13 replies to this topic

#1 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

So...

Has anyone besides me noted that the HK kit has absolutely no painting instructions for the interior of the aircraft?

I suppose I'm going to have to dig out the Accurate Miniatures kit (or a Monogram kit) to get some idea of what to do (apart from needing a lot of Bronze Green).

Anybody else have thoughts on how to approach this?

Fortunately, much of the Eduard PE is pre-painted so some of the details are taken care of.

Bemused,

Tim W.

#2 Cunumdrum61

Cunumdrum61

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Interior was painted interior green. The bomb bay and well whells were left natural metal as were the inside of the landing gear doors. The langing gear was painted aluminium.
HTH

#3 Propwash

Propwash

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

So...

Has anyone besides me noted that the HK kit has absolutely no painting instructions for the interior of the aircraft?

I suppose I'm going to have to dig out the Accurate Miniatures kit (or a Monogram kit) to get some idea of what to do (apart from needing a lot of Bronze Green).

Anybody else have thoughts on how to approach this?

Fortunately, much of the Eduard PE is pre-painted so some of the details are taken care of.

Bemused,

Tim W.

According to North American B-25 Mitchell - The Ultimate Look, p. 156:

"All interior metal surfaces exposed to view, other than the pilot's and radio operator's compartments, were finished with aluminized spar varnish. The finish in the pilot's and radio operator's compartments exposed metal surfaces were finshed as specified in two coats of Pine Green (over a coat of primer), or one coat of Light or Dark Grey Duco. . . . The fabric covering over the soundproofing in the pilot's and radio operator's compartments was finished in acetate dope. All corrugated metal flooring, other than that in the soundproof compartment, was given a final coat of aluminized spar varnish."

It goes on to specifiy colors for structural components, electrical, hydraulic and fuel lines, but this description is too lengthy to repeat here.

If you want what is probably the best B-25 reference available, I highly recommend this book.

Jerry Peterson

#4 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Regards,

Tim W.

#5 Jim Starling

Jim Starling

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

According to North American B-25 Mitchell - The Ultimate Look, p. 156:

"All interior metal surfaces exposed to view, other than the pilot's and radio operator's compartments, were finished with aluminized spar varnish. The finish in the pilot's and radio operator's compartments exposed metal surfaces were finshed as specified in two coats of Pine Green (over a coat of primer), or one coat of Light or Dark Grey Duco. . . . The fabric covering over the soundproofing in the pilot's and radio operator's compartments was finished in acetate dope. All corrugated metal flooring, other than that in the soundproof compartment, was given a final coat of aluminized spar varnish."

It goes on to specifiy colors for structural components, electrical, hydraulic and fuel lines, but this description is too lengthy to repeat here.

If you want what is probably the best B-25 reference available, I highly recommend this book.

Jerry Peterson

Thanks, Jerry.
That's something that should be on every Mitchell builder's "Get List"

The sound of squeaking track brings it all back

#6 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Found these on Ebay. Got them today (Saturday). Very nice range of decals, including all the missing stencils that the '25 should have.

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/190710224587

Anyone else tried these?

Tim W.

#7 A340 Pilot

A340 Pilot

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

In my researches, I've been in contact with several Royal Air Force B-25 Mitchell pilots and crew members. They all recalled a rather dark green color in the cockpit and manned spaces. This could be, unless North American had their own "Pine Green" aka. North American Green in one publication, Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green. This green color was used by North American Inglewood on all of their a/c until stocks ran out sometime in 1944, only then being replaced by Interior Green. On Kansas City- and Dallas-built a/c, Interior Green was used from the start.

Interior Green did not emerge as an approved and designated color until very late 1942, with stocks of the color reaching the a/c manufacturers in the spring of 1943. Stocks of any earlier interior finish were used up before the new color came into use.

Stein

Edited by A340 Pilot, 13 August 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Luck and superstition wins every time!

#8 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

In my researches, I've been in contact with several Royal Air Force B-25 Mitchell pilots and crew members. They all recalled a rather dark green color in the cockpit and manned spaces. This could be, unless North American had their own "Pine Green" aka. North American Green in one publication, Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green. This green color was used by North American Inglewood on all of their a/c until stocks ran out sometime in 1944, only then being replaced by Interior Green. On Kansas City- and Dallas-built a/c, Interior Green was used from the start.

Interior Green did not emerge as an approved and designated color until very late 1942, with stocks of the color reaching the a/c manufacturers in the spring of 1943. Stocks of any earlier interior finish were used up before the new color came into use.

Stein

Thanks--this all helps. I plan on using bronze green for most of the visible/crew spaces with an unpainted bomb bay and wheel wells.

Cheers,

Tim W.
  • A340 Pilot likes this

#9 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Tim
Here is a link to the IPMS Stockholm site for Interior calls for all major USAAF and USN aircraft in WWII. Ready good info
http://www.ipmsstock..._colours_us.htm

Peter
  • A340 Pilot likes this

e10360dc-ddd9-437a-8ae5-54daabbed0f4_zps

Sufa Photo found on line.

On the Bench

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

Tamiya P-51D Duchess Arlene, Tamiya P-51D Mustang Old Crow

Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt "The Farmingdale Jug",   Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc  George "Buzz" Beurling, Canadian Leading Ace

Trumpeter F8F-1 Bearcat, Tamiya P-51D Mustang... Big Beautiful Doll

#10 Guest_TimC_*

Guest_TimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

This green color was used by North American Inglewood on all of their a/c until stocks ran out sometime in 1944, only then being replaced by Interior Green. On Kansas City- and Dallas-built a/c, Interior Green was used from the start.

North American P-51B's, C's, D's and their derivatives used interior green in the cockpit from the start in 1943. No Pine Green/Dull Dark Green/Bronze Green color (seat being the exception) was ever used in the cockpits of the Merlin engined Mustangs and it's entirely plausible that it was not used in the early Allison engined Mustangs either.

Edited by TimC, 13 August 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#11 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Tim
Here is a link to the IPMS Stockholm site for Interior calls for all major USAAF and USN aircraft in WWII. Ready good info
http://www.ipmsstock..._colours_us.htm

Peter

Peter--

Many thanks--I had that one bookmarked and agree that it is very helpful, particularly in helping me match things up to Model Master (what I tend to use the most, apart from Humbrol).

Cheers,

Tim W.

#12 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Tim
I've been quickly coming back to enamels from the land of 'grainy' acrylics. I did find the documentation very useful and it helped answered a lot of questions for me. Of course, there are quite a few notations, that as the war progressed, factories used what was on hand or what they could find and modified the accordingly.
Glad I was able to help out.
Peter

e10360dc-ddd9-437a-8ae5-54daabbed0f4_zps

Sufa Photo found on line.

On the Bench

Academy F-16I Sufa

Airborne:

Tamiya P-51D Duchess Arlene, Tamiya P-51D Mustang Old Crow

Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt "The Farmingdale Jug",   Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc  George "Buzz" Beurling, Canadian Leading Ace

Trumpeter F8F-1 Bearcat, Tamiya P-51D Mustang... Big Beautiful Doll

#13 Youngtiger1

Youngtiger1

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

I found this book on ebay and alI I can say is....wow....

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_500wt_1157

http://www.ebay.com/...6#ht_500wt_1157

Mike Bhangu

Completed project: Trumpeter A-10A http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32954&hl=youngtiger1

WIP: Fisher RB-51 Unlimited Reno Racer http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=40066

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit". (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

#14 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I found this book on ebay and alI I can say is....wow....

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_500wt_1157

http://www.ebay.com/...6#ht_500wt_1157

Very nice...but a bit out of my price range at present, unfortunately!

Tim W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users