TAMYIA P-51D MUSTANG
I have to admit I discovered Iím a great starter and horrible finisher these days. Needless to say, itís not an envious record and nothing to be proud of. Looking back, I reasoned the problem lay in biting off way much, way too soon, after returning to the hobby from 30a year hiatus. I needed a project, built mostly OOB, and fight the temptation of getting lost in the world of AM accessories. My goal, complete the group build to the best of my abilities. What better kit then the awesome Tamiya P-51D Mustang.
My Two Golden Rules:
Rule One: Build what is in the box. Rule Two: Follow Rule One
Rules I can live with.
As soon as I saw Eagle Cal was releasing decals for Big Beautiful Doll, I was hooked and knew where I wanted to go.
Step one would be the front office and the only add-on would be using RB Productions American WWII Seat Belt Set and Barracudaís Decal cockpit Stencils and Placards . A few questions needed to be answered as to the variant that best represented BBD as offered in the kit and after posting, I decided to follow Ronís advice and Thierry listed the easy changes that would be done, to get my ĎStang close. I also had questions on cockpit colors, especially the floor and Jerry jumped right to the rescue. Thankís guys!
Progress on the front office has been slow as there is a lot of assembly and detail painting needing to be done. Not wanting to get lost on detailing and following rule 1, I kept to the kit, or at least I tried to. Using Jerryís cockpit as a guide, I added a few extra details that would easily been seen, but nothing more.
So here we go ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..
First up is the center cockpit: floor boards, seats assembly, instrument panel, the radio, battery and fuel cells behind the armor plating. Built mainly as per the kit instructions with a few small details added: fuel line and electric lines from the battery, to fill up a very visible area. I used Jerry Rutmanís cockpit as my basic painting guide and followed my normal weathering procedure: Used but not Abused.
All paints are Model Master Acrylics and all washes are Windsor & Newton Lamp Black and or Burnt Umber oils. Dry brushing was done with Apple Barrel Acrylics.
Itís hard to believe how many hours went into this small area but Tamiya provided a wonderful front office with tons of details. Interior Green was hand mixed and is a bit lighter until the washes went on.
My Barracuda Cockpit stencils and placards should arrive on Friday or Saturday and Iíll add them to complete the assembly. Next up; both cockpit sidewalls.
Edited by Peterpools, 03 February 2012 - 12:19 AM.