• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#46 Royboy

Royboy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

We know manufacturers representatives of all descriptions DO definately lurk here!
Some have gone past lurking and have entered our domain quite openly, some have 'hidden' representatives who give feedback on our conversations.
Regardless, a lot of 'intelligence' flows from both LSP and the Britmodeler websites to those companies who are interested in the next 'hot' product.
The choice of subject is the relatively easy bit, when you invest in a project the only thing your then interested in are the numbers of sales once it's released onto the market!
When you propose your subject you must take into consideration that if you want a 'ba**s out' super kit with all of the 'bells and whistles' on it then your talking a lot of extra dollars!
Will there be enough of the audience out there willing to spend over $200 on a superkit of this nature?
Alternatively, a smaller modestly detailed kit might just match the investment numbers required for that particular manufacturer?
So, if you go ahead with this venture may I suggest that we also apply how much we would be willing to spend on our dream subject and your initial buy quantity.
This might help them all to assess a little better than just I would love to have.......?
Please stay away from 1/32 scale B52's, we know it ain't gonna happen, and it ruins any credibility of the poll/wishlist!!
Just my modest tuppence worth, I think it might be worth trialing for awhile anyway?
Happy wishing! :rolleyes:
Roy.

Don't just talk about it, build it! 

#47 nmayhew

nmayhew

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Ok I'll add my bit re my wish list...

These I would really prefer to be, for want of a btter description, 'Tamiya Spit standard' in terms of fit and detail, and I would be happy to pay the price accordingly.

Hurricane I
Spitfire I
Ju87 B Stuka
Fw190 (any mark)
Me109 (any mark E onwards - now don't all moan; you KNOW it would outsell anything else :) )
P-47
F4-U Corsair
Hellcat
Wildcat
Typhoon
Tempest

The above are pretty mainstream.

The next list, I would prefer to be 'Revell standard' eg their Ju88, Ar196; for me these 2 kits are the new value benchmark, replacing say the now ageing Hasegawa 109s, which are still very good of course.
Some of these I appreciate are not commercial, but I would still like to think that one day... :)

Do17
Do217 (the funkier variants please - J or N, I can't remember)
Ju88 A-4 etc
Ju88 G nightfighter (as long as Piotr does the antennae!!)
Me110 G (ditto above)
He219 (ditto above)
He177
Do19 flying boat
Wellington
Bolton Paul Defiant

There are quite a few German seaplanes and flying boats that I absolutely LOVE the look of, but I am not overly familiar with their names, designations etc, so I'll leave those off; but whoever thought a few years ago that the Ar196 would do so well?

As to whether polls on here actually DO anything, my honest guess would be probably not, but they are really good fun.

And since that is what this hobby is (supposed to be...) about, then as they say, it's all good!

Cheers,

Nick
(Who should be writing reviews but is sitting out in the sunshine with his chickens and the cows :) )

#48 Pete G.

Pete G.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

We know manufacturers representatives of all descriptions DO definately lurk here!
Some have gone past lurking and have entered our domain quite openly, some have 'hidden' representatives who give feedback on our conversations.
Regardless, a lot of 'intelligence' flows from both LSP and the Britmodeler websites to those companies who are interested in the next 'hot' product.
The choice of subject is the relatively easy bit, when you invest in a project the only thing your then interested in are the numbers of sales once it's released onto the market!
When you propose your subject you must take into consideration that if you want a 'ba**s out' super kit with all of the 'bells and whistles' on it then your talking a lot of extra dollars!
Will there be enough of the audience out there willing to spend over $200 on a superkit of this nature?
Alternatively, a smaller modestly detailed kit might just match the investment numbers required for that particular manufacturer?
So, if you go ahead with this venture may I suggest that we also apply how much we would be willing to spend on our dream subject and your initial buy quantity.
This might help them all to assess a little better than just I would love to have.......?
Please stay away from 1/32 scale B52's, we know it ain't gonna happen, and it ruins any credibility of the poll/wishlist!!
Just my modest tuppence worth, I think it might be worth trialing for awhile anyway?
Happy wishing! :rolleyes:
Roy.

Very good points Roy.

As for the poll(s), the risk of any poll is making too complicated for the person taking it to remain interested and that the data collected is useful/relevant to the manufacturer. It could be organized/narrowed in scope enough to be useful. I am a project manager for a major food company. As such, I do know a bit about the employment of statistics. It's amazing to me sometimes how decisions to undertake high-dollar projects can be made with data from very small market samples.

There are many reasons that these decisons are made with the limited data they are; The poll could have been poorly prepared or organized, but in today's day and age, the main reason they are limited is because well-prepared and executed polls are EXPENSIVE.

If the members of this forum want to put some horsepower influence behind their wish lists, an ongoing poll would be the best way to do so. If you voted for an aircraft, and also conveyed the price range you would pay for it, I guarantee you that manufacturer representative WILL read it, or obtain the data somehow in today's information age. (Make it, and they will come.)

To make it credible, it would probably have to allow only one vote per aircraft per IP address or something along those lines. That might prevent skewing of data by repeated voting by a few people. Also, after thinking about it more, it would probably be most usedful to a manufacturer to categorize the poll by the size/complexity of the aircraft from a manufacturing perspective. For example, single engine prop fighters, multi-engine prop fighters. I think the number of engines and aircraft type both have to be listed. Otherwise, things get a bit ambiguous. Case in point would be the single engine jet category. The F-16 is a single engine jet. The EE Lightning is multi-engine, but is probably on par with an F-16 for manufacturing complexity/cost.

The organization of the poll(s) would probably warrant further discussion, but number of engines, jet or prop and aircraft type would probably give the most bang for the buck. I'd venture to say that the manufacturers don't care about nationality or role in history like we do. Popularity, price, complexity/cost of manufacture are the key metrics.

I'd also caveat the price willing to pay. There is clearly a risk to this, but in the end I would probably include it to provide weight to the poll data. The risk is that someone might not be willing to pay enough for a kit to get a kit that gives them the quality/value they want or at the other end of the spectrum, as a hypothetical example, people would be willing to pay $1000 for a Tamiya Mustang. In the end, a manufacturer would probably do a trend analysis to sift out the outlying ridiculous prices and come up with something pretty practical and realistic.

Sorry for the rambling, but thought I'd try and get some traction around this polling idea per Ron's request.

Cheers!

Pete

Edited by Pete G., 11 June 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#49 DougN

DougN

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I think breaking up the "polls" by biplanes, props, and jets at a minimum makes sense. When voting the respondent can chose to vote for the subject at one of 4 price points to keep it simple ($50 to $75; $76 to $100; $101 to $150; $150+). The data can be displayed by the number of votes under each price point. Example:

Subject..........$50~$75..$76~$100..$101~$150..$151+
Fruitbat..............32.............48.............21.............2

(I wish we could use tables or insert tables!)

I can assure everyone that there are folks out there that are considering making a kit of X subject, but, as they don't have the resources of a big company, are hesitant to pay the big bucks to have molds cut etc. when they are unsure of how well it would sell (i.e. would they at least make their investment back). As I said in my initial post on this topic, this type of ongoing poll data, accessible from both the main page and within the forums, would certainly benefit the membership by getting us more kits (if they are viable) and making LSP the "sample" audience for kit manufacturers.

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN, 11 June 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#50 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,541 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Just for the heck of it I took everyone's wish lists and compiled a list and quickly eliminated duplicates (I may have missed some). 143 choices so far.

Aermacchi MB339
Aichi D3A Val
Arado AR 234
Avro Anson
Avro CF-100
Avro Lancaster
BAC Canberra
BAC Strikemaster
Bede BD5J
Blackburn Buccaneer
Boeing B-17G
Bolton Paul Defiant
Bristol Beaufighter
CAC Boomerang
Canadair CF-5A..D
Cessna A-37 Dragonfly
Chance Vought F4U-5
Consolidated B-24J
Consolidated Catalina
Convair F-102A
Convair F-106
Curtiss P-40B/C
Curtiss SB2C Helldiver
Dassault Mirage 2000
Dassault Mirage III (and Kfir variants)
Dassault Mystere/Super Mystere
Dassault Rafale
De Havilland Hornet
De Havilland Mosquito (New tooling, obviously)
De Havilland Vampire
Dornier Do17
Dornier Do19
Dornier Do 217
Dornier Do 335
Douglas C-47
Douglas TBD Devastor
English Electric Lightning
F.1
Fairey Firefly
FFVS 22
Focke Wulf Ta 154
Focke Wulf Ta 183 Huckebein
General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper
General Dynamics F111 Aardvaark
General Dynamics F4D
Gloster Javlin
Gloster Meteor
Grumman A-6 Intruder
Grumman EA-6B
Grumman F11F Tiger
Grumman F11F-1
Grumman F7F
Grumman J2F Duck
Handley PageHalifax
Hawker Harrier GR.3
Hawker Sea Harrier FRS.1
Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIC
Hawker Tempest
Hawker Typhoon
Heinkel 114B
Heinkel 115
Heinkel He 177
Heinkel He 219
Henschel Hs129
Horton Ho 229
Junkers Ju 52
Junkers Ju 86
Junkers Ju 88 A-4 etc
Junkers Ju 88 G nightfighter
Junkers Ju 88 G-6
Kawanishi N1K George
Kawanishi Shiden
Kawasaki Ki 45 Toryu
Kfir C2
Kyushu J7W Shinden-Kai
Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Gudkov LaGG-3
Lavochkin La-5
Lavochkin La-7
Lockheed F-22
Lockheed Hudson
Lockheed S-3 Viking
Lockheed Ventura
Martin B-26 Marauder
McDonnell CF-101
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom (British)
McDonnell F-101B or RF-101B Voodoo, (preferably both)
Messerschmitt Me 410
Messerschmitt Me110 G
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 15
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 17 (accurate, new tool)
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 25
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 29
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 31
Mitsubishi G4M Betty
Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah
Nakajima B5N Kate
Nakajima Ki-87
North American AT-6/ Harvard
North American F-86E
North American F-86H
Northrop F-89 Scorpion
Northrop P-61 Black Widow
Panavia Tornado F3
Panavia Tornado GR1/4 (a new moulding)
Pitts 2
Pitts S-1
Saab 105
Saab 17
Saab 18
Saab 21A/R
Saab 29
Saab 32
Saab 35
Saab 37
Saab 91
Saab Draken
Saab Gripen
Saab J-29 Tunnan
Saab Viggen
Savoia Marchetti SM. 79 Spaviero
Sikorsky SH-3
Sukhoi Su-17
Sukhoi Su-22
Sukhoi Su-22
Sukhoi Su-24
Sukhoi Su-47
Sukhoi Su-7
Sukhoi Su-9
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vb
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIX
Supermarine Walrus
Vickers Wellington
Vought Kingfisher
Westland Whirlwind, (plane, not helicopter)
Westland Wyvern
Yakovlev Yak 1
Yakovlev Yak 3
Yakovlev Yak 7
Yakovlev Yak 9

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#51 Pete G.

Pete G.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ron,

You did that QUICKLY? That's quite a list! Everything from mainstream to esoteric.

I might have missed it, but I did not see a P-51B/Mustang III in the mix...

Thanks for the effort!

Pete

#52 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 40,416 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

I might have missed it, but I did not see a P-51B/Mustang III in the mix...

Pete, even dismissing the old Revell kit, there's still the extant Trumpeter releases (02274 & 02283). Besides, I'm sure it's already on Tamiya's hit list.

Kev

#53 Pete G.

Pete G.

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

Boy, I sure hope you're right! I've always liked the B more than the D. Especially with the Malcolm hood. But I'm not complaining. A D model from Tamiya is great too!

#54 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Too much time on your hands, Ron.
I tweaked the list a bit reducing it down to 134
All kits assumed to be 1/32-scale.

1/24 list looked something like this:

De Havilland Vampire
Junkers Ju 87D
Don't you wish some people would use glue...
Instead of lipstick?

#55 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

Can someone tell me what an F.1 is please?
Instead of lipstick?

#56 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,541 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

Too much time on your hands, Ron.

Today I do for sure. It's cold and rainy here and the wife is also out of town so I am batching it all weekend with the cats to keep me company. Just waiting for some paint to dry then start masking out the Spit to spray marking

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#57 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Isn't the Shinden Kai available?
Instead of lipstick?

#58 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Which clever person wants a Reaper?
Instead of lipstick?

#59 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,918 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

I'm not seeing the English Electric Lightning on the list! F1 would I presume be the Mirage varient. Who needs a new tool Tornado? You can get the relevant GR4 parts from Flightpath to add to the superb Revell kit, and TwoMikes previously released a GR4 set. And just for the sake of it...

Ki-45
LAGG-3
Harrier GR.3
Sea Harrier FRS.1

#60 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

I'm not seeing the English Electric Lightning on the list! F1 would I presume be the Mirage varient. Who needs a new tool Tornado? You can get the relevant GR4 parts from Flightpath to add to the superb Revell kit, and TwoMikes previously released a GR4 set. And just for the sake of it...

Ki-45
LAGG-3
Harrier GR.3
Sea Harrier FRS.1

The Japanese have all the best plane names... "Dragon Slayer"! I love it.

Shame on us for missing out all the cool Brit Jets.
I've squeezed them all in.
Instead of lipstick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users