WnW AMC DH-2 7907 ---- 32 Sqn Sept 1916 ---- DONE!

Out2gtcha

Since my my strafer B-25 (my own personal Great White Buffalo) has alluded me once again with ill release timing, with the first being the Wing Scale release……and since its not going to likely be on US shores or US distributor till late Dec or Jan, Im taking Eli’s advice and building something in the mean time. Im on schedule with my house cleaning so I figured I go for something Ive not done before…………………….

Not ever snow boarded before?
Take the bunny slope to start right?
Nah………….Ill take the black diamond run

Not ever driven a car before in your life?
Learn from an instructor in a Ford Focus right?
Nah…………..Ill take the 8000 Bhp NHRA Top Fuel dragster

Not ever build a WWI kit or one rigged a WWI kit before?
Build a Sop Tripe or wait for a D VII right?
Nah…………Ill go ahead and build a DH-2

Lots of firsts for me here…………first WWI build…………first WnW kit build…………first attempt at rigging………….and since WnW give you all the paint codes they recommend in Tamiya acrylic numbers, Ill be painting this one in acrylics and clearing with MM lacquer clears.

This ones going to be right from Sir Peter as he intended, with the exception of the rigging material, which isn’t supplied, so is more of a necessity than an option if you plan on building an even remotely accurate WWI build. Ill be using heavy EZ Line for the thicker airfoil rigging, and fine EZ Line for the thinner control and internal brace rigging.
I will also be adding AM in the form of some of Bobs Buckles 2.5 mm tubing and eyelets. I debated on getting some of Radus beautiful turnbuckes to add in, but figured with THIS much rigging ahead of me, I could stand to leave them out and just add in BBs eyelets and mini tubes since I already had a large stash of them.

Heres what im starting with –

DSC01065.jpg

Adding some AM only in the form of LOTS of Bobs Buckles eyelets and tubing –

DSC01058.jpg

This bird is going to be SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than most all of my previous builds.
Its less than ½ the size of my 1/24th CHC II –

DSC01067.jpg

The level of detail of this kit of phenomenal

DSC01069.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01068.jpg

The instructions are EVERY bit as good as the excellent ZM instructions for my SPAD were with concise step by step drawings of the assembly with relevant picks of the 1:1 –

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

Here is the scheme Ill be going for with 6 kills from Sept 1916 –

DSC01071.jpg

CONTINUED…………………

Edited by Out2gtcha

The real deal AND the 1/32 model both share the same thing in common………..MIND NUMBING RIGGING!

The way I figure it, if I can actually finish this one, rigging and all, to my own satisfaction, then it’s all gravy on most any other WWI fighter or bomber out there –

DSC01070.jpg

Gdh2.jpg

airco-dh2.jpg

Now that I finished cleaning out my computer room (that was this last weeks “room to clean of the week”) I can finally feel good about starting something modeling wise, even if its not my GWB……………….ah but some day soon.

More pics to come when Ive actually started something lads……………

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Welcome to the Great War.

Looking forward to you joining in and can't wait to see what you are going to do with the kit. I have one and am eager to take lots of notes.

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Brian,

Nice subject to build, and as I see on the site these do look good, just ordered the Sopwith Triplane, so I will be watching with great interest, just love what you do on your models.

Regards

Richard

Brian

Welcome to the Great War.

Looking forward to you joining in and can't wait to see what you are going to do with the kit. I have one and am eager to take lots of notes.

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter................you mean take lots of notes on what not to do...... :lol:

Ahh Poor Brian,

At Least I can say I knew you before you compleatly went "round the bend" :mental: I have a WnW DVA and Radus buckles, I built the plane, I rigged the landing gear so far and then shelved it until my supply of Glen Fiddich returns to a normally stocked level in the house ( and I dont usually drink) :evil_laugh:

All the best to you and your build! :popcorn:

Paul

Brilliant choice! I have the DH-2/Eindecker combo and am anticipating a much more rewarding experience than I had with the Roden DH!

I shall watch this with interest.

Tim W.

Brian,

I'm in a similar situation. I see all these wonderful WNW builds and really want to do one. I do have a little experience with rigging, but just enough to have soured my taste for it (but, in all fairness, it was 1/72 and 1/48 kits, so a bit more tedious). However, seeing you "take the bull by the horns" is very inspirational and I like your attitude! I may just build one of these yet. I'll certainly be watching this build and cheering you on, along the way. :punk:

John

Strewth, its was only a suggestion the other day mate! :shrug:

I didn't think you would actually go and do it!

I just hope that strafer doesn't turn up in the middle of this one to tempt you.

But, knowing the attention you pay to ALL your builds I'm sure this will be a beauty! :thumbsup:

I have a fair bit of experience in counselling so go easy on this booger, be prepared to walk away once in a while!

Onward!!!!!!!

:popcorn:

What can I say Brian other than to echo your sentiments exactly! I'll definitely be watching your progress on this one as it's going to take some real finesse to get just right. Somehow though, based on your other WIP posts, I don't think you're going to have too many difficulties. Just make sure your pet spider has eaten his Wheaties, LOL! Good luck!

Cheers,

Wolf

HAHA! Thanks guys............and yes, I sincerely hope I don't go crazy with this thing..................Im hoping I might actually like rigging; maybe.

Question for those in the know, and if needed might even place this as a separate thead but wanted to know.......

What color WAS the rigging back then, silver (ish) as metal cable might be......or darker.....lighter?

Thanks in advance,

Guest Peterpools

Tim W

I have the same kit and it's up for starting as soon as the Albatros and Jug are completed. These WNW kits are beyond addictive.

Peter