• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

Anyone ever seen that old newsreel of the Mustangs starting up and featured front and center is a bare metal Mustang with The Deacon on the cowl?

I know there was a guy in the ETO called Deacon complete with a cartoon character on the cowl, but the one I remember was very plain Jane....

Ring any bells? Anyone?

Someone once said it was a Korea newsreel, bu I can't recall...

That buggy sticks in my mind....

Completed: WnW Junkers J.l. WnW Pfalz D.Xll, Albatros D.V, Tamiya Zero, Tamiya P-51 City of WinnipegCompleted last 6 months: WnW Re.8, Eduard 109E, Tamiya Spitfire, Junkers J.1, Albatros D.VOn the bench: WnW Albie D.V,In Que: 2 more Albatros D.V and one D.Va, DH.9a, LVG, Rumpler, Pfalz D.lll, FE.2b, DH.2, Brisfit, Hannover, Tripe, Pup, W.29, and the Eindekker that came with the DH.2.Roden Fokker Triplane, Roden Nieuport 27. Encore Albatros D.ll and Encore Fokker Triplane Voss prototype.Then, maybe soon, one of the Silver Wings kits in the closet: Gladiator, Hart, or Focke Wulf trainer.I'm hooked on WWl and ragwing stuff.Jets and WWll stuff are back in the stash.On hold, partially built: RoG Ju.88, WnW Gotha G.lV, Kittyhawk T-6G<p>

output_EfpzVh_zps33d09002.gif

#2 Jim Starling

Jim Starling

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Korea ... Deacon ... NMF P-51D ...

Rings a very faint bell .... I'll "think on it" and let you know Clunk
The sound of squeaking track brings it all back

#3 phantom

phantom

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Could it be Col Hess?
mike

On the bench:
1/32 F-4G Conversion

1/32 Tamiya Corsair

1/32 USAF A-1 "Sopwith Camel"

1/32 MIG-23

1/32 A-6A Intruder

Finished:
1/32 A1H Skyraider VA-75                           1/32 Tamiya Mustang "Angels Playmate"
1/32 Minnesota ANG F-4D
1/32 P-51B
1/32 F-15C 318th FIS

1/32 Israeli A-4

1/32 P-47 "Slick Chick"

1/20 Falke

1/32 B-25J " Apache Princess"

#4 smithery

smithery

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Anyone ever seen that old newsreel of the Mustangs starting up and featured front and center is a bare metal Mustang with The Deacon on the cowl?

I know there was a guy in the ETO called Deacon complete with a cartoon character on the cowl, but the one I remember was very plain Jane....

Ring any bells? Anyone?

Someone once said it was a Korea newsreel, bu I can't recall...

That buggy sticks in my mind....

Is this the one you mean? (Image from Wings Pallette)

Posted Image
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

#5 Jim Starling

Jim Starling

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thinking along those lines too.

Go to http://www.littlefri...ery.php?Group=4 for a profile http://www.littlefri...2&searchString= of Hively's P-51B in camo with a full illustration (4th Fighter Group). There's also phots of P-47s marked as The Deacon. Hively's hometown is up for question too (Ohio or Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma is correct). Go to http://www.littlefri...ery.php?Group=4 for more.

Dean Hess' Korean '51 was marked differently, but I went down that same path at first, too.

Edited by Jim Starling, 19 August 2012 - 04:51 PM.

The sound of squeaking track brings it all back

#6 Night Hog

Night Hog

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Howard Hively is the right answer, but I always thought the Russian mission was with the "B" model profiled at http://www.littlefri...2&searchString=http://www.littlefri...2&searchString=

#7 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

I know about Howard Hively, but I'm not sure he flew in Korea....

That D model could be the one....maybe....

I've seen that old clip a million times on tv, but I can't find it myself...
Completed: WnW Junkers J.l. WnW Pfalz D.Xll, Albatros D.V, Tamiya Zero, Tamiya P-51 City of WinnipegCompleted last 6 months: WnW Re.8, Eduard 109E, Tamiya Spitfire, Junkers J.1, Albatros D.VOn the bench: WnW Albie D.V,In Que: 2 more Albatros D.V and one D.Va, DH.9a, LVG, Rumpler, Pfalz D.lll, FE.2b, DH.2, Brisfit, Hannover, Tripe, Pup, W.29, and the Eindekker that came with the DH.2.Roden Fokker Triplane, Roden Nieuport 27. Encore Albatros D.ll and Encore Fokker Triplane Voss prototype.Then, maybe soon, one of the Silver Wings kits in the closet: Gladiator, Hart, or Focke Wulf trainer.I'm hooked on WWl and ragwing stuff.Jets and WWll stuff are back in the stash.On hold, partially built: RoG Ju.88, WnW Gotha G.lV, Kittyhawk T-6G<p>

#8 Scat

Scat

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

That clip is on the finishing credits on the old Discovery Channel series ' Great Planes ' Its in colour so it could be later than WWII.

Jason

#9 TripleNickel

TripleNickel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

That clip is on the finishing credits on the old Discovery Channel series ' Great Planes ' Its in colour so it could be later than WWII.

Jason

That is a Iwo Jima Mustang in that clip... A 21FG/531FS Mustang with white nose...

#10 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

THAT'S the one I want todo next. So plain Jane it hurts, but it's cool....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users