Foiled Has Royal Australian Air Force P-40E

Out2gtcha

FINALLY.

I can start putting something together other than plywood, 2 x 4s, angle brackets and drywall anchors. :rolleyes:

This is the first project in the new model room so there might be a few changes hither or yon, depending on what I find I need. The first project was supposed to be a 32nd scale Mitchell, but that kit is delayed and will be started after this project likely.

Ive always wanted to do another 32nd Has kit since the completion of my last one, which was a great kit, Gabroski's, P-47D bubbletop. I have also heard great things about the new tool P-40 kit, and ever since I found a few cool looking natural metal schemes, I decided it was a good time to start this project.

If any of you saw my last project (Dixie Boy) you will know that even though it was foiled, and although I was VERY pleased with the way it came out, it was still quite a bit out of the realm of even MY norm, as I had to keep things VERY tidy and VERY shiny to reproduce the 1:1 ship accurately. This is great for lessons learned and to add to my modeling skill set but makes for a trying build at times.

This create will be foiled as well but will be much , more akin to what I like, a fairly weathered, used, in combat look. The foil when grained right, is very good at accurately producing this look.

There IS going to be a first for me on this build though; using pre-made masks over the foil. I use frisket film to mask and paint over foil all the time, but have not ever used masks I purchased over foil, so that part will be new.

I think I have learned enough about my own techniques and the foil properties, to do this successfully, as I have checked the stickiness of the masks VS the frisket film Ill be using for other parts, and they are similar............or at least enough to work with.

The trick to pulling this off is using the thicker foil, double checking the amount of glue ON that foil, then graining, and TRIPLE cleaning, in places where paint will come into contact with foil.

There will be no need for primer in any of this if its prepped right.

Im really no rivet counter................I usually accomplish things by eye and/or by the seat of my pants so bear with me. If Im making some glaring mistake please speak up, but im not changing too much (seat and belts are an exception) as Id like this to be OOB with some slight additions only. No major corrections on this one.

Right then. Here we go!

This is the RAAF scheme I will be shooting for:

P-40_RAAF_2.jpg

Here is what I'm starting with for the build:

WIP_P40_1.jpg

WIP_P40_2.jpg

WIP_P40_3.jpg

The Master Details resin tail surfaces are exquisitely molded and I cant wait to use them....

WIP_P40_4.jpg

Since my Has P-40E came with the crappy windscreen with the "phantom brace" on it, Ive acquired a replacement windscreen from HLJ.com without the ghost divider in it

WIP_P40_5.jpg

The first duty was to take some of the pit pieces off the sprues and start cleaning them up. Has stuff is molded decent but will have some Eduard additions

WIP_P40_6.jpg

A while back I acquired a Cutting Edge 32nd RAF P-40 seat w/ Sutton harnesses molded in. It is quite nicely molded........BUT I love Radu's belts and think I can have a go at modifying the Eduard seat to mimic the ribs in the Cutting Edge seat.

The Eduard seat has nice rivet detail but is lacking the strengthening ribs found in the P-40 documentation I have found that have the Sutton harnesses fitted

WIP_P40_7.jpg

WIP_P40_8.jpg

Well guys thanks for stopping in............im going to go build some sh!t! :lol:

Till next time gents,

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

OH YEA ! Welcome back to glue sniffing, my friend! This is gonna be good!............Harv :popcorn:

Cant wait to see how you like your new stand

Thanks Harv...........me either! Its a tad on the large side, but I had the room so I am using it............one side for the main model and foiling/foil cutting, and the other side for parts/sub assemblies and what not.

Brian

...........Regards the seat, don't you add the rib detail with a pen?

Correctamundo!

A normal ball point pen seems to be able to re-create this type of ribbing well. I just use some Dymo tape as guides and work away......

Cheers,

Brian

Regards the seat, don't you add the rib detail with a pen?

Correctamundo!

A normal ball point pen seems to be able to re-create this type of ribbing well. I just use some Dymo tape as guides and work away......

Cheers,

Brian

Duh...........im an idiot.........didnt see that on the back of the seat were the guides for those strengthening ribs. :rolleyes: It says to use the pen right on the instructions............was just going to do it on my own.......at least I know now I was on the right track. :lol:

Brian

Cool, can't wait to see this one come together!

You mentioned getting a replacement windscreen for this kit from HLJ, how did you go about that? Mine has that damned phantom brace on it too. <_<

Check THIS out. :D Just make sure when your ordering you give them all the info they request including the sprue number you want to order, as that is the only way you can get parts, is by the full sprue.

Im spending tonight dry fitting and prepping some front office parts.

This is vaguely the look Im going for, slightly worn, chipped look:

WIP_P40_9.jpg

Cheers for now,

Brian

Aha! Nice way to end those withdrawal symptoms!

Bet you'll be happier when those nice new cutting mats are nicely "weathered"!

Tip here, replace the Aussie pilot figure's flying helmet in his hand with a bottle of beer.

Much more authentic.

Looking forward to this one Bud!

Phil :speak_cool: :party0023:

Thanks guys!

And YES Phil, I think Ill consulte Kev as to what he might have in his hand if HE were flying.......... :lol:

As for the part Daywalker, definitely mention you want the "corrected windscreen without the fictional brace" is how I specified my order.

HAHA! Back to the dungeon.....Im spraying some silver base tonight after getting the pit pieces dry fitted the way I want. Then its on to some salt, then interior color and weathering.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha