Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14

dodgem37

Not completely completed, but enough, I think, to put into Ready for Inspection.

Work In Progress thread here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29722&st=0

A couple of walk-a-round shots here:

DSCN5754.jpg

Home stenciled spiral, tulip, chevron and national marking, aluminum exhaust shield, Warm Grey gouache over Black gouache exhaust, foil shoulder harness straps with Eduard P.E. buckles, Burnt Umber mud, scratchbuilt canopy, windshield and some cockpit details, freehand mottling.

DSCN5756.jpg

Rudder, stabs, and tailwheel removed and slightly repositioned.

DSCN5764.jpg

Other side. Scratched starter crank.

DSCN5736.jpg

Burnt Umber mud, stretched clear sprue tail position light.

DSCN5778.jpg

Spattered mud.

DSCN5779.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5774.jpg

Scratchbuilt wheel well detail.

DSCN5775.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5784.jpg

Scratchbuilt ETC Rack and tank retaining strap fastener. Jerry Rutman anti-sway bases.

DSCN5785.jpg

Other side.

A few more below, not many.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Canopy and cockpit stuff:

DSCN5786.jpg

Stretched clear sprue glass gas line, windshield grab handles, windshield flare port.

DSCN5787.jpg

Windshield emergency canopy release handle, scratchbuilt rear deck details, miscellaneous wiring.

DSCN5788.jpg

Sanded thin rudder pedals, styrene strip retaining straps.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Wonderful result of some wonderful work Mark. I don't understand why you'd think that your painting and finishing is not on par with your construction and scratch building. It most definitely is in my book, and you've executed both masterfully here. Congrats on a fabulous build.

Kev

Well now my friend, what can we say about this one??? :hmmm:

Just looking at the RFI post above I would say its one of the best 109's I've ever seen.

Having been with you on the long journey for the build,

the superb and painstaking detail you researched, planned and implemented it makes the end result even more of a triumph.

Thank you for sharing your build with us Mark and also an even bigger thank you for the support, encouragement and

cameraderie you gave those of us who were along with you on the Trip to Russville GB.

Well Done mate!

Phil :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I followed this build from the start to the end. I must say its one of the best 109s i have ever seen. Its unbelivable how much attention to detal while buiding, painting and above all waethering you put in this kit.

Dejan

Edited by Lud13

Thank you, Kevin, for all of your wonderful comments.

In response, I have a lot of 'prior knowledge' built up from years of scratchbuilding. But because I haven't ever put a finish on anything, oh, I've built and painted models, and the last two RFI threads I've posted I even put on a wash, This is the first time I have tried anything beyond a wash.

Maybe not by other's standards, but certainly by my (past?) standards, this was a really involved finish for me. I didn't have any idea how it was going to turn out when I was doing it. I didn't have a plan. It was all an experiment. (OMG!) Something I had never done during the finishing phase because I lacked the problem solving-skills to recover from disaster, or the visualizing skills that would enable me to envision what it would look like. This build has taught me both. And believe me, when you realize that, you can approach finishing with a much more relaxed approach.

So, in a nutshell, that is why I had believed my painting and finishing was not on par with my scratchbuilding. I had never put a finish on anything that was beyond basic. Now I just need to expand my painting and finishing skill set. Was this too wordy?

Thank you Joe, Martinn.

PhilB, my man. I am in your debt. You pulled my thru, kept me going, showed me the light. Thank you.

Thank you, Loic. Your comments, compliments, and following along are greatly appreciated.

Lud13, Phil, about this being one of the best 109's you've ever seen. From your mouth to the Judge's ear! Thank you.

Richard, God is in the details! I indeed do like it busy.

Keith, I use an old hand-me-down-from-my-daughter Nikon Coolpix 5600. It's an easy camera to use. I'll be honost. The imagery is ALOT farther away and smaller here. I shoot with my magnifier on. Sorry, Jerry, but I use a magnifier.

Dashotgun, I love your handle, it reminds me of my wedding! Thank you for your wonderful compliments. 1:1, huh? Photoshop here I come!

Thank you everyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark

Nice to see her finally resplendent in paint and weathering.

Great build, excellent paint job and I do like the muddy finish - bit of a shock at first but I'm liking it more and more.

What's next?

Matt