He-111P-1

scvrobeson

Hey everybody! After getting back from the Silicon Valley Kick-Off Classic last weekend and seeing one of these monsters built, I knew I had to get a start on my Revell He-111. I had already acquired the Eduard Interior and Seatbelt set, the Mastercaster wheels, and the AIMS decals. I think I will still add the Quickboost exhaust and the Eduard mask set, but haven't gotten those yet.

141744-500x337.jpeg

He-111P-1001.jpg

He-111P-1007.jpg

He-111P-1004.jpg

He-111P-1002.jpg

He-111P-1006.jpg

He-111P-1005.jpg

Doing one of these two decal options, I'm really leaning to doing the night bomber, or the buffalo one. Decisions, decisions.

Just showing you all what's going into this build. I'm using Guttorm's reference thread to help out with the cockpit and interior, instead of reference books. :speak_cool:

I'l get to progress pics in a moment, as of now, the cockpit is put together and painted. Really moving along well with the Eduard PE and Revell plastic bits. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading in everybody. I hope you all enjoy this build, I'll try and keep it going pretty quickly.

Thanks guys. All comments and critiques are welcomed.

Matt :party0023:

Hey guys. Here are the progress pics I promised. I've been working on this one the last few days, and have the cockpit ready to install, minus the seats.

It was all base-coated in Tamiya XF-63, then XF-54 Dark Sea Grey was highlighted, then XF-69 was sprayed into the shadows, and mottled on to give it a worn look. Then some light grey oil paint was dry-brushed on, and the rest of the colors were picked out with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. Then it was all Future coated, the Airscale placards were applied, and a black wash was put on. Now it's all flat coated, been re dry-brushed, and is ready to install. The Airscale placards I think really add another level of detail and realism to the cockpit, and Guttom's photos were such a huge help in putting this one together. Thanks again man for helping Revell and all of us.

He-111P-1018.jpg

He-111P-1019.jpg

The levers are all from Revell, didn't like the Eduard ones, they were the wrong colors and way too flat to look good.

He-111P-1020.jpg

Had to re-paint the third lever red, just like it should have been. Eduard had it yellow for some odd reason.

He-111P-1021.jpg

Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey for the compass repeater, just looked like a good light grey that matched the reference photos.

He-111P-1023.jpg

The chain assembly is all Eduard photo-etch. I think it looks really cool in there.

He-111P-1022.jpg

He-111P-1024.jpg

The radios were all hand-painted, just because I didn't like the color matching of the Eduard stuff. Plus, now it leaves the photo-etch for adding all of the extra radio equipment Revell missed in the mid-fuselage.

Well, I hope you guys like how this is going. Next step is to paint the mid-fuselage, and get to work in there with the PE and scratch-building, to try and make it look as close to the reference as I can.

Thanks for reading in everybody. Hope you're all enjoying the start to this one, hope I don't screw it up. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. Will either update tomorrow morning or afternoon, before I leave for a week on Spring Break. Heading to Virginia to visit a friend in the Navy.

Matt

This'll be one to watch. The Eduard inst' panels and radios look good.

I like the look of the night flying scheme...

Matt

Thanks Matt! I'm glad you think it will look good. The Eduard PE does look good, but the color is a little suspect compared to RLM 66.

I like the look of night flying scheme too, will be fun to try and weather the black undersides. Never really tried that before.

Thanks for reading in man! Hope to not disappoint!

Oh! definitely bookmarked - I so want one of these after I saw a built one recently. But perhaps when I get more experience although I can tell I can learn loads with your build.

Looking forward to watching this unfold.

Grant

Oh! definitely bookmarked - I so want one of these after I saw a built one recently. But perhaps when I get more experience although I can tell I can learn loads with your build.

Looking forward to watching this unfold.

Grant

Thanks Grant! I hope that I can help out. It really is a great kit. Mine has a slight warp in the fuselage, but that might just be a one-off mistake. All you have to do is follow the instructions, which are pretty intuitive, and it should go together fine.

Thanks for reading in, I hope that you enjoy the bulid.

Matt

I am going to enjoy this build which has Me hooked. :thumbsup:

Good work so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks Maru! I'm glad that you like it. The kit is really nice, a bit softer than the Ju-88, but still pretty nice for the money!

Thanks for reading in, I hope that everyone enjoys the build. I'm having fun with it so far. :thumbsup:

Looks excellent. :speak_cool:

Thanks Bill! I really liked your Arado-196 build, these new Revell kits really are nice, huh? :speak_cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading in. Probably won't get any progress on here for the next 10 days or so, I'll be on the other side of the country from my model desk. But I'll be back soon.

Thanks Bill! I really liked your Arado-196 build, these new Revell kits really are nice, huh? :speak_cool: :thumbsup:

Matt, thanks, the admiration is mutual. I think Revell has struck a nice balance between value-for-money and accuracy. If you want more detailing, you can add it, but the kits don't suffer from the oversimplification I've found in, say, Hasegawa (whose kits are sometimes up to 2x the price). One man's opinion, as I know some here revere Hasies.

Matt, thanks, the admiration is mutual. I think Revell has struck a nice balance between value-for-money and accuracy. If you want more detailing, you can add it, but the kits don't suffer from the oversimplification I've found in, say, Hasegawa (whose kits are sometimes up to 2x the price). One man's opinion, as I know some here revere Hasies.

Thanks Bill. I agree with you completely. The Revell kits seem to be really hitting it out of the park, even starting back with their He-162, then the Ju-88, Ar-196, Hawk, and now this. I can't wait to see what they can pump out with the He-219 coming out. The price was a bit high when the Heinkel first came out, but it's getting pretty cheap now, especially with the Pro-Modeller boxing retailing around $65.

I wish the radios and guns were a bit better in the He-111, but I understand their reasons for it, since the radios will be buried in the fuselage, and the guns are an easy replacement, and would be really hard to do sharply in scale.

Thanks for reading in. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Matt, your cockpit is really turning out to be a gorgeous piece of work. Very nice

Ron

Wow, thank you Ron. That is a great compliment. I'm trying to pour as much effort as I can into the cockpit, with that huge, sparkling greenhouse, it has to look good in there. Hopefully I won't mess it up in the ensuing steps, I'm trying to plan a way to protect the front without putting all of the glass on yet....

Thanks for reading in. I'll be back at this next week, once I'm home from visiting my best friend in Virginia

Looking good!will be watching this for sure! :speak_cool:

Thanks a lot! It's so good to know that people are enjoying this build. This really is a nice kit, but it's huge. Displaying this one will take some creative thinking when the time comes.

Thanks for reading in, and for the really great comments. :speak_cool: