Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14

32 replies to this topic

#1 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:40 AM

Not completely completed, but enough, I think, to put into Ready for Inspection.

Work In Progress thread here:
http://forum.largesc...opic=29722&st=0

A couple of walk-a-round shots here:
Posted Image
Home stenciled spiral, tulip, chevron and national marking, aluminum exhaust shield, Warm Grey gouache over Black gouache exhaust, foil shoulder harness straps with Eduard P.E. buckles, Burnt Umber mud, scratchbuilt canopy, windshield and some cockpit details, freehand mottling.

Posted Image
Rudder, stabs, and tailwheel removed and slightly repositioned.

Posted Image
Other side. Scratched starter crank.

Posted Image
Burnt Umber mud, stretched clear sprue tail position light.

Posted Image
Spattered mud.

Posted Image
Other side.

Posted Image
Scratchbuilt wheel well detail.

Posted Image
Other side.

Posted Image
Scratchbuilt ETC Rack and tank retaining strap fastener. Jerry Rutman anti-sway bases.

Posted Image
Other side.

A few more below, not many.
Thanks for looking.
Sincerely,
Mark
  • 109, Dany Boy, Zero77 and 1 other like this

Works in Progress:   Italeri 1/35 PT596

Completed WiP:  Erich Hartmann, Bf109G-14

Idle WiP:  Fw190A-5 Black 7 1/25th IDF Sho't, c.1982Bf109K-4, I./KG (J)6, BohemiaHungarian Bf109G-14, Bf109F-4/Z Trop,Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, Shelf of DOOM!: Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex , IDF AH-1 Tzefa FWerfer-Granate 21's,

Ready for Inspection:  Erich Hartmann, Bf109G-14, Ludwig Franzisket, Bf109G-6

#2 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

Canopy and cockpit stuff:
Posted Image
Stretched clear sprue glass gas line, windshield grab handles, windshield flare port.

Posted Image
Windshield emergency canopy release handle, scratchbuilt rear deck details, miscellaneous wiring.

Posted Image
Sanded thin rudder pedals, styrene strip retaining straps.

Thanks for looking.
Sincerely,
Mark

Edited by dodgem37, 06 February 2011 - 02:54 AM.

• Zero77 and andromeda673 like this

Idle WiP:  Fw190A-5 Black 7 1/25th IDF Sho't, c.1982Bf109K-4, I./KG (J)6, BohemiaHungarian Bf109G-14, Bf109F-4/Z Trop,Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, Shelf of DOOM!: Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex , IDF AH-1 Tzefa FWerfer-Granate 21's,

#3 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 38,367 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

Wonderful result of some wonderful work Mark. I don't understand why you'd think that your painting and finishing is not on par with your construction and scratch building. It most definitely is in my book, and you've executed both masterfully here. Congrats on a fabulous build.

Kev

#4 joe

joe

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

Awesome build and finish - great stuff.....
Cheers
Joe

#5 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

Very , very impressive!!! :bow:

In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ; P-40E 

#6 PhilB

PhilB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

Well now my friend, what can we say about this one??? :hmmm:

Just looking at the RFI post above I would say its one of the best 109's I've ever seen.
Having been with you on the long journey for the build,
the superb and painstaking detail you researched, planned and implemented it makes the end result even more of a triumph.
Thank you for sharing your build with us Mark and also an even bigger thank you for the support, encouragement and
cameraderie you gave those of us who were along with you on the Trip to Russville GB.

Well Done mate!

Phil :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Currently being abused
F-8C VF-84 Fisher conversion

#7 Loic

Loic

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yes, some very fine work indeed and one outstanding result.
Well done again!

Cheers!________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In the work :   Dornier Do 335   /   A-1H/J Skyraider   /   Mirage F1 (Scratchbuild)  /  Mirage IIIC

Completed builds :   Hawker Tempest (kitbash)   /   Nakajima B5N Kate (Scratchbuild)   /   Spitfire Mk I

Master pattern work:   DB-603 Engine    /   F4U-1 Corsair engine bay 

#8 Lud13

Lud13

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

I followed this build from the start to the end. I must say its one of the best 109s i have ever seen. Its unbelivable how much attention to detal while buiding, painting and above all waethering you put in this kit.

Dejan

Edited by Lud13, 06 February 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#9 Ripaman

Ripaman

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

Very nice Mark
Like the weathering very much, great job all around and I see you like to do a lot of detailing. :goodjob:

Richard

#10 Allok

Allok

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:33 AM

OUTSTANDING!!!

I can never get the camera that close to my models.
Don't you wish some people would use glue...
Instead of lipstick?

#11 dashotgun

dashotgun

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Beautifully constructed and painted a masterwork! with the right photography would look 1:1.

Edited by dashotgun, 09 February 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#12 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Thank you, Kevin, for all of your wonderful comments.
In response, I have a lot of 'prior knowledge' built up from years of scratchbuilding. But because I haven't ever put a finish on anything, oh, I've built and painted models, and the last two RFI threads I've posted I even put on a wash, This is the first time I have tried anything beyond a wash.

Maybe not by other's standards, but certainly by my (past?) standards, this was a really involved finish for me. I didn't have any idea how it was going to turn out when I was doing it. I didn't have a plan. It was all an experiment. (OMG!) Something I had never done during the finishing phase because I lacked the problem solving-skills to recover from disaster, or the visualizing skills that would enable me to envision what it would look like. This build has taught me both. And believe me, when you realize that, you can approach finishing with a much more relaxed approach.

So, in a nutshell, that is why I had believed my painting and finishing was not on par with my scratchbuilding. I had never put a finish on anything that was beyond basic. Now I just need to expand my painting and finishing skill set. Was this too wordy?

Thank you Joe, Martinn.

PhilB, my man. I am in your debt. You pulled my thru, kept me going, showed me the light. Thank you.

Thank you, Loic. Your comments, compliments, and following along are greatly appreciated.

Lud13, Phil, about this being one of the best 109's you've ever seen. From your mouth to the Judge's ear! Thank you.

Richard, God is in the details! I indeed do like it busy.

Keith, I use an old hand-me-down-from-my-daughter Nikon Coolpix 5600. It's an easy camera to use. I'll be honost. The imagery is ALOT farther away and smaller here. I shoot with my magnifier on. Sorry, Jerry, but I use a magnifier.

Dashotgun, I love your handle, it reminds me of my wedding! Thank you for your wonderful compliments. 1:1, huh? Photoshop here I come!

Thank you everyone.
Sincerely,
Mark

#13 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:21 AM

Great looking build!!! Coincidentally, I was just at the local museum checking out their 109G-10 and it was also done in Hartmann's tulip markings.
Small world!
Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#14 blackbetty

blackbetty

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:09 AM

awesome work, mark! weathering is spectacular.

back after 20 years

DUE TO A HOSTING PROBLEM A LOT OF PICS OF MY BUILDTHREADS ARE GONE. ANYONE INTERESTED CAN REQUEST THESE VIA PM FROM ME

#15 mattlow

mattlow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Mark

Nice to see her finally resplendent in paint and weathering.

Great build, excellent paint job and I do like the muddy finish - bit of a shock at first but I'm liking it more and more.

What's next?

Matt

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users