Tamiya 1/32 F15C and F15E

phantom

Would the nose section of the F15C fit onto the body of the F15E? I am planning on doing a F15C for the 57FIS with the conformal gas tanks.

Thanks for the help and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Mike

The CFT's on the 57th F-15C's are nothing like those fitted to the F-15E so just switching the noses around won't produce a reasonable replica of that aircraft. Google the two aircraft and look at the differences. Notwithstanding the errors/omissions Tamiya molded into the F-15C from their earlier E model, the wheels, struts, main gear doors, vulcan cannon magazine bulge (not present on F-15C's) all have to be changed to get to a reasonable F-15C of any block.

Edited by TimC

Actually the wheels are different between the E & C kits. The E kits have the proper slip-ring flanged wheels, while the C kit has the proper "tie-bolt" main wheels. The main problen is that they have the same tire for both, which itself is closer (but not quite wide enough) to the wider E model wheel/tire assembly, but too wide for the smiller F-15A-D main tire. I do believe they share the same nose well and tire though; which is closer to the C/D nose wheel as opposed to the wider E nose wheel assy.

The Mudhen had a different nose wheel as well, but Viper Enforcer is right about the main wheels.

Actually Viper said the Mudhen had a wider nosewheel than the C, but that the two kits shared the same nosewheel.

I made the combination going the other way. I used the nose of the E on a C fuselage. Its no problem to make main gear doors and you can get a nose gear strut from a SAC set for the Revell kit. I make some replacement tires so you would have thin tires. Seirra Hotel models is doing a set soon.

Bruce

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=35161

Would the nose section of the F15C fit onto the body of the F15E? I am planning on doing a F15C for the 57FIS with the conformal gas tanks.

Thanks for the help and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Mike

I had worked on F-15A,B,C,D,E,I,J and S models as Crew Chief, Engine Mechanic and Hydraulic Mechanic,Flight Control and Crash Recovery over my 20 year career in the USAF.

I and S models as enroute maintenance as they were delivered to the customer and the J when I was on exchange with the JASDF.

I have also had the pleasure(?) of working on Su-27s, Mig-29s, F-4Fs, F-4Es, Mirage 2000, Etendards, F-1s, Tornados, Alpha Jets, etc......

I have flown C-152s, C-150s, C-172s, Piper Cherokees, T tailed Lance, Lear Jet, Martin 404s, DC-3s, King Air, Queen Air, DH-6, Dash 7.

Enough about me and on with the list.

Here is the list you requested. Some of it might be hard to fix or change, some might be nit picky, but all is helpful when discussing the differances between the differant model F-15s. Remeber the Mudhen was a completly differnat animal from the C and more so from the A, not just the seating arrangments.

1)Radome on the E does not have the Urethane boot on the tip (glossy portion

on the C model)

2)ICS Antennas from the C, in between the blade Ant and aft of nose gear

aft door on the underside of the nose replaced with flush mounted Ant.

3)HUD combining glass and fwd cockpit instrumentation and CRT differences

from C to E.

4) the E Canopy framing has ECS ducting installed due too the increased

need for more cooling air for the backseater and avionics.

5)Wing root anti-collision lights are smaller and set closer to the wing

root on the E then the C.

6)Speedbrake is beefed-u[p and has a small indentation on the aft leading

edge for a handhold for manual raising of the speedbrake, also there should

be no well for the speedbrake as on the real aircraft it lays flush on the

skin of the airframe on all F-15's.

7) Just aft of the speedbrake there are 6 screens (three par side of the

rectangular panel on the center line) this is the JFS (Jet Fuel Starter/

APU) chimney on the E, on the C there is one screen offset to the left for

the JFS chimney, the panel in the middle is for additional avionics on the

E.

8) The engine humps have additional doors to facilitate engine maintenance

on the E as the C only has one for the engine forward mount and two for the

aft mounts.

9) Rudders have an additional beef-up for the center hinge point on the E,

this was being done to the C but through attrition.

10) A logo lite was installed at the base of the Vertical stab on the E not

on the C.

11) the E model horizontal stab has a reinforcing strip ( sealant) raised

line running along the leading edge dogtooth fairing mount, C models do not

have this.

12) Stinger Ant or what we called nipples are of a different configuration

from the C model to the E, references should be checked for the specific

aircraft to be modeled.

13) All E models came from the factory with panel 128 removed, depending on

time frame the A/C models these were not removed till 1991 after a mod was

done.

Nose to tail on the belly of the aircraft

14) Gun door has a bulge on the E referred to as the ext clip door, this was

were we put our forms for the aircraft also access to the gundrum which the

interior was modified from the D to E in having more avionics stuffed up

inside of there as well.

15) Main forward Gear doors are bulged on the E for the beefed-up landing

gear and increased height and width of the E model tires.

16) JFS exhaust no longer has the louver just a hollow pipe (aft of

centerline pylon on the centerline of the aircraft) on the E model, C models

were all modified with new JFS exhaust by 1994.

17) Engine bay panels modified so they could be drooped for engine

maintenance without dropping the CFTs, the CFT's covered some of the engine

bay panels on the C and we had to drop the CFT's anytime we had Engine

maintenance.

18) there are two Engine Oil servicing doors on the forward engine bay panel

on the E, one inboard and one outboard, the C had one.

19) Tail hook was extended down 2" from the bottom of the fuselage on the E

to give more room for more avionics, the C models was flush to the fuselage.

20) Stab actuator panels reconfigured so limited stab maintenance could be

done with CFT's installed including a small access panel for doing flight

control trimming was installed, C model had unmodified panel as CFT's were

hardly ever installed.

And of course more to add.

1)Nose and mains truts are beefed up, thinker then the A/C struts.

2)Draglinks on both nose and mains are thicker with the drag springs larger

in circumference(round spring looking things at hinge point on drag link

used to help strut retract)

3) The bungee on the C model strut replaced with a rigid link on the E

(thing that comes down and attaches to the draglink from the trunnion on the

mains) this is what makes the strut rotate into the wheelwell when

retracting.

4) Wheels (rims) on the E have a spacer on the mains for height and

different internal for width, different rim overall.

5) The nose strut has a shimmer damper installed on the front to keep the

heavily laden E model nose tire from oscillating on hi-speed taxies or

take-off and landing (looks like a thick tube coming out of the strut).

6) The oleo is square I frame on the E in comparison to the rounded oleo on

the C.

7) Nose tire is thicker on the E then the C.

There are numerous other changes not noticeable on a model of 1/48 or 1/32,

but you get the point.

This is a pretty basic list but gives you some idea as to some of the

changes to the Emodel, there are more panel differences but I would be

typing all day with panel lists in front of me. I also have a list on the 1/32 Tamiya F-15Cdiscrepencies if interested.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again, either!

Tweak list for the Tamiya C model 1/32

Tamiya C modeldiscrepancies

1) Forward Door onengine hump is not on a C model, C model only has one door for the Engineforward mount.

2) JFS Chimneyvents aft of the speedbrake, E model has 6 (3 per side) split on the centerlineby additional avionics carried by the E model (panel in the centerline is werethis avionics goes). C models only have one vent, which is offset of thecenterline, and the panel is not present.

3) Fuel dump notpresent on panel 113l/r and oil cooler vent not present on panel 95 l/r.

4) Saber Drains onpanel 117l/r removed off all F-15’s due to their redundancy (would of saved mea nasty scar on my back if they had done this earlier)

5) Airframe patcheson side of the intakes is not present on all aircraft, probably just the 78model they used at Kadena.

6) AMAD bay coolingscoops (access panel aft of main gear well) was repositioned to inboard side ofpanel when the chafe/flare mods were installed on the aircraft (MISIP) toprevent the chafe from clogging the vent a causing an overheat condition.

7) Left engine bayaccess door should only have two latches on the trailing edge, kit has four,two extra’s on the leading edge of the door.

8) Ribbing? On theforward LAU-106 fuselage stations access doors should not be there.

9) Panel linesaround the pitot probes should not be there ( this is from dirt on the pitotcovers).

10) Under the leftcanopy hinge point is Panel 12, this should not have a beef-up patch, probablyon the aircraft Tamiya used.

11) Beef-up on therudder center hinge point should not be there or as pronounced as they have onthe kit.

12) LVS bulletshould be longer and larger in diameter then is in the kit.

13) Wing-rootanti-collision lights should be larger and a bit more outboard, the ones in thekit are from the E model kit and reflect the E model.

14) C modelHorizontal stabs do not have the reinforcement strips as on the E model’s ,plus the hinge point just does not look correct, seems a little beefed-up thereas well.

15) Struts providedare E model struts, most noticeable would be the oleo on the E which is squareand the C which is round. Thus the wheels are E model though not as noticeablewith the nose tire and wheel.

16) Main gear dragbrace hinge springs are the larger type found on the E model although the strutdiameter is larger then a C model strut not as noticeable on the model. Themain wheels and tire are the E models as well.

17) Engine compressorface is from an E model with a –229 installed.

18) There should beno Circuit Breaker panels on the wall of the fuselage section in Bay 5 (leftover from using the E model forward fuselage barrel), Both wall need to bescrapped and sanded smooth and ribbing added in its place..

19) Screw post holeon the floor in bay 5 should be eliminated and smoothed over with a new wiringconduit in its place.

20) The Augmentornozzles (Divergent seals should be 21” ) as pointed out by Bruce Radebaugh,

21) The Tailstinger antennae (“nipples”) are of the wrong shape, but different antennaswere installed on different aircraft at one time or another so check reverenceson this one.

22) They even gotthe chalk ropes incorrect, they should be laced, one rope per chalk and lacedinto the other in a slot cut into one end. The way they show you is for EOR(End of Runway or Quick check)

23) There are somemore dealing with panel set up but would take allot more time for that.