• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

Ok, so, if any of you had followed my builds since Oct, then ya gotta know this was coming.....

So, I am kinda stalled out on my 1/24 Mustang, researching belly scoop stuff and beginning to tinker around with paints and painting techniques for its NMF and silver wings.

My weakness for having 4 or 5 builds going on at the same time has officially taken over me. This is what I have come up with....sorta....

My proverbial Revell Mustang, but this one happens to be in the "Smithsonian" packaging.
Posted Image

And having spent the early evening drawing up some generic profiles so I can play with some fictional "night fighter" paint schemes, I have come up with 3 ideas...well technically 2, as the one on the left just didnt come out as I had envisioned in my mind. But the other two, are basically modified actual squadron markings/colors that I thought couldve been probable, to turn them into night fighters. I think I will choose to make the aircraft code a number instead of a letter on this build. As of right now I am undecided on which paint scheme to use, so that will TBD...
Posted Image

The distinctive scheme of the 343rd Fighter Squadron/55 Fighter Group, was retained but the lower portion of the Mustang would be flat black.

And the sketch below that wouldve been assigned to the 334th Fighter Squadron/4th Fighter Group, and had D-Day stripes, which is sort of contradicting, but I thought it looked better than all black.

So I guess shortly I will have a decision to make....

This will obviously be OOB, except for paint and decals, and I will "fix" up the belly scoop area with a scratched radiator and scoop exhaust door...

Edited by xmh53wrench, 17 July 2012 - 06:09 AM.

• MARU5137 likes this

#2 D Bellis

D Bellis

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Cool project!

There's always this scheme (P-51D converted to a 2-seater and fitted with German radar):
Posted Image

D

You can lead a person to information, but you can't make them think.

"Emotion is the enemy of reason." - Immanuel Kant

#3 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

^^^^Too cool.....WOW look at that poor canopy^^^^

Well a bit done, this is the first "D" model I have messed with from Revell, all the others have been "B/C".....some new horribly obvious inaccuracies.....

WOW, major gap....
Posted Image

And before and after of the seat....
Posted Image

Also assembled the engine, and doing some plotting and planning, as now I am also scratching the aft cockpit floor, internal fuel tank, and radio/battery rack.

#4 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hanging it up for tonight....

Did a bit more work on the IP to fill the gap under the glare shield.
I also opened up the ejection ports under the wings (I think I will just back them up with cardstock to fill them and give some dimension to the holes. I rescribed the gun/ammo access panels then sanded the rest of the wings with the exception of the flaps, ailerons, and fuel tank access panel.

Wing tops before and after...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also I am leaning towards the all black with D-Day striped paint scheme..

#5 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,075 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Looks good to ME...great work so far...worth the wait. :goodjob:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#6 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks MARU5137!!!

This evenings work..... :D
Posted Image

#7 A.Wolf Grant

A.Wolf Grant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Here we go again ... speedibuild.com master class.
Looking really good so far .. I know you were debating which colour scheme to do but are you going to do the two seater shown above? With your scratch building skills it would be "right up your strasse"

Grant

Edited by Obant, 17 July 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Grant

LSP_arrowwolf_468x60.gif

Facebook: https://www.facebook...wolfscalemodels: twitter: @Arrowwolfmodels

++ LSP Members receive a 10% Discount on purchases over £50! PM me for the Code ++ Overseas customers have the Sales Tax returned where the delivery address is outside the EU ++Free Shipping with the UK / EU on orders over £100 ++

#8 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Well, I was ambitious today (actually this evening {isnt vacation great!}) and did some work on this as well. Added a bit of cardstock to the sidewalls, as well as painting them and detailing them. Also painted and dry brushed my modified IP. This plane will probably be displayed in flight, so no seat belts at this point.

Posted Image

And I have decided on the all black scheme with the D-Day stripes, and neg on the second seat, this Mustang is strictly business. That seat is the seat out of another Revell P-51D, and what mine started out as....yes they (Revell) share all the parts with the P-51B model except for the fuselage, windscreen, canopy, and wings (though the only change to the wings is 6 gun barrels, and they have the B shaped forward root).... :mental:

......Oh well, I still love these kits...
  • MARU5137 likes this

#9 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,075 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

It is looking marvelous .coming along quite nicely.

Keep up this good work.

Good job

:)

Res Non Verba .

#10 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sure reflects the kits of it's day. Nice work on the seat and cleaning up the wings. :thumbsup:
Peter

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

#11 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,075 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hello xmh53wrench,

Have you done any more. I know you have many works on the go but just wondered how this was going,

Bye for now.

:)

Edited by MARU5137, 19 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Res Non Verba .

#12 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,075 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Any updates Louie..?

Res Non Verba .

#13 xmh53wrench

xmh53wrench

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well aside from being on the backburner for a bit, due to my 1/24 builds, I do have a bit of news.

Due to the nature of Revell's "D" model kit I changed a bit of direction with the build and paint of this kit.  One of the kits huge inaccuracies is the presence of a "B" model wing and clam shell landing gear doors.  So with that in mind I will be painting this up to represent 43-12102, the bubble canopy prototype Mustang.  Since it was pulled from the "B" model assembly line, it still had that model's wing and sans-fillet vertical stabilizer.  I am also under the impression it didnt have a fuselage fuel tank and the guns were removed and barrel and ejection ports sheeted over, so I will make mine to show that.  Because of that I have pulled a set of wings from another "D" Revellstang that I have, so that kit will have the wing I had already modded as seen earlier.

Here is a pic of "102", and my kit sits on my shelf right in front of me just waiting for a spare few minutes to do a little something on it....hmmm, maybe this weekend....

noram-p51bx.jpg

Contemplating taking a shot at reshaping that ubber-round engine cowling.....maybe

Thanks for checking in MARU5137!

• MARU5137 likes this

#14 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,075 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hey Louie, Thank you for the updates.. Yep ..I know you have to many projects running so thanks for your time in updating.. See ya later..

Res Non Verba .

#15 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Lou

Amazing progress, I have a hard tine keeping one project going. Talk about multi tasking! ;)

Keep 'em coming

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users