1/32nd scale ID Models Boeing B-29 - FINISHED

tomprobert

I am a big fan of vacforms and scratch building and have built many a challenging model over the years from companies such as Sanger, Aircraft in Miniature, Combat Models and ID Models. I really enjoy the challanges these types of kits bring, and there is no doubt thay have improved my skills and developed my model making abilities considerably.

My current long-term project is ID Models' Boeing B-29 Superfortress in 1/32nd scale. This kit is as basic as they come - you get the shell of the fuselage and wings, but no other details whatsoever. All the interior, undercarriage and propellers will be need to be scratch built, and all surface details such as panel lines and aerials will need to be scribed on or again sratch built.

This kit is huge - one of the biggest I've ever set eyes on, and will have a wing span in excess of 54" once finished.

Here is what I'm starting with:

DSCF5493.jpg

DSCF5495.jpg

DSCF5492.jpg

The 'small' fuselage, cowling and wings are from the Monogram 1/48th kit - this gives you a sense of the size!

So far, I've got as far as removing the fuselage from the backing sheet:

DSCF5503.jpg

I've drilled the cockpit windows and added the frmaework from Evergreen strip:

DSCF5512.jpg

DSCF5517.jpg

DSCF5525.jpg

I've also started some basic interior work such as bulkheads etc:

DSCF5530.jpg

DSCF5531.jpg

DSCF5529.jpg

The model will be finished with an open bomb-bay and fully detailed interior, so it's going to be a lot of work. Eventually, I plan to finish her as The Kee Bird, made famous by the failed recovery attempt from the Greenland ice in 1994:

As I said this is going to be along project, and for those interested I'll keep you updated on developments as I progress.

Happy modelling!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert