I was scratching around trying to figure out what I could start working on while waiting on bits and pieces to finish various other projects, briefly toying with the idea of starting another vac kit after having such a blast with my first one. That build was an answer to one of my three main modelling resolutions for 2013; two weeks in and I've built a vac kit.
The second modelling resolution was to build a resin kit, so what better way to continue how I started than to pull one out and get going! I've chosen the XS-Models Hughes H-1 short-wing racer:
Andreas from XS-Models sent me this kit to review, and I've been wanting to build it ever since. Most of my other resin kits are from Silver Wings, and there's no way I want to tackle a biplane for my first resin kit! (Or a resin kit for my first biplane, for that matter.)
The kit itself has all the major components in resin, with a bag of white metal parts, a PE fret and a couple of vacform canopies. There is also a couple of small decal sheets.
The first thing to do is take all the resin parts out of their bags and give them a good scrub in warm soapy water:
If you look carefully you can see some water still beading up on the parts, so I followed this up with a generous wipe-down with Windex (an ammonia-based window cleaner). Whether this is enough to remove all the mould-release agent, I guess we'll find out!
The parts are now ready for clean-up, which they need quite a bit of. I plan to test-assemble all the major components after that to get an idea of any potential hazards and pitfalls. But that's for the next update!