Bedford 6 Pdr AT Gun

TaffyMan

Hi after the Russian GB I fancied doing something a bit different. So inspired by the great Arty bits Jerry has been doing. I thought I would try one myself. Don’t think I will get anywhere near the quality work that Jerry has done but I will try and push myself and have some fun.

So enough of all that! This is the bits I will be trying to bend to my will.

001-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

The Bedford model was a barging from Hobbycraft the other bits including the Eduard PE where from Hannets.

This should be interesting to see what it will turn out like – first bit of PE work and apart from slapping some plaster of paris and paint on to hardboard I have never attempted a Diorama.

So that’s it for now am being dragged away this weekend to do Santa bits :rolleyes: so not sure when I will start but this is going to be a longer project that I can dip in and out of.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Looking forward to this one :)

Thanks for looking Tony - No pressure then lets hope I can deliver it :unsure: Struggling to find some nice reference so might have make it up!

I had the Bedford QL when it was an Airfix release, donkey's years ago. From what I recall though it was pretty good.

It'll be quite nostalgic seeing it built.

Matt

Hi Matt I didn't know this was an Airfix kit first - Yep the molding is pretty good and I hope with some PE and other bits should bring out more detail. Just need to find some time to get this one on the way

Taff :D

To be honest I don't think it was Airfix first.

They came out all around the same time with this, the Dodge command car, Dodge lorry with AT gun on back, Chevrolet quad truck, White Scout car as well. I suspect their origin was Far Eastern....But like you say, still nice by today's standards.

Matt

Looks very cool, Taff!

Here at least you don't need to worry about overdoing your weathering, LOL!

I'll be following with interest :popcorn:

ps. I hope you don't mind if I answer your questions here instead of the Spitfire thread ;)

M24 is on hold for now, this is rather long term project which I'll be coming back to whenever I feel I need a break from building airplanes. The holiday season slowed me down a bit (I'm a slow builder anyway) - that's the main reason of recent lack of updates ;)

Taffyman

The model on the box art looks quite intricate and detailed..Gonna be a great project to follow.. :clap2:

I look forward to seeing this..

Hi Maru5137 – Welcome. Yep there are lots of little bits in that box for my fat fingers to ping into the carpet monsters mouth. Uhm could be entertaining. :rolleyes:

Taff :D

Looks very cool, Taff!

Here at least you don't need to worry about overdoing your weathering, LOL!

I'll be following with interest :popcorn:

ps. I hope you don't mind if I answer your questions here instead of the Spitfire thread ;)

M24 is on hold for now, this is rather long term project which I'll be coming back to whenever I feel I need a break from building airplanes. The holiday season slowed me down a bit (I'm a slow builder anyway) - that's the main reason of recent lack of updates ;)

Hi Tomek - Yeah she is a very dirty girl…. :lol:

I will get my buckets of muck ready to throw at this one – more experimenting might try some oil paints on this one? We will see how it goes. Same for me this is a more long term thing to pick up when I need to. I’ll be patient with the tank then! I know the feeling - got some scowls tonight when the other half caught me sneaking a start on the radiator. :innocent:

Happy Days Taff :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Well back and suitably fatter from the Christmas excess! Oh no even fatter fingers to try and pick those little bits up with :rolleyes:

Ah well made a bit of a start on her over the holidays. First up were the chassis and the engine. Now I have had a chance to have a closer look at the kit parts and realise there is more work here than I hoped! Lots of extra plastic to clean up and so many pin marks to be filled. Sorry forgot to take any pictures of these bits under construction! Whilst these where drying I started on the toolboxes and petrol tanks. Okay my first go with bending and sticking PE stuff :o wow how fiddly is this stuff.

I first rubbed all the detail bits off and smoothed the surface with some fine wet and dry. Next I put some filler on the seams. After this was all dry and rubbed back came the battle with the metal bits. I backed the padlocks with a bit of thin plastic stock to give them a more 3D effect. Why if this isn’t fiddly enough but hey got to be done? :mental:

002-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

These then went of to the paint shop for a coat of Desert Sand. Next moved on to finishing the engine and radiator with some weathering. For practice I wired up the spark plugs – the engine will be hidden but I was using this for practice for when they wont. Also started a bit of the weathering of the chassis. Hope you like?

003-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

004-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

005-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I did lots of cleaning up on the other bits and gave them a spray of aluminium car primer. This is all a bit clean at the moment but I will be getting the buckets of muck out when all the support stays and suspension are on.

006-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

007-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Moved on to the cabin area next. First out with dremel to drill out the grill. I made lots of little drill just inside the line. This was then rubbed back to the line. The plastic in this kit seems to be very soft and doesn’t take much rubbing – good for something’s but can be a bit of PIA on surfaces as it marks very easily.

Okay I folded and put the cover for the radiator on the inside. This all then got a spray over with the primmer. After this had dried it was given a light wipe to smooth the paint this was given a gentle blow over of Sand colour on the inside and edges. Then I glued the grill and radiator front on plus the two light brackets.

008-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Because radiator front sits on top of the grill you end up with a gap along the edges. I have filled this with filler and rubbed it back smooth with a flat riffle file. Sorry no picks of this yet but will take some for the next update.

Hope you enjoyed a Happy Modelling Christmas and have a very good New Year to all!

Any comments suggestions always welcome – Happy Days Taff :D

That engine looks super Taff! Great work mate, really coming along now.

Kev

Cheers Mate Yep quite pleased with the engine shame that with the cab on you wont see any of it :rolleyes:

Looks promising so far, any more piccies?

Mike thanks for looking in just hold on a second I will put some more up! :frantic:

Here we go a bit more done over the weekend. Not as much as I hoped because I seem to spend ages filling sink and pin marks on this kit more I look the more I find.

So to some more interesting stuff – a madness possessed me to drill out the head light and drop a pin head in to it. I then stamped out a disc of clear. After a bit of silver paint I stuck the disc in with some Clearfix – all this to be covered with a slit cover? :mental: Also you can see where the gap behind the front Grill has been filled.

009-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I used a bit of thin aluminium tube and thin wire as the connector and mount. Then using my Crimbo present to myself, of the Waldron punch set, cut a disc of plastic – :speak_cool: – I know little things for little minds but I found this very rewarding, this helps holds the head light on. I used the blue tac to hold it steady as the glue set.

010-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Next up was to remove the moulded chain and replace it with a real chain. I did try to make a chain – then gave up and went to the jewellery section in HobbyCraft and brought one. Much easier!!! :rolleyes:

Before

011-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After

012-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Now looking at this all big on the screen I think I can do better so I think I will revisit this.

Okay a bit more photo etch bending – think I might splash out and buy one of them PE bending thingies – So till then back at it with the mini steel rule and scalpel these are the holders for the water cans that sit at the back of the flat bed.

013-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

With the cans the tops where rubbed off and replaced with a bit of plastic rod and the PE handles. These are sprayed white but have not been rubbed smooth yet – then some damage and weathering needed. The cages will need painting then once all the bits are done and in place I will glue the last bits in place.

Whilst all these bits where drying I started on the cabin. First up rub all the detail off. Then start putting it back with the PE bits. Still some more bits to add but I will paint this lot first.

014-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

This shows the under side of the back end with the other bits of PE stuck in place. The water can cage is not stuck yet, just I used it so I could line up the mud flaps support struts. You can see some of the sink divots and pin marks. Looking at these pictures – I will go back over some of them again!

015-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay any questions/comments welcome - Happy Days Taff :D

• 3 weeks later...