I needed a break from working on the undercarriage of my P-39 and I thought some work on DH.6 should just do the trick. Besides the clock is ticking for this GB.
I started with laminating the formers and wing elements on proper thickness cardboard. I used for that 3M 77 multipurpose spray glue. It’s a quick job, and sheets are ready to be cut almost just after the process is over. As Ron predicted the wing structure elements are bit flimsy and difficult to cut. Mine are not perfect, but I hope they do the job. They may still need a touch of sandpaper.
Next, I prepared all sheets with parts by coating them with ModelMaster flat lacquer. I started experimenting with nitrate dope recently, but here I used my old method. The reason is silver print. Nitrate dope penetrates cardstock quite deeply and I was afraid the silver parts will just loose some of their appearance. Masking all silver parts and brushing in MM lacquer seemed much safer solution and it worked as I expected.
Flipping through the kit before I made my decision about the GB entry, I noticed some odd things. First, the cover doesn’t really show the same aircraft as designed. I waited with any conclusions until I can familiarize myself with the topic. Here Windsock Datafile and whatever I found on the Internet came handy.
It appears the kit is for the late production airplane with Curtiss OX-5 engine, which got designation DH.6A. In mid 1918 after a series of test some changes to the design were introduced. First, 10 inches of back-stagger to wings was implemented to reduce chord and camber and overall improve stability. Second, airplane got narrower rudder and elevators. Looking at the assembly drawing of the kit there is apparent back-stagger of the wings. It seems also the kit has narrower tail elements as comparison to the up-scaled plans from Datafile revealed (on the pictures below all drawings are for the late version).
The kit depicts a machine with number C 6597 and based on Robertson info it was manufactured by Morgan & Co. which fitted DH.6 with Curtiss OX-5 engine and some with 80-hp Renault. I haven’t found any rule concerning use of 4 or 2 blade propeller, so the designer was basically free to pick any. So far so good.
What seems not to match in the kit are upswept exhaust pipes, which it appears were characteristic to a version with RAF1A engine, and not Curtiss.
Here line drawings of early DH.6 with RAF1A
and late one with Curtiss OX-5
There are also some issues with a profile of the fuselage in the nose and tail section. Comparing them to up-scaled to 1:33 plans showed some small discrepancies. These differences are probably workable, but I’m not that confident I’m able to fix them. Here I just wanted to note that I’m aware of it. The only thing I’m going to change are the exhaust pipes.
Now I'm ready to glue things together
Edited by Tomek, 13 May 2011 - 03:58 PM.