what you did...

P-51B next to your B-17G - will be great !! I've skipped the B-17, simply too big for me, but I did get a B-25. I skipped the Aires wheel well in build #2. Not that there is anything wrong with it at all, but I was just dying to move ahead and didn't want to wait for one to arrive. Did fit the Aires cockpit though - would have looked bad with a regular trumpy cockpit in one and Aires in the other.

HpH SG38 Schulgleiter

Trumpeter P-40B AVG

PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#56 Daywalker

Daywalker

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Excellent progress Thomas, loving these builds!  I think the OD and gray looks very good, keep at it!

-Frank

#57 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ok... I dont like chicken'ing out. So I just had to try to paint those damn chequers.

I found a good way to cut strips of Tamiya tape of a consistent width of 2.3mm. I think that worked out ok.

I painted the area white and applied the first round of strips

006_zps17eba232.jpg

To me this looked as consistent as I could get. So I shot a coat of red paint

009_zpsa527ae3c.jpg

And peeled off the strips before applying the second round. It looks like utter s... What looked consistent was not. Enough variation of the chequer size to make me sure that I could not place the second round and get a good pattern. Also the amount of handling to cut the tape took away some tack, so I apparantly it didn't stay down eveywhere resulting in some bleeding and underspray

114754c6-410f-4e4b-8926-2c14f1d2ccc5_zps

Oh well - I tried. I know I would have been thinking about it every time I looked at if I didn't try. Off to strip this and restore the OD now... After that I need to mix a red to match the decals

Edited by Thomas Lund, 24 October 2013 - 08:01 PM.

• Showtime 100 likes this

HpH SG38 Schulgleiter

Trumpeter P-40B AVG

PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#58 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 22,341 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Ah, bummer Thomas! Masking and painting a chequered pattern is tricky. I tried it on my Sea Venom wing-tip tanks, and while it worked out OK, they're a bit ropey up close. And took forever to do! Good luck with your second go.

Kev

#59 Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Kev, I just looked over the chequer part of your Sea Venom and I got an idea on how to do it. I was actually thinking I'd go decal, but I'll give it another try... Thanks... I think :-) But I think I'll try on a piece of spare plastic first

HpH SG38 Schulgleiter

Trumpeter P-40B AVG

PCM Macchi Mc202 & 205

#60 Azgaron

Azgaron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Nice builds! Looking good so far Thomas!

Håkan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users