• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,277 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

I came across this post and link. Merit International is in the process of releasing a 1/200 scale USS Hornet.  Who could resist?

https://www.facebook...44978476&type=1

Does anyone have any additional information about the forth coming kit? :rolleyes:

28146136-1604-47fb-8199-6da5bdad1698_zps

On the Bench

Fisher Sea Fury FB.11

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

Tamiya P-51D Duchess Arlene, Tamiya P-51D Mustang Old Crow

Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt "The Farmingdale Jug",   Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc  George "Buzz" Beurling, Canadian Leading Ace

Trumpeter F8F-1 Bearcat, Tamiya P-51D Mustang... Big Beautiful Doll

#2 Puncher 75

Puncher 75

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi Peter, being a ship modeler I know a bit about  this forcoming kit. Trumpeter are doing the molds for the Hornet as well as the aircraft. The aircraft are in the 2013 Trumpeter catalog. Unfortunately the hull is wrong as it was in the Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Hornet.If you decided to do a waterline version it will not be that noticeable. Bt the time the aftermarket guys get finished with it it will look ok. It is about as big as the Trumpeter Bismarck in 1/200 scale. I will certainly be buying one and build it with the B-25's. They have a USS Missiouri planned as well which I really want.

I do not know the release date as yet.

HTH

Ken

On The Workbench

1/32 A-7A Corsair II ( Conversion)

1/32 B-25J Strafer

1/32 P-61B

1/200 Bismarck ( Long Term Project)

#3 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ken

Thanks for the information. I always wanted to build a large ship model but know next to nothing about them. The Hornet would be a project that would certainly get me into the water. Hopefully, the kit can be built OOB and be a good representation with just AM add-ons and not requiring plastic surgery. Are there any plans for releasing other aircraft besides the B-25's for the Hornet? :rolleyes:

On the Bench

Fisher Sea Fury FB.11

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt "The Farmingdale Jug",   Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc  George "Buzz" Beurling, Canadian Leading Ace

#4 Puncher 75

Puncher 75

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Peter, Yes Trumpeter have included other aircraft with this kit. F4-F Wildcat, TBD, and the SBD aircraft. So if the B-25's are not your thing you can do an early USS Hornet. Here's a link to the Trumpeter page.

Cheers,

Ken

http://scalemodels.r..._18_nEO_IMG.jpg

On The Workbench

1/32 B-25J Strafer

1/32 P-61B

#5 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Ken

Thanks for the link. heading over there right now.

On the Bench

Fisher Sea Fury FB.11

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

#6 Bill M.

Bill M.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

From the accompanying comments, it looks like the importer is soliciting and accepting information to correct the hull. Now, whether It gets forwarded on to Trumpeter, and whether they act upon it remains to be seen. I certainly hope so. With a kit this large, I don't think we can expect the after-market manufacturers to help out with a corrected hull.

#7 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 11,093 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

So what's wrong with the hull?

Kevin

I used to be indecisive;... now I'm not so sure.

In Progress: 1:24 Bf 109K-4

output_EfpzVh_zps33d09002.gif

#8 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,277 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I've seen all types of corrections done to the 1/200 Arizona and Bismarck its and one built without the corrections. For me, I'm in no matter what.

Edited by Peterpools, 03 April 2013 - 09:46 PM.

On the Bench

Fisher Sea Fury FB.11

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

#9 Bill M.

Bill M.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

So what's wrong with the hull?

Take a look at the links in the posted comments in the first link above. They explain the problems with the hulls in the earlier 1/700 and 1/350 Yorktown-class kits better than I can. It doesn't look like an easy fix. I hope Trumpeter rises to the challenge and get the hull on this one right. I also hope they release a CV-5 USS Yorktown and/or a CV-6 USS Enterprise. I suppose the aftermarket folks might come out with some conversion sets if Trumpeter doesn't.

#10 Puncher 75

Puncher 75

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Take a look at the links in the posted comments in the first link above. They explain the problems with the hulls in the earlier 1/700 and 1/350 Yorktown-class kits better than I can. It doesn't look like an easy fix. I hope Trumpeter rises to the challenge and get the hull on this one right. I also hope they release a CV-5 USS Yorktown and/or a CV-6 USS Enterprise. I suppose the aftermarket folks might come out with some conversion sets if Trumpeter doesn't.

Sorry Bill I have bad news for you. The hull is finalised from Trumpeter.Trumpeter have said this on other discussion forums. The molds are done and the hull will be incorrect. The below the waterline looks nothing like the real Hornet hull. The Hornets hull does not look like a supertanker hull and was very sleek in design for highspeed. Best if you build it as a waterline job. FYI the Bismarck hull is incorrect around the bottom of the hull at the stern also.

Ken

On The Workbench

1/32 B-25J Strafer

1/32 P-61B

#11 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 11,093 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Darn shame that with so much assistance, data, and accurate plans that they still managed to botch it up.

Kevin

#12 Propwash

Propwash

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Trumpeter seems to have a knack for getting their kits about 80 - 90 percent correct, making a botch of the remainder and then turning a deaf ear to customer input.   Sorry to hear about the hull. If not for that, I might have been interested in this kit.

Jerry Peterson

#13 Bill M.

Bill M.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yes, that will probably kill it for me. I don't understand how a modeling company can continue to colossally botch the hull shape when the correct hull lines are readily available and particularly when they have been roundly criticized for the equally bad hulls on their earlier 1/700 and 1/350 releases. I just don't understand how a modeling company can so callously disregard the expectations of its customers.

By the way, you mentioned that this has been discussed on other forums-- care to share a link or two?
Bill M.

#14 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 11,093 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

There are links to reviews on the OP link to Facelook,... I missed them too. :blush:

Kevin

#15 LSP_Mike

LSP_Mike

LSP Staff

• LSP Moderator
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well, the good news is that if I want to do a huge scale Hornet, I can, albeit as a water-line model. That may not be bad, as a completed model like this should be in a case, and it will be a little less expensive, and more stable.

The Trumpy thing is certainly odd. They produce a pretty good range of kits/variety of scales, yet have consistantly gotten at best mixed reviews. They have earned this the hard way in my opinion. With the rise in information sharing, and the increasing sophistication of modellers, they have continued to allow glaring errors in shape to go into production. That is a business decision at some level. I do not want a lot of rants about business models to creep into this, I think it suffices to say that the decisions are made, and kits are produced with errors.-on the other hand-They have made some kits that others prolly would not have touched, so it is surely a mixed bag. The best way to address this is to continue to share as much info as possible, so that our members can make their own informed choices. I have a 1/350 Hornet, so now I know to build it as a waterline kit, fix the hull, or leave it be. Building as a waterline would prolly do more to push my skill set, so that will be the way I go. Your mileage may vary. Regarding 1/32 planes: I choose which kits to spend money on very carefully. No Corsairs; I'll stay with the Revell kit. (scribing, and adding detail with plastic and bits is more fun.) Same with the Hellcat; I have a Hase kit. I do have the P-40, but will address those issues when I build it.

I'd like all kits to be to WNW standard, but they aren't, so I want to make informed choices.

in progress:

1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users