Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII

Daywalker

Just finished this one today, what an amazing kit which needs no introduction. This is the second Tamiya release, the Mk.VIII finished in the markings of Col. Charles "Sandy" McCorkle- CO of the 31st FG. Destroying 5 enemy aircraft in the air, he became one of a handful of American Spitfire Aces.

I used the HGW seatbelts on this build, as well as Barracudacast resin wheels, canopy latch and seat. The cannon barrels are Master turned brass. I used custom mixes of Tamiya acrylics for the paint, and decals from the Spitfire Mk.VIII booklet from Kagero and upper wing and fuselage stars from a Victory Productions sheet. The bottom star was masked and painted with Maketar masks due to the lumps and bumps under the wing. I opted not to remove the seam on the sliding canopy, had a bad feeling that I would destroy it doing so. I can live with the seam.

All feedback and constructive criticism gladly received. Thank you for looking!

001-12.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-7.jpg

011-1.jpg

005-6.jpg

Hi Daywalker,

Another great model to your credit!

I like the top notch painting and subtle wheathering. Wing root chipping and exhaust staining are very appropriate.

To be picky, I have a couple of remarks:

I find the wheathering of the wheels a bit too "flashy" (I guess a sandy color was airbrushed - I would have used pigments instead).

Instinctively, I would have placed the sand/brown and blue camo hard separation line at the natural limits of the side/lower cowling panels. If not at the panel limits, as you did, I would have prefer a soft demarcation. Well, I haven't seen any picture of the actual aircraft so I might be wrong...

Cheers

Edited by Warbird

Frank,

Outstanding result.

Its got everything I like.

The Med/North Africa scheme and I have a particular thing for builds in markings different to the country of manufacture.

Very, very nice Spit.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Edited by PhilB