Me-262 A-1a Early Version

scvrobeson

Hey everybody. Since the Flycatcher has suffered quite a disastrous set-back, I figured I would start a different project to get my mind off of things and get something built up, so I got into my -262. LuckyModel had these on really deep sale a few weeks ago, so I picked one up when it was only 30 dollars, which is an awesome deal.

This is one of my favorite planes, and I just finished reading "Sharks of the Air", which is a concise history of the -262 and Willy Messerschmitt. It's a book I recommend to everyone on here to read, really gives amazing insight into the development and usage of this plane.

While planning this project, I also picked up the CMK cockpit for the A-1a, since the Aires one was three times as expensive. I also picked up the EagleCals for -262 A-1s; and three reference books, Brett Green's "Stormbird Colors", Squadron's "Walk Around", and Kagero's "Me-262 Volume 1".

Here are the photos, this will be a big, multi-part update, so enjoy guys.

Me-262A-1aEarly001.jpg

Great box-art, which seems kind of rare for Trumpeter. This depicts a very rare instance, because Lancaster's weren't shot down by -262s until mid-April 1945 once they met over Hamburg.

Me-262A-1aEarly002.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly003.jpg

Great photos in this one of "Black X", the only un-restored -262 in the world. Lots of photos to help me add detail to this one.

Me-262A-1aEarly004.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly005.jpg

This is an amazing book, probably the best of the 3. It offers a lot of operational and color info on the 262, but also includes about 30 pages of 3D CAD artwork of the interior components of the jet, including many different diagrams and views of the Jumo jet engines.

Me-262A-1aEarly008.jpg

Here's the instruction sheet for the CMK interior set. This is actually very nicely detailed, and includes the main wheel well walls, which is an area sadly neglected by Trumpeter. And the instrument panel includes all of the wiring on the back, which is great that I don't have to add it all in . And it includes an Eduard color photo-etch fret to add seatbelts and the IP.

Me-262A-1aEarly006.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly007.jpg

And the Eagle Cals set. This is an awesome decal sheet, and I will probably end up doing "Black 1" off of it. I really like the mix-and-match camo scheme indicative of the end of the war, when spares were just patched together from various sources, and rarely painted.

Me-262A-1aEarly022.jpg

I might also do this scheme, which is offered from Montex as part of their Super Mask series. I like the really beat up color scheme on this one, I will decide later on which one I want to do.

Edited by scvrobeson

I'll be watching this one, for sure! I really, really, really want to build this kit, too. I've just had trouble deciding on what scheme/markings to do. I really like that "Black 1" scheme. Never seen that one before and it's very unique. Whichever one you decide on, I'm sure it will turn out great. I'm looking forward to seeing this one built!

John

First step was to spray the interior of the fuselage with the anodized aluminum coat. This was done with Alclad Aluminum, and then overcoated with an extremely thin coat of Gunze Clear yellow, and then Tamiya X-19 Smoke weathered and dulled down the paint color. The color looks very good, since you can really only see the yellow from certain angles, which is accurate.

Me-262A-1aEarly010.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly011.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly015.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly016.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly017.jpg

Very, very nice detail in the CMK set. This should paint and weather up very well. There is still a bit of wiring to add to make it all accurate, but I can cross that bridge when I get to it. Since the wheel bay is in essence the bottom of the cockpit, all of this is on display, so it has to be done perfectly to really get the effect. Since the -262s weren't really ridden into the ground like many other fighters, I can't trash the insides with weathering, but they were well used, and leaked fluids pretty profusely inside the wheels bays.

Me-262A-1aEarly019.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly020.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly021.jpg

Also got the base-coat on the cockpit, and got it dry-brushed. This was actually pretty hard to do, since CMK molded it as one complete piece, so getting into some of the angles was a little interesting. There is still a lot of color and a few washes and such to do in there, but it should come together nicely. There is not much wiring to add, since all of the wiring in the 262 ran through the sidewalls out of the cockpit, so there really isn't much except what is behind the instrument panel.

Me-262A-1aEarly013.jpg

Also started work on the gun bay. Once this is painted and weathered, there will be lots of wiring and grime added to this one. The 30mm Mk.108 Borsig cannons were notoriously dirty, and the nose gun bay was a mass of wiring from the electronic control boxes on the back wall.

Me-262A-1aEarly009.jpg

And a quick look at the dry-fit of the fuselage, this should go together very, very well. Which will be good because of the mostly NMF undersides.

That's the start of this one. I hope that you all are going to enjoy this build, and like how it's started. I really want to make this one perfect, since this is my favorite German plane of World War 2, I want to make this right. The engines will both be displayed outside of the jet, all wired up, and the cowlings will be covered with intake and exhaust covers. Thankfully Trumpeter provides two very complete Jumo engines, so it makes the job easy..

Thanks to everyone for reading in and commenting on this build, I will try and get some more work done on this one in the next few days. Hope you all like it!

Matt :party0023:

I'll be watching this one, for sure! I really, really, really want to build this kit, too. I've just had trouble deciding on what scheme/markings to do. I really like that "Black 1" scheme. Never seen that one before and it's very unique. Whichever one you decide on, I'm sure it will turn out great. I'm looking forward to seeing this one built!

John

Thanks John! I hadn't seen that scheme before I started looking for decals for this kit, and I really liked Black 1. There is also one at the top, "Yellow 2", which has RLM 02 squiggles all over the fuselage and wings. There are so many great schemes for the 262, that there is always one to do.

I hope to not disappoint with this build. This really is a great kit to start with, and hopefully the additions will take it to the next level.

Thanks for reading in! I'm enjoying your P-36 build

Looks good so far Matt!

I just myself received that same kit to use with my U4 conversion I got from shatton modellbau.

If you do this one -

Me-262A-1aEarly022.jpg

(My buddy Pete did this one - PeteG here on LSP) and found after research that the NMF engine housing rings are incorrect, and were painted in the same camo as the rest of the bird.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Loved the into to the 262 build and all the information for the project as well. Interior and the front office are coming together quite nicely. Since you're planning on having both Jumo engines detailed and displayed outside the aircraft, any thoughts on how you're going to display the completed aircraft?

I might have missed it, but what happened to the Flycatcher?

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Looks good so far Matt!

I just myself received that same kit to use with my U4 conversion I got from shatton modellbau.

If you do this one -

(My buddy Pete did this one - PeteG here on LSP) and found after research that the NMF engine housing rings are incorrect, and were painted in the same camo as the rest of the bird.

Thank you very much for the info Brian. I will look into doing this one, but I'm not 100% decided any way. I will probably do the one off of the Eagle Cal sheet, but I like having multiple options available.

I hope to see your build on here too. The U4 conversion looks cool, and really gives you a distinctive 262. Is the nose on that solid, or is it hollow cast so you can add more weight to it?

Hi Matt

Loved the into to the 262 build and all the information for the project as well. Interior and the front office are coming together quite nicely. Since you're planning on having both Jumo engines detailed and displayed outside the aircraft, any thoughts on how you're going to display the completed aircraft?

I might have missed it, but what happened to the Flycatcher?

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

hey Pete. I'm planning probably a normal late-war airfield scene with the 262, probably add a Kettenkrad, a power cart, and some other associated stuff to look like a Luftwaffe field. I know most of the fields were pretty shoddy by the end of the war, so I want to show that off with the display and build.

i sent you a PM about the Flycatcher, but safe to say, it is off the bench for the time being.

Thanks for reading in, I'm glad you enjoy it.

Wow. Off to a great start, already! :speak_cool:

Thank you very much John! I'm glad you like it. The detail set is very, very nice, and should go together nicely. And the Trumpeter kit is supposed to be one of their best, so I'm sure it will go together very well.

Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad you're enjoying this build.

Very nice start, Matt!

Care to share the info that definitively shows the engine inlets wearing camo paint on this particular airplane? I'm building this bird as well, and would love to see any/all info that you, Pete or anyone else might have on it.

TIA,

D

I hope to see your build on here too. The U4 conversion looks cool, and really gives you a distinctive 262. Is the nose on that solid, or is it hollow cast so you can add more weight to it?

NP Matt, looks like your scooting right along on this one!

The Shatton 262 U4 conversion is VERY nice and is indeed hollow and not solid. You could very easily add weight up front in it, around the GIANT brass (and well fitting) canon.

Care to share the info that definitively shows the engine inlets wearing camo paint on this particular airplane? I'm building this bird as well, and would love to see any/all info that you, Pete or anyone else might have on it.

No problem D. Im not sure which reference book Pete determined that in (Jerry Crandels book maybe?), but I think he had more than one, or some convincing pics maybe that showed no NMF on the fronts of the nacelles.

If you like, I might suggest PMing Pete, (user is "PeteG" from Omaha ) and asking him directly, and I can give Pete a heads up off boards to make sure he sees it. :)

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Love the airfield idea for a vignette or diorama. Looking forward to that that part of the build down the road. :speak_cool:

Peter

So what happened to the Flycatcher? Looked like you were moving right along and had the finish line in sight?

Doug

Hey Doug. The Flycatcher was packed up in its box to go to my local model meeting, and decided it wanted to take an impromptu flight off of my couch onto the floor. So the interior, completely sealed up and with very tight tolerances, practically dis-assembled itself. So I've had to break apart the fuselage, and try and repair all of the damage to the interior, before putting the fuselage back together and re-painting everything. The finish line was getting close with that one, but now it has been put on the back-burner. I'm not happy about it, but these things happen in the model building world.