Trumpy's Curtiss P-40B AVG markings

Thomas Lund

Just a little something I'm working on after a longer break from it. Corrected the shallow cockpit with a CMK resin set and I've added Eduard PE flaps (love those things).

Just a short while to go, painted with WEM and ExtraColor. Decals partially from EagleCals with custom printed decals for Charles Older's bird that I got from a gentleman on the net.

007-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys

I would like to hear your thoughts on the CMK cockpit. I have this kit in the stash and have debated over whether or not to get an A/M cockpit, or just go OOB.

It has been a while since I did the cockpit as I had this model sitting on the shelf for a while, but as far as I remember I fit very nicely and looks great. The cockpit is one of two real problem areas on this kit - the other one being huge deep rivets all over - with the cockpit depth being only about 2/3 of the actual size resulting in somethink that looks real odd. I'm not one that measures kits with calipers or make statements about a certain curve being off - I am blessed with a lack of eye for that - but this one was obvious even to me.

One of my favorites! I have one in the stash, but will have to get a replacement set for the Hobbit cockpit that comes with the kit. The Vintage Models 1/24 kit had the same problem--I had to do some creative scratch-building to fix it.

Tim W.

• 2 months later...

After i finished decalling I gave it a clear coat, and then it was time for a dull coat for final weathering (AVG birds were filthy). Then this happens

130218-005_zps591de122.jpg

130218-006_zps66ce7d65.jpg

Lots of shouting regarding feces and copulation. I go on the net and find that sometimes this happen because of not using the manufactureres (Testors) thinner - giulty - and it can be saved with another coat using the right thinner. I did just that and it seemed to go away but it returned after drying up. Also as it was slowly disappearing while airbrushing I got a little carried away and got too much on.

On the left wing you'll se an attempt to clean it up, but it was pointless as I was destroying the paint itself.

So she now sleeps with the fish - she is suspended in a bath of brown soap as stronger things might react with the PE.

Maybe you'll see her again, let's see

This is one of those builds where EVERYTHING fights you all the way. Kit itself was ok, except for those rivets (and the cockpit but I knew that), decals cracked up and didn't settle down etc etc etc. I'll wait and see how the stripping goes before I buy some new decals.

Edited by Thomas Lund

I'm sorry to hear that you encounted such a problem at seemingly the very last hurdle Thomsa. I hope that you manage to recover the situation as you have made such an excellent build of this kit.

Good luck

Derek

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

I've seen this before and one of the causes is when alcohol and Dullcote are used and a white powder/film results as it dries. It was a common way of weathering in model railroading. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to remove it.

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks guys for your support.

I will strip it and repaint it and if that goes well I'll get some new decals.

Carl: Thanks for your offer, but since I started this - and decals for Charles Olders bird were nowhere to be found - kits-world has released them and I'll get those - if the stripping goes well.

• 6 months later...