Revell HE 111 P-1

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all,

I've been away from modelling all Summer,since finishing my Phantom in the GB, due to the fact I've bought a 1944 Ford GPW (Jeep), which I'm restoring.

I heard this kit was on it's way, and was very keen to have a go, but thought I'd wait for some etch to appear. I won't be going crazy with super detailing this one, just OOB plus etch.

Here's the very comprehensive interior set from Eduard.

eduard.jpg

You'll notice I've used hardly any, but if you look at the improvement in the cockpit already, you'll see a big difference.

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Also note I've cut the doors out of the bulkheads, as eduard suggest. This gives a better view of the Bomb bay, and is apparently more accurate. I'm not sure if the open doors as depicted in the etch set are correct though??

Etchdoors.jpg

The one disadvantage to this kits interior is the multitude of massive and deep ejector pin marks. I've filled mine with plastic card and/or Mr Surfacer 500.

ejectorpinmarks.jpg

Thanks for looking

Guest Nigelr32

Just a little update....

cockpit2.jpg

The cockpit has had a coat of Alclad primer and a final coat of Gunze RLM66. There's still a lot of work to do on this one...

The ejector pin marks in the interior were a challenge!! Note the etch on the cockpit sidewalls.

interior.jpg

The Bomb bay arrived this morning, so I'm gonna get at least one side done straight away. I love working on large etch projects.

bombbay.jpg

bombbay2.jpg

I notice that one bomb compartment is divided into four sections?? Whats all this about??

These will look so much better than the kit offering, not forgetting they cost nearly as much as the whole kit!!!!

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Nigelr32

Yup - four cells each side with each bomb hung vertically...

Great start! :)

I was going to open the doors to the cockpit on mine - but as moulded the space between the kits bomb compartments looked too narrow (assume the thinner walls of the etch parts will help here).

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Guest Nigelr32

Yup - four cells each side with each bomb hung vertically...

Iain

Thyanks for the reply Iain,

What I meant was that each of the four cells is split into four, with one cell fully walled??

02.jpg

I pinched this pic off the eduard site, (I hope you dont mind Eduard). You can see what I mean. This would basically allow the bay to carry 32 small bombs rather than eight??

these are removable inserts on the He 111. so these are optionals.. if one put those in the cells do only carry 50kg bombs.. but they are removed on the original with one small hook and then the bomb bay is fully open and can do larger bombs

the open doors looks right..but they are also often ( very very often ) in combat removed from the aircraft as doors was just a mess that you did not want to deal witrh if the plane was shoot up..doors jammed and bailing out in combat so most crew had the doors in the Heinkel removed when they got them to their units from the factory ( this applies to most larg bombers in most countries during Ww2 including B-17 )

Guest Nigelr32

Over on Guttorms thread in LSP Discussion, I talked about the bulkhead being in the wrong place on the Revell kit.

Here's my mod.

Bulkhead.jpg

Notice the marks on the walls where the Eduard etch was installed. According to the etch set instructions, this is where they go, but those cartridge racks look mighty high there?? I was wondering how the gondola gunner would reach them?

over to Guttorm's thread, and sure enough, they sit on the small floor to the side of the Gondola.

Now, it's time to re-rib the interior...

glad to see that my pictures help :) did it solve your bomb bay issue ? if wanted i can even take a picture of the inserts so you see how they work and how they turn the large cell into four cells ( but i am not sure you will like it as it does not look like the part eduards has made to devide it .... so if i was you i would keep those out and have your bombay for 500kg bombs instead of 50 kg :)

:speak_cool:

Guest Nigelr32

glad to see that my pictures help :) did it solve your bomb bay issue ? if wanted i can even take a picture of the inserts so you see how they work and how they turn the large cell into four cells ( but i am not sure you will like it as it does not look like the part eduards has made to devide it .... so if i was you i would keep those out and have your bombay for 500kg bombs instead of 50 kg :)

:speak_cool:

Yes please Guttorm, post pictures galore!!

You are the best source of information out there for JU88 and HE111 pics!!

Guest Peterpools

Nige

Welcome back. How about some pics of your progress on the '44 jeep? would love to see them.

Great start on the 111. Really looking forward to a great OOB build plus the PE kit. I have to admit, that is one fantastic PE detail kit. :wicked: :wicked:

Peter

Guest Nigelr32

Hi Peter,

If you'd like to see the Jeep build here's a link. http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=187602

You'll see that I've had to do some real surgery on it!!

This kit has turned into a full on detail job now. Guttorm has posted some great detail pics, and i just cant help myself when it comes to correcting things :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Thanks William, the ejector pin marks took forever. Sanding them down in between all the rib detail was a nightmare, which was a waste of time as I am currently sanding all that detail off, in order to replace all the ribs.