Decal/Mask Help!

TimW

Hello all--

Most of you may be aware I'm trying to get together some 1/32 VV-S markings for the HK B-25J...I found somebody (Mal Mayfield) who can do them, but he needs a hi-resolution scan of the nose art in the image below.

1_2_b4_zps036aa6da.jpg

I believe these come from a 1/48th Authentic Decals set, which I do not have. The scan needs to be 300+dpi at 1:1 [and square on the scanner bed], whatever that means.

I'm afraid my decal experience is limited to putting them in water and then sticking them on the aircraft (apart from using Montex Masks a time or two).

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

As I am getting asked to do decals and the like, I am concerned about trademark infringement. I wonder if scanning this artwork for use by another is a good idea. I have got some info on this area but copyright ,trademark law is a minefield.

Anyone?

As I am getting asked to do decals and the like, I am concerned about trademark infringement. I wonder if scanning this artwork for use by another is a good idea. I have got some info on this area but copyright ,trademark law is a minefield.

Anyone?

A good point--I don't know what the rules for the decal sheet itself would be; it would be very surprised if the particular aircraft markings/nose art were copyrighted.

I wonder if I'll have to go for a different nose marking?

Thoughts?

Tim W.

Copyright pertains to the actual product, like the decals/image in the above message. Copying the decals and/or image and using it to create new decals would be a copyright infringement.

Trademark is related to the use of the company/business name. Using the company name as your own would be a trademark infringement.

Copying the decals/image above and using the company name to resell these in 1/32 scale would be both a copyright and trademark infringement.

It would not be a good idea to copy those decals. That's intellectual property owned by someone else.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I'm a musician that owns a trademark on the band name.

All that being said, I'd LOVE to see some Russian versions of the B-25! I am just about to complete the glass nose (natural metal version of The Ink Squirts) and just received the strafer version in the mail from Sprue Bros.

-Ro

There are really 3 basic approaches to solving a copyright conundrum: when in doubt, don't; seek permission; publish and be damned. The last one invites a law suit, but most grey areas in any legal framework are contested and clarified in the courts.

Tim, just contact the producer of those decals and ask if you can scale up his/her artwork to produce 1/32 masks. The original artwork on the aircraft might not be subject to copyright, but the one posted in this thread most certainly is.

Kev

My understanding is that I can make whatever I want from period pix of the actual aircraft. Not being of the copycat mindset , I would approach from an original standpoint. Some decal sets have a reference source listed on the package, a good place to start.

I can make vinyl masks for you for the project, one of a few ideas I am mulling for these bigger kits.

It's generally accepted that its alright to make resin copies of a model part you've bought provided it's for your personal use, so therefore if you buy a set of the decals and have Mal produce a set solely for yourself I personally wouldn't see a problem, this way your conscience is clear as you've purchased the copywritten material and you'd have a high quality image to copy. I was in a similar boat, contacted the manufacturer, but didn't receive a reply, and this was a UK-based company.

ps. You could open the conversation by asking if they have plans to produce decals for that aircraft in 1/32.

Edited by Kagemusha

Allright. Thanks, all for the input. I shall evaluate my options and figure out what to do next!

One way or another, this bad boy will have VV-S markings!

Cheers,

Tim W.

So references are availble on the web, worth trying out a mask set. Tonight is my IPMS swap meet , where grown men act like women at a bra sale, always a patience test. I;m bringin' a stick as well as 5 boxes of stuff.

Wasn't there a VV-S variant that was marketed with the WingsXL initial packaging of the B-25?

Yeh, the original one was supposed to have a Soviet option.

No idea what happened to that idea as what eventually came with the kit was rather minimalist.

Tim W.