1:24 Airfix Mossie

TaffyMan

Hi there

This is my first foray back into the world of modelling for over 20 years. I did intend to start with a model that I had done in the past, the P51 Mustang. But in searching out this model came across Airfix new release of the Mossie in massive 1:24 Scale, one of my all time favourite aircraft! So in true bloke fashion bought both of them!!!!

As for the model for a newbie just getting back in the saddle I would say it was challenging.

Yep that’s a good word for it. Should have started with P 51 but well that would be boring - just to do the easy thing.

The model goes together very well with good fit. I would watch the under-carriage. After accidently breaking it I have had to repair the port one three times. And if you look at it in a aggressive manor or even the slightest breeze and it will fold up.

Think there is some metal AM available now I would defiantly get them. Also the Rubber Bands that Airfix give you for the front gun ammo feeders – They are not much to look at plus they are not easy to paint, it just wont stick and talking not sticking a fiddly nightmare to get to fix in place – I would try to get the Paragon AM replacements if you can I tried just got fed up of waiting. But they defiantly would have looked better.

Final thing if Airfix ever read these sites it’s a shame that they couldn’t have hinged the bomb and belly gun doors, I did try but the hinge thing was way above my pay grade at the moment. At this scale IMHO they could have done it. My reason being yes I like looking at all the workings under her skirts but the real beauty of this aircraft is when she is all sleek and buttoned up. But enough bitching all in all very good model and one I would recommend and do again.

She turned into a bit of an experiment and testing bed for me. Lot’s of first time things tried so I hope you are not to hard on me and you like her – I do and that’s what we do this mad hobby for.

Okay some pictures:-

So who left of the "check you have soldered the wires to the switch before sealing!!!!! ****?**!"

Started my Tourettes syndrome. :BANGHEAD2:

Ah well I will see if I can get in there at some point and cut the switches out and get my fans turning

My disconnected electrics

001-FinMosquito.jpg

Showing her belly. Nice and dirty just how I like my lady’s. My first ever attempt at weathering! When I find a space big enough I will be showing her on a wet airfield with ground crew doing final checks.

002-FinMosquito.jpg

003-FinMosquito.jpg

Tommy and Harry in their office

004-FinMosquito.jpg

005-FinMosquito.jpg

006-FinMosquito.jpg

Some Pictures showing you around

007-FinMosquito.jpg

008-FinMosquito.jpg

008-FinMosquito.jpg

009-FinMosquito.jpg

To many pics so will do a second post

Wow, first attempt at weathering? Can't wait to see what number 10 looks like. Well done!

One question - I am certainly no Mosquito expert - but shouldn't your' darker camoflauge color be green instead of grey? (maybe it is my monitor?)

Scott Gentry

Edited by didiumus

Your Mossie looks great!

You seem to have captured that every day hard worked look that some machines possessed.

The pilots certainly had to be good friends with such little room inside the cockpit (just like the Venom) and yours look like they're very intent on something in there!

Oh how I wish we had a new tool in 1/32 scale to the standard of the Airfix model.

However, your first effort is very admirable and thanks for sharing it with us.

I can't wait to see your next venture, well done! :goodjob:

Roy.

Looks GREAT Taff, especially for a re- entry effort. You've done yourself proud. The weathering is nice, I noticed you did a particularly nice job on weathering the underside. Next time your landing gear break you might try adding metal pins for additional strength. Overall, a fine effort!

Hi Guys – Thanks for looking and the kind word.

Scott – Yep it is green but I shoot the pictures in the evening on to a white background should know better. Might take a couple more whilst we have the sunshine over here.

Roy – Glad I got the hard worked look across. That was the look I was trying to get. Every picture I researched apart from the first delivery shots showed how hard these girls worked. And yes it is very cosy in the cockpit – I moved the Navigator’s arms to a new position to that Airfix had them. Just made it even tighter. You just hope your mate had a shower that morning!!

If they do a new one to the detail they seem to have done on the Venom should be a nice kit. Next effort already in line in the Russia with love GB

Tomcat – I did the pin the damn thing but I think I was too subtle and didn’t put it in deep enough and used the wrong kind of glue. It seems to have worked better now with Super Glue. Fingers and legs crossed.

Crobinsonh - Next one in progress already in the Russia with love GB go and take a look.

Once again thanks for looking and the comments

All the Best - Taff :D

Guest Peterpools

Just a wonderful build and it's hard to believe, this was your first model in 20 years. Excellent fit and finish and the weathering is just my style: used but not Abused. :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

BTW, the pilot and copilot look great! :clap2:

Peter

Just a wonderful build and it's hard to believe, this was your first model in 20 years. Excellent fit and finish and the weathering is just my style: used but not Abused. :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

BTW, the pilot and copilot look great! :clap2:

Peter

Hi Peter - I was very inspired from looking at a lot of the builds around here and the web. The kit fits very well little bit of FAF here and there but Airfix did a good job with this. I learned a lot doing this one so should help me with my next challenge. Yeh they just about fit into that cockpit lets hope they are friends :D

Thanks for looking

Taff

Ah Ha!

20 years away and then you make a comeback with this?

What have you been doing in those years, practising?

That's an absolute stunner. Weathering is nice and dirty and its just fabulous all round.

Well done!

Phil :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Sweet, Taff, very sweet. I've been eyeballing that kit for some time. So many kits, so little time, especially now that I have relapsed on my ship kit addiction!

Congratulations on a job very well done. The weathering is simply spot on.

Bob