P51 D cockpit colors

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Ta152H1_*

Guest_Ta152H1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

If you're referring to the aftercooler for the fuel/air mixture (dual oil/fuel-air-mixture cooler), then it would probably be natural metal before and after the aftercooler radiator.

Yes Tim...I'm referring to the aftercooler.Do you mean that the interior of the fuselage in that area was NM?

#17 Guest_TimC_*

Guest_TimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

According to the E&R Manual (AN01-60JE-2, p. 406), the appropriate finish color coats for the pilot's compartment are as follows:

Metal floor areas: No finish coat required.
Wood floor areas: See Notes NOTES: One coat of SPEC NA2-1301 Non skid surfacer
Pilot's Seat: Dull Dark Green
Control Handles: Corrosion resistant, Cadmium or Zinc plated require no finish coat except for knobs finished in accordance with the applicable drawing
All other areas, STA 101 to STA 184: Interior Green NOTE: Areas not normally visible require no finish coat.

FYI: STA 101 is just about the forward end of the windscreen and STA 184 is just about the aft end of the sliding canopy (canopy closed).

Now, having posted that, it should not be construed to say that every P-51D you will ever see has been maintained to the manual. There may indeed be differences and if evidence surfaces that provides for other alternatives, then you have another option. Of course, it's your model, you can paint it day-glo pink if you should choose to. It won't be prototypically/historically correct but it's your model.

Edited by TimC, 20 July 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#18 Guest_TimC_*

Guest_TimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yes Tim...I'm referring to the aftercooler.Do you mean that the interior of the fuselage in that area was NM?

Yep, Natural Metal. The E&R manual states that areas not accessible such as the inside of the scoop (under the fuselage) can remain unpainted.

Posted Image

This is a shot of production P-51B fueslage halves...notice the natural metal behind the cockpit. The P-51D would be very similar.

REF: O'Leary, Michael. (2010). Building the P-51 Mustang, The Story of Manufacturing North American's Legendary WWII Fighter in Original Photos. Specialty Press. MN. p.112

Edited by TimC, 20 July 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#19 Guest_Ta152H1_*

Guest_Ta152H1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Thank you very much Tim!
Cheers
Lou

#20 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

RCAF in the mid 50's painted their Mustangs to the "new" standard of interior black.
That IS documented, but I assume everyone here is building WW2 stuff so nobody probably cares other than me...

My Tamiya red tail mustang will be standard USAAF colors of course. It'll be the first 1940's Mustang I've built. All others have been mid 50's and later F-51's.
Completed: WnW Junkers J.l. WnW Pfalz D.Xll, Albatros D.V, Tamiya Zero, Tamiya P-51 City of WinnipegCompleted last 6 months: WnW Re.8, Eduard 109E, Tamiya Spitfire, Junkers J.1, Albatros D.VOn the bench: WnW Albie D.V,In Que: 2 more Albatros D.V and one D.Va, DH.9a, LVG, Rumpler, Pfalz D.lll, FE.2b, DH.2, Brisfit, Hannover, Tripe, Pup, W.29, and the Eindekker that came with the DH.2.Roden Fokker Triplane, Roden Nieuport 27. Encore Albatros D.ll and Encore Fokker Triplane Voss prototype.Then, maybe soon, one of the Silver Wings kits in the closet: Gladiator, Hart, or Focke Wulf trainer.I'm hooked on WWl and ragwing stuff.Jets and WWll stuff are back in the stash.On hold, partially built: RoG Ju.88, WnW Gotha G.lV, Kittyhawk T-6G<p>

output_EfpzVh_zps33d09002.gif

#21 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

According to the E&R Manual (AN01-60JE-2, p. 406), the appropriate finish color coats for the pilot's compartment are as follows:

Metal floor areas: No finish coat required.
Wood floor areas: See Notes NOTES: One coat of SPEC NA2-1301 Non skid surfacer
Pilot's Seat: Dull Dark Green
Control Handles: Corrosion resistant, Cadmium or Zinc plated require no finish coat except for knobs finished in accordance with the applicable drawing
All other areas, STA 101 to STA 184: Interior Green NOTE: Areas not normally visible require no finish coat.

FYI: STA 101 is just about the forward end of the windscreen and STA 184 is just about the aft end of the sliding canopy (canopy closed).

My approximation of STA 101 and 184....

Posted Image

And my stab at fabbing a Warren-McArthur seat then painted DDG aka FS34092 (for an approximate match, from what I have read)

Posted Image

#22 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Small adjustment to my build that had the wrong (interior green) floor. :P

Posted Image

JOHN

Dirty Gerty from Bizerte stuck a mouse trap up here skirty. Made the boys fingers hurty.

#23 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hmmmmm.....
Completed: WnW Junkers J.l. WnW Pfalz D.Xll, Albatros D.V, Tamiya Zero, Tamiya P-51 City of WinnipegCompleted last 6 months: WnW Re.8, Eduard 109E, Tamiya Spitfire, Junkers J.1, Albatros D.VOn the bench: WnW Albie D.V,In Que: 2 more Albatros D.V and one D.Va, DH.9a, LVG, Rumpler, Pfalz D.lll, FE.2b, DH.2, Brisfit, Hannover, Tripe, Pup, W.29, and the Eindekker that came with the DH.2.Roden Fokker Triplane, Roden Nieuport 27. Encore Albatros D.ll and Encore Fokker Triplane Voss prototype.Then, maybe soon, one of the Silver Wings kits in the closet: Gladiator, Hart, or Focke Wulf trainer.I'm hooked on WWl and ragwing stuff.Jets and WWll stuff are back in the stash.On hold, partially built: RoG Ju.88, WnW Gotha G.lV, Kittyhawk T-6G<p>

output_EfpzVh_zps33d09002.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users